5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desert Dawg Ram Rebel Build

"Linex" the skid plate a matte black or leave the factory silver color?

• Paint or Linex skid plate matte black

Votes: 62 71.3%
  • Leave skid plate silver

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Other (reply in thread)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
It only took about 3 years to finally hook up the backlighting on my Rigid 360 Series Driving and Spot lights. I used a Cali Raised Switch Controller and In-cab Panel as I also want to add some ditch lights and rear backup lights. The switch controller system is great as you only have to go through the firewall once (sort of, see below) with the control wire to the panel as all of the power connections are made in the engine bay.

Switch controller installed (tight fit as I also have my winch remoter control box installed near the battery as well but was able to mount the switch controller directly to the winch control box mounting bracket):

Edit: I do have some wire insulators installed on all of the outgoing power leads after taking this shot.

In-cab panel installed with tilting metal bracket mounted directly to center console (note; to light up the switch panel, you need to tap an accessory fuse but there is no safe ignition-on/spare fused tapping points inside the engine bay fuse box but there is one accessory fuse supplied within the in-cab fuse box so I tapped that with a 10 amp micro fuse tap extended from the switch controller in the engine bay).

For those that are curious, I wired the Rigid LED driving lights (outboard pair on my bumper) directly to the controller without using the Rigid relay (so only power and ground). For the Rigid LED Spot lights, I used the Rigid Wiring/Relay harness by connecting both the accessory (white) wires from both pairs with the harness red power wire while wiring the LED power (blue) separately to the switch controller. That allows me to run the low-load backlighting for all (4) lights at once with just one push switch on the panel, and then each pair of LED Spots or Driving lights separately or all together.

Backlighting only:

All on:

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
So, I have this sweet system coming in:

BDS 3-inch with Fox 2.5 Performance Elite Coilovers with Dual Speed Compression (DSC):

Instead of the Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, I upgraded to the Fox 2.5 with Remote Reservoirs and DSC as well:

Since the system is basically the 4-inch Fox PE system for the 1500, I determined that my current Fabtech UCAs that I used for my Dirt Logic 3-inch system would not suffice, so also ordered the BDS 4"-6" UCAs to complete the system:

This system should not be confused with BDS' other 3-inch Performance Elite system that comes with shorter Fox 2.5 coilovers and UCAs but with no drop brackets to correct the geometry. That system will only net the Rebel 2-inches over its factory ride height while the system I ordered will net 3-inches over the Rebel's factory ride height as it shares almost all of the same kit components as the BDS 1500 4-inch Fox PE system. In fact, since many with the BDS 4-inch kit have reported getting closer to 4.5 inches of front lift on the 1500, it may net closer to 3.5 inches of front lift on the Rebel and may certainly be attainable if you use the front coilover spacer while also dialing up the Fox coilovers a tad more. However, I won't use the preload spacer as that makes the front end sit about 1/2" too high compared to the rear. Instead, I would forgo the spacer and just dial in the Fox coilovers back to almost level (so keeping to a 3-inch net lift).

I am really stoked as this is the system I have been waiting for! If you have been following my build, you know that my priorities were to build the Rebel for slightly more off-road capability (both for desert running and mountain trailing) while at same keeping it as a functional daily driver and weekend hauler. Plus, I wanted enough lift to give me a slightly more aggressive stance, provide enough articulation with 34-35 inch tall tires, improving my approach and departure angles a tad, and trying to keep my center of gravity within the reason for off-canter wheeling situations and maintaining high speed stability.

I had determined that for the Rebel, a 3-inch lift height that maintained the factory geometry while meeting all of the above would be perfect for me. Unfortunately, I did not think it would take so long for aftermarket to respond to the 5th Gen Rams and for the Rebel in particular. And because I am insanely impatient when it comes to my vehicle builds, I started jumping at whatever became available which included the following attempts:

1. Falcon 2.25-inch Sport Tow/Haul; this was one of the first quality, non-spacer lifts that came out for the Rebel/1500. Unfortunately, the Teraflex (maker of Falcon) did not mention that the advertised lift for 2.25-inches was really just for the 1500 and the Rebel would only net 1.25-inches of true lift. For over $1800 at the time, that was a major fail in my book but Terra Flex was very good about letting me send it back as they agreed that their site was not clear about the fitment.

2. Fabtech UCA 3-inch Lift with Dirt Logic 2.5 Adjustable Coilovers; I had high hopes for this particular suspension as I had hoped it would get me closer to the coveted 3-inches of non-spacer lift with performance coilovers. Dirt Logic has made a name for itself over the years in Baja Racing applications so I was thrilled to try them out. I was able to dial in about 2.25-inches of lift with the coilovers which made plenty of room for my 34.4-inch Yokohama MTs to net out close to 3-inches of total lift (suspension + tires), but I still did not achieve the overall stance and clearance I wanted especially once the front coilovers settled some. And then, catastrophe struck when I managed to completely shear off one of the Dirt Logic piston rods and collapsed my spring onto the lower control arm.

3. Bilstein 6112 Strut Assembly; reusing the Rebel factory springs, I replaced both of the Dirt Logic coilovers (due to the fact that Fabtech would not sell me just one coilover) as I needed to get my truck back to being drivable in a hurry and the Bilsteins were the only products I could get immediately without waiting a week to several months. I knew this was going to be stopgap measure as I lost about an inch of ride height although the ride quality significantly improved. But I would be significantly limiting my off-road abilities and choices. Nonetheless, I am still impressed with them especially if someone just needs a level without resorting to a spacer system.

So hopefully will have the new system installed soon after start of the New Year. In the meantime, I am thinking about changing out my wheels for something slightly more aggressive (-12MM) to increase the track width for maintaining stability under the higher lift and, to be totally honest, for looks as well.

Edit: Spelling and grammatical corrections

Last edited:

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score

BDS 3-inch with Fox 2.5 Performance Elite Coilovers with Dual Speed Compression (DSC):

Instead of the Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, I upgraded to the Fox 2.5 with Remote Reservoirs and DSC as well:

Since the system is basically the 4-inch Fox PE system for the 1500, I determined that my current Fabtech UCAs that I used for my Dirt Logic 3-inch system would not suffice, so also ordered the BDS 4"-6" UCAs to complete the system:

I am really stoked as this is the system I have been waiting for! If you have been following my build, you know that my priorities were to build the Rebel for slightly more off-road capability (both for desert running and mountain trailing) while at same keeping it as a functional daily driver and weekend hauler. Plus, I wanted enough lift to give me the stance and clearance I wanted for running 34-35 inch tall tires and improving my approach and departure angles a tad while also trying to keep my center of gravity within the reason for off-canter wheeling situations and maintaining high speed stability.

I had determined that for the Rebel, a 3-inch lift height that maintained the factory geometry while meeting all of the above would be perfect for me. Unfortunately, I did not think it would take so long for aftermarket to respond to the 5th Gen Rams and for the Rebel in particular. And because I am insanely impatient when it comes to my vehicle builds, I started jumping at whatever became available which included the following attempts:

1. Falcon 2.25-inch Sport Tow/Haul; this was one of the first non-spacer lift that came out advertising it was for the Rebel/1500. Unfortunately, the advertisement did not mention that the advertised lift for 2.25-inches was really just for the 1500 and the Rebel would only net 1.25-inches of lift. For over $1800 at time, that was a major fail in my book but Terra Flex was very good about letting me send it back as they agreed that their site was not clear about the fitment.

