5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did I buy the wrong truck?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I bought a Laramie on Wednesday last week. After having it a few days, I'm not sure I love it. But I got a really good deal that I worked for three weeks. So I'm kind of conflicted.

If I had my choice, I wouldn't have gotten the etorque. But it was what was in stock at the best priced dealer which was two and a half hours away. Now I am regretting getting it. I do not like the regenerative braking feel. That little bit of surging when braking. We had a 2010 Chevy Equinox for 7 years and almost 100k miles that did the same thing (but worse) and almost every day I hated driving it. It does seem to have gotten better the more I drive it (maybe it is the "learning transmission" or maybe I'm just getting used to it) but is still there. I think the pedal also feels kind of numb with the etorque, and the 20s are a bit of a rough ride on the city streets (I thought they would be OK with the coil link rear suspension, but still rough).

I paid $43,350ish for my truck after rebates (MSRP $55,005). I went with the dealer I did because they were at $35,500 on my trade, while the local dealers were $32,500 and $33,500. Some others were between $34,500 and $35,000 but weren't there on the truck price.

Long story short, I went to two local dealers on Saturday. One was at $41,500 on trade but would only be at invoice on the new (replacement) truck, one at $41,157 but from talking to them before would be at a decent new truck price (almost 12% dealer discount). The lesser priced one is a big dealership franchise. This dealer was $33,500 on my old trade.

So, I did the math. Accounting for everything ($500 less rebates right now, and losing about $500 on paying doc fees and title twice, I would have my dad temporarily go in the title with me to get an extra $2000 conquest since he has a GM truck and I don't have a competitive make any longer), I'd be losing about $2,000 by trading in my truck and getting something different if I went with the large dealership. So basically the same deal as going there to begin with. They have a 7 day return policy, which if I'd have gone with them I wouldn't be in this spot to begin with. The problem is with inventory so low they would need to do a dealer locate, and there are only a few vehicles within a couple hundred miles (seems Ram is really pushing the etorque, too, as about 70% or more seem to be etorque). But they are so big I think they should be able to work a trade.

What I'm struggling with is how much is it worth to have exactly what I want (or close to it)? Also, if I keep the new truck 5 to 7 years, and I need to have one or both of the etorque system components replaced out of warranty, that makes up (and then some) for the price difference with going with a different truck now. I'm also open to leasing.

Not sure what I'm going to do, but just looking for thoughts.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So I bought a Laramie on Wednesday last week. After having it a few days, I'm not sure I love it. But I got a really good deal that I worked for three weeks. So I'm kind of conflicted.

If I had my choice, I wouldn't have gotten the etorque. But it was what was in stock at the best priced dealer which was two and a half hours away. Now I am regretting getting it. I do not like the regenerative braking feel. That little bit of surging when braking. We had a 2010 Chevy Equinox for 7 years and almost 100k miles that did the same thing (but worse) and almost every day I hated driving it. It does seem to have gotten better the more I drive it (maybe it is the "learning transmission" or maybe I'm just getting used to it) but is still there. I think the pedal also feels kind of numb with the etorque, and the 20s are a bit of a rough ride on the city streets (I thought they would be OK with the coil link rear suspension, but still rough).

I paid $43,350ish for my truck after rebates (MSRP $55,005). I went with the dealer I did because they were at $35,500 on my trade, while the local dealers were $32,500 and $33,500. Some others were between $34,500 and $35,000 but weren't there on the truck price.

Long story short, I went to two local dealers on Saturday. One was at $41,500 on trade but would only be at invoice on the new (replacement) truck, one at $41,157 but from talking to them before would be at a decent new truck price (almost 12% dealer discount). The lesser priced one is a big dealership franchise. This dealer was $33,500 on my old trade.

So, I did the math. Accounting for everything ($500 less rebates right now, and losing about $500 on paying doc fees and title twice, I would have my dad temporarily go in the title with me to get an extra $2000 conquest since he has a GM truck and I don't have a competitive make any longer), I'd be losing about $2,000 by trading in my truck and getting something different if I went with the large dealership. So basically the same deal as going there to begin with. They have a 7 day return policy, which if I'd have gone with them I wouldn't be in this spot to begin with. The problem is with inventory so low they would need to do a dealer locate, and there are only a few vehicles within a couple hundred miles (seems Ram is really pushing the etorque, too, as about 70% or more seem to be etorque). But they are so big I think they should be able to work a trade.

What I'm struggling with is how much is it worth to have exactly what I want (or close to it)? Also, if I keep the new truck 5 to 7 years, and I need to have one or both of the etorque system components replaced out of warranty, that makes up (and then some) for the price difference with going with a different truck now. I'm also open to leasing.

Sorry to hear. If you are already having doubts during what should be the "honeymoon phase", then I'd get rid of it while you don't lose your shirt and get something you'll be happy with.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are many who will tell you that you will get used to the regenerative braking feel on here. However, you already drove a vehicle for 7 years and hated it, so I doubt you will get used to it. I personally hated it when test drove the etorque and made sure I didn't have it. Only you can decide how much to lose on trading it back to get what you want, but I cannot imagine driving a truck I hate for another 7 years.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Honestly, If you are already regretting it, then make the move. If you can do it for only $2k to get the truck you want, that seems like a no brainer to me. Not a ton of money to get you what you really want. No need for an e torque vs no e torque debate here, if you don't want it you will never be happy with it most likely. Good luck whichever way you decide to go

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
How much is your happiness worth? Is it worth losing $2000 to get a truck without etorque? Will there be something else wrong with the new truck that will make you regret buying that one? In the end, it's your money and your happiness. I have limits when it comes to how much I'm willing to lose to get something else I "think" I'll be happy with. For me it's a no-brainer. I'd keep the truck you have now for a couple years. You can always change your mind later. But that's what I'd do for me.

Just to let you know, the etorque system is covered for 8 years or 80k miles under the Federal Emission Warranty. See below. It's not clear whether the labor to replace these parts is covered though. The wording says that the warranty covers those parts. I suspect labor would be extra.

From the Ram Warranty book:
5.1 Federal Emission Warranty
A. Parts Covered For 2 Years Or 24,000 Miles. Federal law requires FCA US to warrant the following emissions parts for 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever occurs first. FCA US covers all of these parts under the Basic Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
The All New Ram 1500 — Gas
• Air system controls
• Electronic fuel injection system, including injector
• Evaporative-emission canister and controls
• Exhaust manifold
• Exhaust gas recirculation valve and control system
• Exhaust pipes (between exhaust manifold and catalyst)
• Fuel cap and tank assembly, pump, and fuel lines
• Ignition system
• Intake manifold
• On-board diagnostic-system components
• Oxygen sensors
• Positive Crankcase-Ventilation (PCV) valve or orifice
• Secondary ignition wires
• Spark plugs
• Throttle body
• Transmission-Control Module
• Vacuum hoses, clamps, and fittings, as well as tubing used for these components
• Vacuum, temperature, altitude, speed, time-sensitive valves, sensors, and switches used in these components and systems

B. Parts Covered For 8 Years Or 80,000 Miles
If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start of the Basic Limited Warranty as set forth in Section 2.1 E.
The covered parts are:
Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly
• Catalytic Converter
• Powertrain Control Module
• Power Pack Unit - 48 Volts

rlc2020

Reaction score
How much is your happiness worth? Is it worth losing $2000 to get a truck without etorque? Will there be something else wrong with the new truck that will make you regret buying that one? In the end, it's your money and your happiness. I have limits when it comes to how much I'm willing to lose to get something else I "think" I'll be happy with. For me it's a no-brainer. I'd keep the truck you have now for a couple years. You can always change your mind later. But that's what I'd do for me.

Just to let you know, the etorque system is covered for 8 years or 80k miles under the Federal Emission Warranty. See below. It's not clear whether the labor to replace these parts is covered though. The wording says that the warranty covers those parts. I suspect labor would be extra.

