5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Gauge Cluster Overview

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Jimmy07 digital cluster would work with an older pre-23 bcm or would it be missing some options?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Jimmy07 digital cluster would work with an older pre-23 bcm or would it be missing some options?
Stand by for a few days. Another member is doing this as we speak on a pre-2023, and we’re working it out.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stand by for a few days. Another member is doing this as we speak on a pre-2023, and we’re working it out.
cool project. was talk about possible needing a UC5 module for the cluster & HUD modules, but maybe that's just if you want the turn-by-turn directions to display?

cliffsta

Reaction score
wonder if the new cluster will be working with the new apple car play design customization options coming soon.

Nothing from CarPlay shows in my digital cluster so I doubt this will affect or offer anything new. Though I do love any improvements they can make to regular ole CarPlay. Gotten to where I hardly use it in my truck. I do use it a lot in my wife’s Murano.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
wonder if the new cluster will be working with the new apple car play design customization options coming soon.

The discussion is about gauge cluster, not radio display, or second dash screen, It is for driver information, not entertainment. That's the last thing needed is more driver distraction.

titan3636

Reaction score
The discussion is about gauge cluster, not radio display, or second dash screen, It is for driver information, not entertainment. That's the last thing needed is more driver distraction.
The video I attached shows how car play will soon be able to take over and modify and customize factory gauges and driver info in addition to entertainment features on other displays. It’ll basically have the ability take over for the factory gauge cluster and be able to do style and function changes all kinds of ways. The update hasn’t been implemented yet and will be something avail for a lot of new vehicles that are going from analog to a total digital gauge cluster.

IMG_0691.png IMG_0693.png IMG_0692.png IMG_0694.png

Last edited:

Derrick-23

Reaction score
RAM wasn’t in the list of the 14 car companies that were identified at last years WWDC when they announced the next gen CarPlay.

spithead051

Reaction score
The video I attached shows how car play will soon be able to take over and modify and customize factory gauges and driver info in addition to entertainment features on other displays. It’ll basically have the ability take over for the factory gauge cluster and be able to do style and function changes all kinds of ways. The update hasn’t been implemented yet and will be something avail for a lot of new vehicles that are going from analog to a total digital gauge cluster.

View attachment 155124 View attachment 155125 View attachment 155126 View attachment 155127

The other problem you have to think about. Automakers have to be willing to update their software to support some of these new functions.

Most automakers do not release a single update for anything on their cars post-sale unless there is a safety, recall, or massive warranty issue because they've already got your money. Want new features? Buy a new one!

RAM couldn't make a well operating gauge cluster. These trucks have had Car Play and Android Auto for 5+ years and the only navigation supported is the built-in system. I would be less annoyed with how terrible this cluster is if they removed the entire settings menu because the "settings" you can change are a joke. My 5 year old car that cost have as much new, with a 2" screen in the cluster provides more relevant information in a better format than this new one does.

I am rarely a "the old way was better!" kinda guy but this is one of those examples where it is. I am not a fan of the all digital clusters in general but I have seen some automakers put some nice setups together that do actually utilize the screen in a way that an older analog/digital display would not handle well.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The other problem you have to think about. Automakers have to be willing to update their software to support some of these new functions.

Most automakers do not release a single update for anything on their cars post-sale unless there is a safety, recall, or massive warranty issue because they've already got your money. Want new features? Buy a new one!

RAM couldn't make a well operating gauge cluster. These trucks have had Car Play and Android Auto for 5+ years and the only navigation supported is the built-in system. I would be less annoyed with how terrible this cluster is if they removed the entire settings menu because the "settings" you can change are a joke. My 5 year old car that cost have as much new, with a 2" screen in the cluster provides more relevant information in a better format than this new one does.

I am rarely a "the old way was better!" kinda guy but this is one of those examples where it is. I am not a fan of the all digital clusters in general but I have seen some automakers put some nice setups together that do actually utilize the screen in a way that an older analog/digital display would not handle well.
True, though I think this would go hand-in-hand with the subscription services that we keep hearing about. Want to change your VIC theme? Just add another monthly fee 🙄

spithead051

Reaction score
True, though I think this would go hand-in-hand with the subscription services that we keep hearing about. Want to change your VIC theme? Just add another monthly fee 🙄

I would happily pay a subscription for real ECU, TCU, BCM, etc updates that either fixed wonkiness or added new features. Do work, get money. But no, instead it's pay for heated seats because if you asked an automaker executive to open a door by turning a handle they would somehow remove the door from existence and crawl out of a vent.

titan3636

Reaction score

I think I’m a fan of my 21 limited analog cluster over the full digital as well. I do like how the digital cluster has the option to change the badge “limited” “rebel” or whatever from the trim logo to another option like time, temp, compass, etc rather than just the trim name.
My only wish for the main system itself would be full screen CarPlay on the 12” UC4. That’d be awesome.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He has a little time to work on it. The clusters are not available yet. Showed on another thread today, member said his parts guy said May.
Yeah he said they should be getting a good bit beginning of May and would let me know when they hit. He isn’t with a dealer though so I don’t know about when dealers will be able to get them. I’ll def pass along information when I get updated from him.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Disregard - after some additional digging it sounds like they only offer the new cluster on the Laramie GT package or higher trims starting with the Rebel...
Can anyone confirm if the 12" digital cluster is actually standard equipment in all 2023's? I just ordered a Laramie and it shows a 7" TFT cluster and the web pics look like the older analog cluster... perhaps a supply chain issue?

Last edited:

Kumba1010

Reaction score
Disregard - after some additional digging it sounds like they only offer the new cluster on the Laramie GT package or higher trims starting with the Rebel...
Can anyone confirm if the 12" digital cluster is actually standard equipment in all 2023's? I just ordered a Laramie and it shows a 7" TFT cluster and the web pics look like the older analog cluster... perhaps a supply chain issue?
The new 12" cluster is standard on Laramie G/T, Rebel, Longhorn and Limited...It is not available with the other trims.

Users who are viewing this thread