2. Fabtech UCA 3-inch Lift with Dirt Logic 2.5 Adjustable Coilovers; I had high hopes for this particular suspension as I had hoped it would get me closer to the coveted 3-inches of non-spacer lift with performance coilovers. Dirt Logic has made a name for itself over the years in Baja Racing applications so I was thrilled to try them out. I was able to dial in about 2.25-inches of lift with the coilovers which made plenty of room for my 34.4-inch Yokohama MTs to net out close to 3-inches of total lift (suspension + tires), but I still did not achieve the overall stance and clearance I wanted especially once the front coilovers settled some. And then, catastrophe struck when I managed to completely shear off one of the Dirt Logic piston rods and collapsing my spring onto the lower control arm.

3. Bilstein 6112 Strut Assembly; reusing the Rebel factory springs, I replaced both the Dirt Logic coilovers (due to the fact that Fabtech would not sell me just one coilover) as I needed to get my truck back to being drivable in a hurry and the Bilsteins were the only products I could get immediately without waiting a week to several months. I knew this was going to be stopgap measure as I lost about an inch of ride height although the ride quality significantly improved. But I would be significantly limiting my off-road abilities and choices. Nonetheless, I am still impressed with them especially if someone just needs a level without resorting to a spacer system.

So hopefully will have the new system installed soon after start of the New Year. In meantime, I am thinking about changing out my wheels for something slightly more aggressive wheels (-12MM) to slightly increase the track width for maintaining stability under the slightly higher lift and, to be totally honest, for looks as well.
dam me and you both got the same kits ordered,
can not wait to recieve and install

btw guys dessert dawg has been tons of help and been helping me behind the scenes and is awesome 🫡🤣

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
dam me and you both got the same kits ordered,
can not wait to recieve and install

btw guys dessert dawg has been tons of help and been helping me behind the scenes and is awesome 🫡🤣

Ah, you knew I was getting close...lol! Couldn't pass up on the year end sales!

We'll have to compare notes once installed!

Bignick75

Reaction score

This system should not be confused with BDS' other 3-inch Performance Elite system that comes with shorter Fox 2.5 coilovers and UCAs but with no drop brackets to correct the geometry. That system will only net the Rebel 2-inches over its factory ride height while the system I ordered will net 3-inches over the Rebel's factory ride height as it shares almost all of the same kit components as the BDS 1500 4-inch Fox PE system. In fact, since many with the BDS 4-inch kit have reported getting closer to 4.5 inches of front lift on the 1500, it may net closer to 3.5 inches of front lift on the Rebel and may certainly be attainable if you use the front coilover spacer while also dialing up the Fox coilovers a tad more. However, I won't use the preload spacer as that makes the front end sit about 1/2" too high compared to the rear. Instead, I would forgo the spacer and just dial in the Fox coilovers back to almost level (so keeping to a 3-inch net lift).

I am really stoked as this is the system I have been waiting for! If you have been following my build, you know that my priorities were to build the Rebel for slightly more off-road capability (both for desert running and mountain trailing) while at same keeping it as a functional daily driver and weekend hauler. Plus, I wanted enough lift to give me a slightly more aggressive stance, provide enough articulation with 34-35 inch tall tires, improving my approach and departure angles a tad, and trying to keep my center of gravity within the reason for off-canter wheeling situations and maintaining high speed stability.

1. Falcon 2.25-inch Sport Tow/Haul; this was one of the first quality, non-spacer lifts that came out for the Rebel/1500. Unfortunately, the Teraflex (maker of Falcon) did not mention that the advertised lift for 2.25-inches was really just for the 1500 and the Rebel would only net 1.25-inches of true lift. For over $1800 at the time, that was a major fail in my book but Terra Flex was very good about letting me send it back as they agreed that their site was not clear about the fitment.

2. Fabtech UCA 3-inch Lift with Dirt Logic 2.5 Adjustable Coilovers; I had high hopes for this particular suspension as I had hoped it would get me closer to the coveted 3-inches of non-spacer lift with performance coilovers. Dirt Logic has made a name for itself over the years in Baja Racing applications so I was thrilled to try them out. I was able to dial in about 2.25-inches of lift with the coilovers which made plenty of room for my 34.4-inch Yokohama MTs to net out close to 3-inches of total lift (suspension + tires), but I still did not achieve the overall stance and clearance I wanted especially once the front coilovers settled some. And then, catastrophe struck when I managed to completely shear off one of the Dirt Logic piston rods and collapsed my spring onto the lower control arm.

