5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointed for the second time, this will be my last FCA product...

bighorn.eh?

Reaction score
Hey everyone!!

So a little back story here:

I purchased a 2019 Rebel back in November 2018. The truck ended up having water issues on both the driver and passenger side firewall/footwell area. Water was finding its way in through the seams of the body and pooling on the floor soaking the carpet and underlay. Fought hard with the dealership over the leak (and some other issues about the sale) and they decided to take the truck on trade for a different one, no cost to me.

I special ordered a Bighorn (was hoping that a new build would eliminate some of the early assembly issues). It showed up Valentines day. I did not check for leaks right away, obviously I should of, but one would think that is a very isolated problem.

Anyway as I'm detailing my truck this morning, I feel some dampness on the drivers side carpet under the floor mat.....UH OH. So, I pop the kick panel trim off and lift back the carpet and there is a large puddle of water. Again.

2 different trucks built 8 months apart, both leaking, Same owner.

This is definitely a larger scale issue than Ram and FCA are admitting. I will be going straight to the dealership and phoning FCA Monday to start fighting for a buy back. So incredibly disappointed.

Just want to to make everyone aware, check your floorboards!!!

Last edited:

SColang22

Reaction score
Hey everyone!!

I purchased a 2019 Rebel back in November 2018. The truck ended up having water issues on both the driver and passenger side firewall/footwell area. Water was finding its way in through the seams of the body and pooling on the floor soaking the carpet and underlay. Fought hard with the dealership and they decided to take the truck on trade for a different one, no cost to me.

I special ordered a Bighorn (was hoping that a new build would eliminate some of the early assembly issues). It showed up Valentines day. I did not check for leaks right away, obviously I should of, but one would think that is a very isolated problem.

Anyway as I'm detailing my truck this morning, I feel some dampness on the drivers side carpet under the floor mat.....UH OH. So, I pop the kick panel trim off and lift back the carpet and there is a large puddle of water. Again.

This is definitely a larger scale issue than Ram and FCA are admitting. I will be going straight to the dealership and phoning FCA Monday to start fighting for a buy back. So incredibly disappointed.

You're the first I've heard have this issue

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven’t heard about “leaking through the seams” before. I’ve heard about drains and firewall. Someone also had a cracked rear window frame. It would be incredibly helpful if you could post back why the dealer finds and the resolution. Also what FCA says. It must be incredibly frustrating for you to say the least. I’m a bit surprised this particular issue would be happening on this late if a build.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!

I purchased a 2019 Rebel back in November 2018. The truck ended up having water issues on both the driver and passenger side firewall/footwell area. Water was finding its way in through the seams of the body and pooling on the floor soaking the carpet and underlay. Fought hard with the dealership and they decided to take the truck on trade for a different one, no cost to me.

Wow, yuck. Hang in there... and yes I remember reading another thread or two about faulty seam welds allowing water through them.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For those interested, here are posts on similar problems. At the very least this is a list of folks who might have advice dealing with and fixing it (the links read like they are unrelated, but they should take you posts on leaking weld seams):

bighorn.eh?

Reaction score
I haven’t heard about “leaking through the seams” before. I’ve heard about drains and firewall. Someone also had a cracked rear window frame. It would be incredibly helpful if you could post back why the dealer finds and the resolution. Also what FCA says. It must be incredibly frustrating for you to say the least. I’m a bit surprised this particular issue would be happening on this late if a build.

Ill post some pictures here and a video later!

Will definitely keep everyone updated!

sergetexan

Reaction score
Just checked my new Ram (lone star/ big horn) and found the carpet pad wet on drivers side same as the OP! We just had a big storm and truck was not on wet road so not sure if coming through weld seam or somehow along door seals, nonetheless will Be addressing next week with dealer. It rains a lot down here in Houston and I need to nip in the bud. There goes the new car smell...
Thanks for posting as finding out now I may have a chance to minimize damage.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just checked my new Ram (lone star/ big horn) and found the carpet pad wet on drivers side same as the OP! We just had a big storm and truck was not on wet road so not sure if coming through weld seam or somehow along door seals, nonetheless will Be addressing next week with dealer. It rains a lot down here in Houston and I need to nip in the bud. There goes the new car smell...
Thanks for posting as finding out now I may have a chance to minimize damage.
Noticed you have pano sun roof. Be sure the drain tube grommets are properly installed on rear of cab. If not water can flow to front. Be sure you check rear carpet area. There is a lot of info on this forum about water leaks. Just do a search. Who is your dealer in Houston?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Noticed you have pano sun roof. Be sure the drain tube grommets are properly installed on rear of cab. If not water can flow to front. Be sure you check rear carpet area. There is a lot of info on this forum about water leaks. Just do a search. Who is your dealer in Houston?
Yes to this... water can travel front to back and back to front. Can even wick upwards a bit. Goes wherever it feels like going (as long as physics lets it).

sergetexan

Reaction score
Thanks for reply, I have checked trarvseain grommets and they look to be installed correctly. Could not find any moisture wicking past driver floor board, do not think it is coming from back of cab. Duke 2001 - Houston dealer is Don McGill on 59 and beltway 8. Have appointment on 30th to review. I tried to replicate by hosing down drivers side of truck but nothing. It may be such a small leak that it will be hard to find but will continue to bring moisture in. Only reason I found was checking based on these posts, the moisture is only in pad had not accumulated enough to soak through carpet.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
My truck was built in March and the passenger side sunroof drain grommet was not installed properly letting a small amount of water in. No excuse for these issues to continue this late in the production cycle. But that's been my only issue so far!

sergetexan

Reaction score
Thanks for reply, I have checked rear drain grommets and they look to be installed correctly. Could not find any moisture wicking past driver floor board, do not think it is coming from back of cab. Duke 2001 - Houston dealer is Gillman Auto -59 and beltway 8. Have appointment on 30th to review. I tried to replicate by hosing down drivers side of truck but nothing. It may be such a small leak that it will be hard to find but will continue to bring moisture in. Only reason I found was checking based on these posts, the moisture is only in pad had not accumulated enough to soak through carpet.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Thanks for reply, I have checked trarvseain grommets and they look to be installed correctly. Could not find any moisture wicking past driver floor board, do not think it is coming from back of cab. Duke 2001 - Houston dealer is Don McGill on 59 and beltway 8. Have appointment on 30th to review. I tried to replicate by hosing down drivers side of truck but nothing. It may be such a small leak that it will be hard to find but will continue to bring moisture in. Only reason I found was checking based on these posts, the moisture is only in pad had not accumulated enough to soak through carpet.

Try running water down the cowl. Fords used to be notorious for the drain holes (between the door and the fender) plugging up and allowing water to get into the cabs.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We're lucky to have an excellent independent water and air leak company (Seek and Seal) in the Orlando metro area. All of the dealerships use them for leaks. They find the leaks and fix them. Every manufacturer has water leaks and they prove it as they make the rounds to all of them.
The OP indicates it's a large scale issue. To him, yes but not widespread. Good luck with lemon lawing a vehicle that hasn't had an attempt to repair.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We're lucky to have an excellent independent water and air leak company (Seek and Seal) in the Orlando metro area. All of the dealerships use them for leaks. They find the leaks and fix them. Every manufacturer has water leaks and they prove it as they make the rounds to all of them.
The OP indicates it's a large scale issue. To him, yes but not widespread. Good luck with lemon lawing a vehicle that hasn't had an attempt to repair.

What an awesome thing to have!

bighorn.eh?

Reaction score

The fact that both 2019 Rams I have owned, built 8 months apart, have the same issue, yes I would say it is more wide spread than you think.....It will probably go unnoticed by a lot of owners...

Lize

Reaction score
A common fault on old Range Rovers, floor holds water and rots out from the inside, in this example its usually blocked roof drains which puts too much stress on the door seal. Unless you look it can easily go unnoticed as the water runs down the inside bodywork behind trim and under the carpet and with sound proofing it takes a long time to soak through. Also any slight dampness of the actual carpet is often hidden by floor mats too. The door seal has to have really failed for it to be pooling and be noticeable. Surprisingly there is no smell and of course no mould as carpets are made to resist this.

@bighorn.eh? Hope yours get resolved and thanks for the pointers for others to check theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread