5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did everyone know the Tow side mirrors rotated?

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went on a fishing trip and my buddy kept asking me. Do your side mirrors rotate? I kept tell him no I don't think so. So we went over to the side mirrors and realized that they rotate. You can have them vertical (which is how mine are currently) or horizontal. I am a new truck owner and wasn't aware that was a feature. Did anyone else realize this?

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. Doesn’t make up for the lack of power folding, but it’s something.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All kidding aside. They work very well for the job they were intended. The extra reach make it very easy to navigate with a large trailer.

The HD tow mirrors now have a rear facing spotlight and the surround view camera.(and powerfold)

I am very surprised the tow mirror flipout hasn't been powered yet...but that is a sore subject here.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
20140710_153400.jpg stock mirrors
20180407_144417.jpg aftermarket tow mirrors.(the boys truck has them also 20170524_192636.jpg tow mirrors down...FOR DRIVING(this is a 2003...first year and truck they were available on) 20160808_080231.jpg tow mirrors up...FOR TOWING.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It just keeps getting worse after each post. o_O . Maybe there will be one other person that didn't realize it. Thanks for the feed back guys.
Your not the first to think they found a new mirror. In the early part of the mirror debacle, we had someone think they found the unicorn mirror with surround view.

Not everyone has been around trucks or RAM trucks forever and a day like myself.

It is always interesting to find someone who was pleasantly surprised by their mirrors...most here are just aggravated by them.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your not the first to think they found a new mirror. In the early part of the mirror debacle, we had someone think they found the unicorn mirror with surround view.

Not everyone has been around trucks or RAM trucks forever and a day like myself.

It is always interesting to find someone who was pleasantly surprised by their mirrors...most here are just aggravated by them.

I am still mad about the 360 and loss of power folding. But i guess finding this feature some what helps with my anger issues.

cw_mi

Reaction score
I have them on my 99, but they are not factory, and were not available factory until the 2003 3rd Gen HD was debuted.
I should have clarified, 2500. I purchased my '01 new and it had the flip put mirrors. They were not heated though.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I apologize and stand corrected. I did not know these style tow mirrors were available on a 2nd Gen. Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

These were the only tow mirrors I knew of on a 2nd Gen.
001.jpg

As it turns out...they were an option on 98 to 2002 3500 and 2001 and 2002 2500s

So I guess it has been since 1998 that Ram trucks have had the flip out mirrors.

Learn something new everday...I can honestly say I had no idea. What I get for assuming.

Thanks @cw_mi.

UKreject

Reaction score
I have the tow mirrors and just discovered in the midst of a snow storm they are not heated. I am seriously pissed off right now. Level 2 equipment group says I should have them. Ram got me with the power folding and I guess they got me with heated mirrors. This is just not acceptable on this well equipped truck.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the tow mirrors and just discovered in the midst of a snow storm they are not heated. I am seriously pissed off right now. Level 2 equipment group says I should have them. Ram got me with the power folding and I guess they got me with heated mirrors. This is just not acceptable on this well equipped truck.
Welcome to the club. We're unhappy to have you because unfortunately you got the same deal. I tried contacting Ram about it with no response.

RBRK

Reaction score
My tow mirrors are heated depends on your trim possibly. Mine is a Laramie with pretty much everything.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My tow mirrors are heated depends on your trim possibly. Mine is a Laramie with pretty much everything.

Just to be clear you should have a flat mirror (main) and Convex (Tow). Are you saying both of them are heated? On my Limited only the flat (Main) mirror is heated. The Convex (Tow) mirror is not heated.

Users who are viewing this thread