5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deployable bed step

smashweights

Reaction score
L.O.V.E. love it! Paid about $300 and installed myself and worth every penny. I use it all the time. My 4 year old can deploy it, climb in and out of the bed, and retract it step on his own. Perfect intermediate height between the ground and the bumper/tailgate.

smashweights

Reaction score
Get them while you can! The replacement (ends with AG) has also been recalled. Apparently it did not solve the whole can "cause a fire in a rear end collusion" issue. The part is now a REMOVE/ DESTROY from dealer stock AND all vehicles on the dealers lot.

Wut? Only thing I can find was 2500/3500 recalled steps for breakage...

Sergeant Jim

Reaction score
Wut? Only thing I can find was 2500/3500 recalled steps for breakage...

That's how it started. Then it went to the 1500. the original part was a Super heavy cast part which was shown, not sure if in testing or Complaint from NTSB, when hit hard enough in a rear end collusion to push into the read suspension which then in turn punctured the fuel tank thus a possible fire. It was redesigned (reason for new part # suffix) to a welded steel version. I guess initial testing was OK so it was released. Now even the new part has caused this Fuel Tank Puncture issue so FCA is recalling ALL parts from dealers and ordering the Dealers to remove them from trucks on the lot.
There is a whole thread on on the boards about this. I found out when I went looking for reviews as I was buying my best friend a retirement present and his 19 Longhorn does not have the step. I hace a 2021 Limited on order with the Bed Utility Group so I guess i will see when my truck arrives.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Holy **** we are driving Ford Pintos!
Very good, had a nice laugh. But you are showing your age.
Now for those who are old enough and can remember:
This coming from an original and current 1994 Ford Explorer.

smashweights

Reaction score
That's how it started. Then it went to the 1500. the original part was a Super heavy cast part which was shown, not sure if in testing or Complaint from NTSB, when hit hard enough in a rear end collusion to push into the read suspension which then in turn punctured the fuel tank thus a possible fire. It was redesigned (reason for new part # suffix) to a welded steel version. I guess initial testing was OK so it was released. Now even the new part has caused this Fuel Tank Puncture issue so FCA is recalling ALL parts from dealers and ordering the Dealers to remove them from trucks on the lot.
There is a whole thread on on the boards about this. I found out when I went looking for reviews as I was buying my best friend a retirement present and his 19 Longhorn does not have the step. I hace a 2021 Limited on order with the Bed Utility Group so I guess i will see when my truck arrives.

I cannot find where the new AG variant of the step is recalled, only the AB (cast iron) version. AG still for sale on most Mopar sites

Sergeant Jim

Reaction score
I cannot find where the new AG variant of the step is recalled, only the AB (cast iron) version. AG still for sale on most Mopar sites

I can't recall where on the boards that thread was. When I get my 2021 in October (hopefully) then if mine is Sans step ill know for sure.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There was a step recall in September 2019 for the 1500 and then April of 2020 for the 2500 and 3500’s.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Here it is : MFT Bed Step /Part Number : 82216265AB

I ordered one the end of July - order got cancelled - on backorder status through September.

ETA 9/5 from an email exchange with the dealer I ordered it from. Whatever the allocation on these is - they are sure to go quick...

Rick

Paultg

Reaction score
I read on here somewhere also that the 1500 bed step was recalled/not available (Part# ending in AG), it was a little over a week ago.
I picked my truck up on 8/10 (last monday) and it had the step installed.
So I'm not sure what is true or not, but I know I read about it before 8/10 and was concerned that my truck might not have the step installed.

smashweights

Reaction score
I read on here somewhere also that the 1500 bed step was recalled/not available (Part# ending in AG), it was a little over a week ago.
I picked my truck up on 8/10 (last monday) and it had the step installed.
So I'm not sure what is true or not, but I know I read about it before 8/10 and was concerned that my truck might not have the step installed.

Can you find this again? I have seen AB-variant recalled on 1500 but nothing on AG-variant. Only bed step recall I can find says AG is the recall fix part

Paultg

Reaction score
Can you find this again? I have seen AB-variant recalled on 1500 but nothing on AG-variant. Only bed step recall I can find says AG is the recall fix part
Here you go, in this thread located in the TSB/Recall forum:
On the bottom of page#1 on Aug 7th a member mentions that the newest AG version is no longer allowed and that the NHSTA Canclled V93 that allowed it as described here:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19E059-3912.pdf

Subsequent replies indicate one person tried to order a bed step (not sure which one) and the order was cancelled.
So I'm not sure I am lucky mine is still installed or what?

Paul G.

smashweights

Reaction score
Here you go, in this thread located in the TSB/Recall forum:
On the bottom of page#1 on Aug 7th a member mentions that the newest AG version is no longer allowed and that the NHSTA Canclled V93 that allowed it as described here:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19E059-3912.pdf

Subsequent replies indicate one person tried to order a bed step (not sure which one) and the order was cancelled.
So I'm not sure I am lucky mine is still installed or what?

Paul G.

Appreciate the reply and no disrespect intended to the poster in that thread but his comment about someone calling him to tell him the AG-variant is also recalled is the only thing on the internet I can find stating such. I'm looking for official documentation stating the AG is recalled as well.

Recall V93 still shows on NHTSA website, nothing AG added or indicating that recall is canceled, and there's no other recalls relating to the bed step or any manufacturer communication indicating other bed step issues there either...

Last edited:

Paultg

Reaction score
Appreciate the reply and no disrespect intended to the poster in that thread but his comment about someone calling him to tell him the AG-variant is also recalled is the only thing on the internet I can find stating such. I'm looking for official documentation stating the AG is recalled as well.

Recall V93 still shows on NHTSA website, nothing AG added or indicating that recall is canceled, and there's no other recalls relating to the bed step or any manufacturer communication indicating other bed step issues there either...

Totally agree. I'm not worried about it one bit. Maybe the info will get updated when FCA updates the website to configure 2021 models! :)

Users who are viewing this thread