5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differential or Transmission Clunk

Hicksz1

Reaction score
Not supposed to be more than .005-.007" for the AAM 10.5 axle but I know its more than that.
I have a built Chrysler 8.75 pumpkin for my old car and it has a true .008 and doesn't clunk. My guess is that there's backlash in excess of .010-.012
This is what my clunk while driving sounds like. When your turning drive shaft back and forth is the noise coming from the rear end or up by the tranny.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is what my clunk while driving sounds like. When your turning drive shaft back and forth is the noise coming from the rear end or up by the tranny.

Yours sounds like something is broken or loose and moving in the suspension. Once a diff has a problem thst can cause a noise, it does it all the time, every ring and pinion rotation, not randomly.

When I rotate the driveshaft, the noise is coming from the trans however the noise is caused by the backlash in the diff and the noise or the clunk you hear in the 2 above videos is the trans parking prawl locking the trans output. This noise is normal and all auto transmissions do this; put any vehicle in park then get out and push it. You can rock the vehicle back and forth about 1-2".
What you see in mine and the other video is the driveshaft moving with the vehicle in park due to the backlash in the ring and pinion gear.

Hicksz1

Reaction score
Yours sounds like something is broken or loose and moving in the suspension. Once a diff has a problem thst can cause a noise, it does it all the time, every ring and pinion rotation, not randomly.

When I rotate the driveshaft, the noise is coming from the trans however the noise is caused by the backlash in the diff and the noise or the clunk you hear in the 2 above videos is the trans parking prawl locking the trans output. This noise is normal and all auto transmissions do this; put any vehicle in park then get out and push it. You can rock the vehicle back and forth about 1-2".
What you see in mine and the other video is the driveshaft moving with the vehicle in park due to the backlash in the ring and pinion gear.
Yes happens all the time not every rotation thou.. Like when I yeild and go. This video was me slowing down for a turn. You hear the first clunk on the down shift to 3rd gear. That loud clunk is it upshifting into 4th gear. Driving me crazy. It goes in for a forth time Thursday. I'm not planning on them finding a problem. It's a etorque w 3.92 rear end. I don't understand why these top engineer's can't figure this out. I have a gmc that does it to. But it's got 180k on it.

Hicksz1

Reaction score
This is my 2021 ram 1500 etorque. I'm getting here's around too. Nobody has a answer. Or looking for a answer. Regrets big time.

kdf414

Reaction score
What exactly are you feeling?
When I come to a "stop" then accelerate again, i feel a slight bump. What I've determined is that unless you come to a complete stop, the trans does not go into 1st gear but stays in 2nd or 3rd. As you accelerate away the trans then downshifts into 1st causing a bump. If I come to a complete stop, this sensation never occurs, only in rolling or on quick stop then go.

What I'd like is a trans flash/re-tune that makes the trans downshift into 1st a little more aggressively which would completely eliminate this sensation in my truck.
I also think it needs a little more fine tuning in the e-torque programming but that may be the A/C fast idle tune causing a slight jolt when auto stop start restarts, I think the A/C restart throttle crack table needs some work and that would eliminate this. Had this issue on my built Z06 when the car was started with the AC on, took a few weeks to find it but found the AC throttle crack table and adjusted the throttle crack on restart and smoothed it out.
I have recently noticed the same thing you mentioned regarding the shift down to 2nd and 3rd. Unless you stop completely it never goes out of 3rd and then if you accelerate with any more than feather light pedal it jerks down into lower gear.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
is it the clunk at 2 seconds and 4 seconds? i believe it goes more but it is hard to hear after the first two.
is the tranny shifting? or can you tell.
trouble shooting the hardest thing to do.

Hicksz1

Reaction score
is it the clunk at 2 seconds and 4 seconds? i believe it goes more but it is hard to hear after the first two.
is the tranny shifting? or can you tell.
trouble shooting the hardest thing to do.
I think its the transmission. But I don't understand why they're so many of us with the same complaints

Hicksz1

Reaction score
What, 10 people out of 10MM trucks?
Well they can give me one that don't clunk then . Lol. Got nowhere again today. They reset the learning transmission. What is a learning transmission? Omg AlsoTold me I need to run 89 octane or better because of the engine fluttering when you step on it. Like valves floating. So I was told to drive it like I stole it for 2k miles. See what happens

BowDown

Reaction score
10 people in this small forum alone that understand it's not a normal noise. The manufacturers are relying on the ignorance of its customer base.

On this truck, how many others do it?
This doesn't appear to be a wide spread issue and most here don't even understand what they are seeing or hearing

BowDown

Reaction score
Well they can give me one that don't clunk then . Lol. Got nowhere again today. They reset the learning transmission. What is a learning transmission? Omg AlsoTold me I need to run 89 octane or better because of the engine fluttering when you step on it. Like valves floating. So I was told to drive it like I stole it for 2k miles. See what happens

I'd try a different service dept then. I can hear tge noise but it doesn't sound like the drivetrain unless it's a mount moving during shifts. There's just nothing in tge drivetrain that can make that noise randomly, drivetrain failures will make noise with every revolution of the driveshaft and eventually make themselves very known, ie break.

relaytech

Reaction score
Mine does it to. Stop, yield slow traffic. It is the rear end no doubt, I have a 2013 ram and it doesn’t do it. 102000 miles in it. I’m not impressed with this truck compared to the 2013 ram. They have a lot of small issues. However it is the best riding truck I have ever owned. Lot is good qualities and a some irritating things.

Shark875

Reaction score
I just noticed this same problem on my 2021 ram. just hit 2,500 miles. Did you find out any more info on it? Has me alittle concerned

Shark875

Reaction score
Rotating the drive shaft by hand with the trans in park.
Truck had less than 1000 miles on it in that video. If it truly bothered me enough, I'd go to a rear end shop and have the diff rebuilt with less backlash.
would this be coved in the power train warenity?

MickeyG

Reaction score
It is probably normal. The transmission in your vehicle must go through a learning process based on your driving style to select the right shift map algorithm. This may take awhile, depending on how many transmissions shifts occurrences during the learn process.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels.
Same here as well
I have the same issue. Bumps after complete stop and than also after stop bumps again before hitting accelerator. It did this at 30K and dealer said it was a drive shaft coupling and uni- joint. Much better after service. Still barely feeling a catchup but much smoother. Figured it was normal. Its back at 46k and a little harder. Going to dealer on monday to plead my case again before i hit the 50k deadline. Mine is a 2019 5.7 3:21 2wd.

Ozwaldthedog

Reaction score
2021 Laramie 2WD with etrorque.... same issue, although it doesnt happen all the time. I mostly feel it after I come to a complete stop then take off again. It has now become something I cannot unhear....

Users who are viewing this thread