3. Bilstein 6112 Strut Assembly; reusing the Rebel factory springs, I replaced both of the Dirt Logic coilovers (due to the fact that Fabtech would not sell me just one coilover) as I needed to get my truck back to being drivable in a hurry and the Bilsteins were the only products I could get immediately without waiting a week to several months. I knew this was going to be stopgap measure as I lost about an inch of ride height although the ride quality significantly improved. But I would be significantly limiting my off-road abilities and choices. Nonetheless, I am still impressed with them especially if someone just needs a level without resorting to a spacer system.

So hopefully will have the new system installed soon after start of the New Year. In the meantime, I am thinking about changing out my wheels for something slightly more aggressive (-12MM) to increase the track width for maintaining stability under the higher lift and, to be totally honest, for looks as well.

Edit: Spelling and grammatical corrections
do you have a link for that kit?? i can only find the 2-3” PE dsc kit

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
do you have a link for that kit?? i can only find the 2-3” PE dsc kit

It’s basically the 4-inch PE kit for the 1500 but net 3-inch PE kit for the Rebel:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
well just found out the 4/ and 6 inch coilover are the same coilover you just adjust it to the height you want

That is interesting; not sure how you can dial similar ride quality if all you're doing is adding more tension to the spring by adjusting the coil over more. BDS lists Part #88406383 for the front coil over kit for the 4-inch Fox PE suspension and Part #88406335 for the front coil over for the 6-inch Fox PE suspension so they must have different lengths. 🤔 IDK.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
So, things are starting to come together. Finally have the winch all spooled up and operational. Yah!

I did purchase a second clutch handle, grinded down the foot a bit more to better clear the Warn fairlead, and sprayed painted a satin black to match the rest of the assembly instead of having the chrome handle sticking out like a sore thumb. But I need to apply a couple more coats before installing. But at least I get to show off the Factor 55 Ultrahook finally installed too.

• Love
Reactions: c3k

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Also, I finally got the truck into the shop for the installation of the Rebel specific-BDS 3-inch Fox Performance Elite suspension system. It took them a full couple of days to complete the installation and alignment, but the geometry is now all back where it needs to be and the alignment is perfect. The ride is great too but I haven't had time to play with the low and high speed adjusters. I just picked up the truck today but have to leave for a business trip for the rest of the week, so going take me some time to post up.

In meantime, a teaser pic:

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is interesting; not sure how you can dial similar ride quality if all you're doing is adding more tension to the spring by adjusting the coil over more. BDS lists Part #88406383 for the front coil over kit for the 4-inch Fox PE suspension and Part #88406335 for the front coil over for the 6-inch Fox PE suspension so they must have different lengths. 🤔 IDK.
this was what a installer tech of bds told me i havent installed because im waiting for the rear fox to come in they sent me the basic ones and not the adjustable ones for rear

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, I finally got the truck into the shop for the installation of the Rebel specific-BDS 3-inch Fox Performance Elite suspension system. It took them a full couple of days to complete the installation and alignment, but the geometry is now all back where it needs to be and the alignment is perfect. The ride is great too but I haven't had time to play with the low and high speed adjusters. I just picked up the truck today but have to leave for a business trip for the rest of the week, so going take me some time to post up.

dam nice looks good what is rhe measurements for front ? did you get full 3 inch ?

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have the Fox 2.5 front and rear but no BDS stuff. Here's what I do with the DSC and i find it perfect:
For road/ on pavement: Low speed max, High speed 1 click only
For offroad, especially higher speed washboards: low speed max, high speed max.

for some reason my high speed is really hard to turn and maxes out at 8 clicks. is it the same for you?

Users who are viewing this thread