5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differential or Transmission Clunk

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Brake moan is the cause of the clunk? Or the issue with the squealing brakes? They act like it's a joke where I live.
Yep, brake moan is the cause of the clunk. A metal plate was inserted from my understanding. That jarring or clunking feel when stopping or starting is gone.

Sparrowcory

Reaction score
Mine has done this for the last 20k miles. I have had the driveshaft replaced which worked for about 2k miles. I have always felt like it was the brakes sticking or something to that affect. Was there a specific bulletin the dealer referenced for the brake moan fix?

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Mine has done this for the last 20k miles. I have had the driveshaft replaced which worked for about 2k miles. I have always felt like it was the brakes sticking or something to that affect. Was there a specific bulletin the dealer referenced for the brake moan fix?
Yes. I’ll see if it’s in the paperwork. FYI I never had a moan, just a clunk lol 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
My '19 is in right now for a few issues. A clunk when coming from a complete stop and accelerating was one of the problems. I'll update with what they discovered. Meanwhile I get a complimentary '21 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland.

tom318

Reaction score
Looked up that bulletin and it supposedly doesn’t apply to 21s but I have the “clunk”...one of these days I’ll drop the driveshaft and grease it unless someone finds another reason.

Hicksz1

Reaction score
It's in the transmission, they did a tsb update and made mine worse. I put a go pro under there too help hear where it was coming from. Seem like the tail end of the transmission, running down the drive shaft. Definitely the transmission IMO. I jacked the rear of the vehicle and there's a loud clicking noise when I move the rear wheels back n forth. I realize they need to work the bugs out of things. But spend as much as I did for this is very frustrating. I also used the gear limiter in fifth and forth gear. That turns off eco. Clunk still there. 3rd to 4th up and down shift. In stop n go traffic, it's a horrible sound. Yeilding and going. Also I notice I can be in 6th gear doing 30mph. Like the transmission is confused of what gear it should be in. You can't even count on the engine and trans to help slow vehicle down. Wth is a learning transmission?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's in the transmission, they did a tsb update and made mine worse. I put a go pro under there too help hear where it was coming from. Seem like the tail end of the transmission, running down the drive shaft. Definitely the transmission IMO. I jacked the rear of the vehicle and there's a loud clicking noise when I move the rear wheels back n forth. I realize they need to work the bugs out of things. But spend as much as I did for this is very frustrating. I also used the gear limiter in fifth and forth gear. That turns off eco. Clunk still there. 3rd to 4th up and down shift. In stop n go traffic, it's a horrible sound. Yeilding and going. Also I notice I can be in 6th gear doing 30mph. Like the transmission is confused of what gear it should be in. You can't even count on the engine and trans to help slow vehicle down. Wth is a learning transmission?
A click/clunk when you rotate the wheels back and forth and you think that's in the transmission? That's backlash the differential.

Hicksz1

Reaction score
A click/clunk when you rotate the wheels back and forth and you think that's in the transmission? That's backlash the differential.
I can hear where it's coming from. Yes I may be wrong it could be backlash, that's what I thought it was at first. Errrr this truck. So there's slop in the rear end that makes that noise.?

BowDown

Reaction score
I can hear where it's coming from. Yes I may be wrong it could be backlash, that's what I thought it was at first. Errrr this truck. So there's slop in the rear end that makes that noise.?
All rears have backlash which when you rotate the tires will make it sound like its the trans. When in park the trans gear will rock back and forth on the parking prawl in the trans, this is normal and in all trans and not an indicator of a bad trans

Last edited:

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Yep, brake moan is the cause of the clunk. A metal plate was inserted from my understanding. That jarring or clunking feel when stopping or starting is gone.
Ok well it’s back. It was a nice one week run we had.

Hicksz1

Reaction score
All rears have backlash which when you rotate the tires will make it sound like its the trans. When in park the trans gear will rock back and forth on the parking prawl in the trans, this is normal and in all trans and not an indicator of a bad trans
I don't think the trans is bad. Its shift points are off, since the reprogram, which has made the clunk more noticeable. How much back lash we talking about in the rear end? It makes no clunking when put in reverse and drive. Vise versa. Only stop n go , yeilding, slowing down for a turn you hear it cluck a little but when you hit the gas you get the big clunk. 2021 1500 etorque.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think the trans is bad. Its shift points are off, since the reprogram, which has made the clunk more noticeable. How much back lash we talking about in the rear end? It makes no clunking when put in reverse and drive. Vise versa. Only stop n go , yeilding, slowing down for a turn you hear it cluck a little but when you hit the gas you get the big clunk. 2021 1500 etorque.
This much in my rebel.

BowDown

Reaction score

Not supposed to be more than .005-.007" for the AAM 10.5 axle but I know its more than that.
I have a built Chrysler 8.75 pumpkin for my old car and it has a true .008 and doesn't clunk. My guess is that there's backlash in excess of .010-.012

BowDown

Reaction score
That’s interesting! What were you doing in the video to get it to do that?

Rotating the drive shaft by hand with the trans in park.
Truck had less than 1000 miles on it in that video. If it truly bothered me enough, I'd go to a rear end shop and have the diff rebuilt with less backlash.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread