5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did everyone know the Tow side mirrors rotated?

cw_mi

Reaction score
Just to be clear you should have a flat mirror (main) and Convex (Tow). Are you saying both of them are heated? On my Limited only the flat (Main) mirror is heated. The Convex (Tow) mirror is not heated.
The convex is not intended strictly for tow, it is to help with the blind spots. These new "tow" mirrors do have the convex area different vs what I had on my older trucks, the convex area was just a corner of the mirror.
Think about it, when you adjust your mirrors, what part moves ? Regardless of whether they are flipped up , not the convex part.

cw_mi

Reaction score
I apologize and stand corrected. I did not know these style tow mirrors were available on a 2nd Gen. Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

These were the only tow mirrors I knew of on a 2nd Gen.
View attachment 21821

As it turns out...they were an option on 98 to 2002 3500 and 2001 and 2002 2500s

So I guess it has been since 1998 that Ram trucks have had the flip out mirrors.

Learn something new everday...I can honestly say I had no idea. What I get for assuming.

Thanks @cw_mi.

Now I didn't know they were available that far back, I thought 2000 was the first year. All this time and they can't figure out a power option for folding and flip out.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was searching the web hoping to find info on if/when Ram will redesign the tow mirrors. I have wanted tow mirrors for a long time but I absolutely refuse to put the current style ones on my truck. I really like the tow mirrors that Chevy has on their half tons now. I wish Ram would do something like that.

No power fold, blind spot glass not powered or heated, the flip up not powered. And sorry to anyone who likes them, but they are by far and away the ugliest mirror up or down of the current trucks. I don’t want a mirror that I have to manually flip up or down and readjust every time I want to use them.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was searching the web hoping to find info on if/when Ram will redesign the tow mirrors. I have wanted tow mirrors for a long time but I absolutely refuse to put the current style ones on my truck. I really like the tow mirrors that Chevy has on their half tons now. I wish Ram would do something like that.

No power fold, blind spot glass not powered or heated, the flip up not powered. And sorry to anyone who likes them, but they are by far and away the ugliest mirror up or down of the current trucks. I don’t want a mirror that I have to manually flip up or down and readjust every time I want to use them.
The fact that they weren't like the Chevy or Titan tow mirrors drove me to get the non-tow. I rarely ever used my rear view mirror in the Titan because I could see behind me and 2 lanes over with my side tow mirrors. If I tow something big enough to need them I can buy the clip on extenders from Amazon.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm coming from 11 years in a Ford F-250 that the only power was the main mirror (non-power-fold and non-heated).

As much as I don't like the flip-up design for use I like them for strength. My dual arm slide out/in mirrors would start to droop and vibrate after a few years. At least these have a stout base arm that I won't have to replace the mirrors every few years.

Last edited:

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
I am still mad about the 360 and loss of power folding. But i guess finding this feature some what helps with my anger issues.

As for now, all mods are completed.
The new ones have 360 and power fold :cool: . The shocker for me was the lack of 12V power outlets, have to update some electronics now.

Nick57

Reaction score
I got the tow mirrors with my 21. they power fold are heated and have a back up light on each one for when you're backing up a trailer! I had the tow mirrors on 18 and these new ones are better!

Redfour5

Reaction score
I got the tow mirrors and they say power and heated...but the power is in the mirror adjustment, NOT power fold... I miss that.

Users who are viewing this thread