From the Ram Warranty book:
5.1 Federal Emission Warranty
A. Parts Covered For 2 Years Or 24,000 Miles. Federal law requires FCA US to warrant the following emissions parts for 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever occurs first. FCA US covers all of these parts under the Basic Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
The All New Ram 1500 — Gas
• Air system controls
• Electronic fuel injection system, including injector
• Evaporative-emission canister and controls
• Exhaust manifold
• Exhaust gas recirculation valve and control system
• Exhaust pipes (between exhaust manifold and catalyst)
• Fuel cap and tank assembly, pump, and fuel lines
• Ignition system
• Intake manifold
• On-board diagnostic-system components
• Oxygen sensors
• Positive Crankcase-Ventilation (PCV) valve or orifice
• Secondary ignition wires
• Spark plugs
• Throttle body
• Transmission-Control Module
• Vacuum hoses, clamps, and fittings, as well as tubing used for these components
• Vacuum, temperature, altitude, speed, time-sensitive valves, sensors, and switches used in these components and systems

B. Parts Covered For 8 Years Or 80,000 Miles
If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start of the Basic Limited Warranty as set forth in Section 2.1 E.
The covered parts are:
Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly
• Catalytic Converter
• Powertrain Control Module
• Power Pack Unit - 48 Volts
he didn't seem concerned about the warranty, he just doesn't like the way the truck drives with the e torque. having an 8 year warranty does nothing to change the fact that he doesn't want the e torque. Losing $2k now and then keeping the new truck for 10yrs is a lot cheaper than trading in this truck in 3-5yrs and having to spend $10-$15k at that point to get a new one that he actually wants.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I agree, get what you want, don't settle for anything less. If it was the rims or some other item that can be replaced or changed out then it wouldn't be a problem. But if you hate the etorque then you will always reget getting it. I have etorque on mine and it is not a problems for me, but then one of my other vehicles is a SUV hybrid that I have had for 6 years so I am use to the regenerative brake feel.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
he didn't seem concerned about the warranty, he just doesn't like the way the truck drives with the e torque. having an 8 year warranty does nothing to change the fact that he doesn't want the e torque. Losing $2k now and then keeping the new truck for 10yrs is a lot cheaper than trading in this truck in 3-5yrs and having to spend $10-$15k at that point to get a new one that he actually wants.
Perhaps you didn't read everything from his first post. I was addressing what he said in the last paragraph...

"What I'm struggling with is how much is it worth to have exactly what I want (or close to it)? Also, if I keep the new truck 5 to 7 years, and I need to have one or both of the etorque system components replaced out of warranty, that makes up (and then some) for the price difference with going with a different truck now. I'm also open to leasing."

He said he keeps his truck 5 to 7 years. So he'll be covered for most if not all of that time, depending on mileage. I'm wondering where you got the 10 years from. He already said he keeps them for 5 to 7 years. Your logic doesn't really make sense, and you're trying to appeal to his emotional side with your advice. Not saying it's bad advice, but you seem to be trying to justify it by throwing some speculative numbers out there which don't make financial sense.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with the regenerative brake feel. I don't feel anything other than a "normal" brake. Could be that there's something wrong with the OP's truck if it's enough for him to notice. Braking on our Laramie with etorque feels pretty much identical to braking on our Limited without etorque.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Perhaps you didn't read everything from his first post. I was addressing what he said in the last paragraph...

"What I'm struggling with is how much is it worth to have exactly what I want (or close to it)? Also, if I keep the new truck 5 to 7 years, and I need to have one or both of the etorque system components replaced out of warranty, that makes up (and then some) for the price difference with going with a different truck now. I'm also open to leasing."

He said he keeps his truck 5 to 7 years. So he'll be covered for most if not all of that time, depending on mileage. I'm wondering where you got the 10 years from. He already said he keeps them for 5 to 7 years. Your logic doesn't really make sense, and you're trying to appeal to his emotional side with your advice. Not saying it's bad advice, but you seem to be trying to justify it by throwing some speculative numbers out there which don't make financial sense.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with the regenerative brake feel. I don't feel anything other than a "normal" brake. Could be that there's something wrong with the OP's truck if it's enough for him to notice. Braking on our Laramie with etorque feels pretty much identical to braking on our Limited without etorque.
Well, you got me there, but by your logic then we are both only focusing on 1 aspect of the original post. You are concerned with his truck being under warranty and I say that that doesn't matter if he hates the truck in the first place. And yes, that is an emotional argument, the whole discussion here is based on emotion, he doesn't like the feel driving the truck, that's not anything but emotional. If you drive something that you hate you will never be happy regardless of whether it's under warranty or not.

I would much rather have a truck that I love as opposed to a truck that I hate but is under warranty. Seems to make sense to me...

Last edited:

Rexx

Reaction score
When you’re paying that much for a truck, I for one would want to be happy driving it everyday.

If you can get out of the truck and into one you really want and only loose 2k, I’d do it and consider it an expensive lesson learned.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
An inexpensive alternative - go rent and drive a Ford Focus for a full two weeks. Give Dad the keys to the Ram and have him lock them up. I promise the eTorque will impress the hell out of you at the end of the first week! ;-)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Only $2k to trade in and get the truck you REALLY want?!?!? Do It!!!!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, you got me there, but by your logic then we are both only focusing on 1 aspect of the original post. You are concerned with his truck being under warranty and I say that that doesn't matter if he hates the truck in the first place. And yes, that is an emotional argument, the whole discussion here is based on emotion, he doesn't like the feel driving the truck, that's not anything but emotional. If you drive something that you hate you will never be happy regardless of whether it's under warranty or not.

I would much rather have a truck that I love as opposed to a truck that I hate but is under warranty. Seems to make sense to me...
Haha...I'm starting to wonder about your reading comprehension (JK). I posted the information about the warranty because of the last paragraph in his original post. But if you re-read my first post in this thread you'll see that I wasn't only focusing on 1 aspect of his original post...

"How much is your happiness worth? Is it worth losing $2000 to get a truck without etorque? Will there be something else wrong with the new truck that will make you regret buying that one? In the end, it's your money and your happiness. I have limits when it comes to how much I'm willing to lose to get something else I "think" I'll be happy with. For me it's a no-brainer. I'd keep the truck you have now for a couple years. You can always change your mind later. But that's what I'd do for me. "

As I said, it's his money and his happiness. He needs to do what he feels most comfortable with. It's easy for us to sit back and tell him to do this or do that. There's no consequence for us. Hopefully he will weigh his options and make the choice that's best for him, not what we think is best for him.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the E-torque feel either. I don't have E-torque; but had a loaner with it. I will say, however, that these trucks do seem to smooth out over time as they break in. I didn't quite understand what it will cost you out of pocket to make the swap or how your Dad's tuck will get you a $2000 conquest rebate. But, someone said it will cost you $2,000.....I don't think going non-E-torque is worth burning two grand. Now if you decided there were expensive options such as 12", air ride, etc. that you wanted; then maybe its worth it to upgrade. But if you are talking both Level 1 Laramie's, it seems like you are throwing $2000 away. Oh, and as far as the numb pedal is concerned; try the accelerator pedal calibration. Or buy a throttle controller (Pedal Commander, Vitesse, Sprintbooster, etc.) so you can adjust the feel to your liking.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
How much would it cost to disconnect and/or remove eTorque from the truck?

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
Big purchases carry with them strong emotions, and if you already have remorse it's going to be hard to get past that. If you have the finances you should trade.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I can feel it in my truck, its normal braking until under 20mph then you can feel the extra braking force. Does it bother me? NOT ONE DAMN BIT, not even .000001%.

OP should have gone on a test drive or paid more attention on the test drive, anyway out of this is going to cost money now but if its enough of an issue to make a thread about it asking strangers for help, its only going to get worse.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much would it cost to disconnect and/or remove eTorque from the truck?

Is getting rid of the etorque a possibility? I would imagine it is just replacing the electric motor with an alternator and getting rid of the battery pack, but obviously there are computer programming things that would need to be changed, too.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is getting rid of the etorque a possibility? I would imagine it is just replacing the electric motor with an alternator and getting rid of the battery pack, but obviously there are computer programming things that would need to be changed, too.
I suppose it may be possible; but I don't see that as a feasible option. It would require a lot of changes to your truck; including software changes which you could not do yourself. It would cost a lot more than taking a hit on a different truck. If you hate it that much; then maybe a different truck is your better option.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I thought I saw someone here had done it; could be wrong. Even if it was possible but increased chances of further programming/wiring issues I wouldn’t even consider it. Just thought I would mention it in case someone has actually done it.

Users who are viewing this thread