5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deflector Pros and Cons

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the WT. I was slightly off on my initial install. I'd say about 1/4'' - 5/16'' to the passenger side. I am going to try and readjust it. I bought replacement fasteners, just in case. The ones that come with it are not very good.
The fasteners that come with it are just fine. You just need to loosen the existing fasteners and slide it a bit. No biggie and should be very easy to do.

U

User_63152

The fasteners that come with it are just fine. You just need to loosen the existing fasteners and slide it a bit. No biggie and should be very easy to do.
When trying to adjust this, I noticed that it seemed a little warped in the middle section. I couldn't get it lined up properly. So, I removed it, got an RA # and returned it.

Maybe it was just a fluke, but it seemed to me that QC was sleeping on the job for this part.

tdager

Reaction score
Two things to consider....

1. Do you live in an area where trees drop leaves/needles and do you park near/under them? If so you can get them stuck in there and they can surface scratch the truck.
2. Same with snow, it can pile up underneath it and may leaves dirt/scratches.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Two things to consider....

1. Do you live in an area where trees drop leaves/needles and do you park near/under them? If so you can get them stuck in there and they can surface scratch the truck.
2. Same with snow, it can pile up underneath it and may leaves dirt/scratches.
Most all deflectors have openings that allow stuff to pass through without getting trapped.

Reaction score
AVS Bugflector 2 installed. Not usually something I'd like but if it prevents stone chips on my hood and windshield then I'll take the "function over aesthetics" approach. Plus got it for a good price on Amazon with a $20 coupon. Only on for a day so far, so time will tell.

20210706_200349.jpg
20210706_200356.jpg

Javerso

Reaction score
I just got the AVS aero skin for Xmas. I do like the look. My question is would it be ok to stick to my PPF on my hood? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just got the AVS aero skin for Xmas. I do like the look. My question is would it be ok to stick to my PPF on my hood? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes...zero issues sticking it to your PPF. Just clean it with alcohol first.

U

User_63152

I got the AVS Aeroskin II back in May. I like it. Haven't had any problems, so far.

Attachments

• AVS A2 a.jpg
    AVS A2 a.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 100
  • AVS A2 b.jpg
    AVS A2 b.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 101

Klicht87

Reaction score
I actually really like the MOPAR deflector. People complained about seeing the screws on the bottom side but they are black and blend in with the deflector and my grill anyway. I got a good discount on veteran's day from my local dealership for $95. Had the weathertech (didn't fit right) and the AVS Aeroskin (didn't stick to the contours of my hood.

Attachments

• image2 (5).jpeg
    image2 (5).jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 94
  • image0 (29).jpeg
    image0 (29).jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 94

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I actually really like the MOPAR deflector. People complained about seeing the screws on the bottom side but they are black and blend in with the deflector and my grill anyway. I got a good discount on veteran's day from my local dealership for $95. Had the weathertech (didn't fit right) and the AVS Aeroskin (didn't stick to the contours of my hood.
The MOPAR does "look" great if you don't mind the visible screws. However, the problem is the design and the clips on the hood. Even though you use the 3M PPF they provide with the clips, if you ever want to take this off down the road, those clips will ultimately do a bit of damage over the years. I am not a big fan of the 3M tape stick-on types, but the WeatherTech design, using plastic clips on the underside of the hood, truly is the best option and best design. I have had two of the WT units now...my 2019 and my 2021. They both looked great and I had zero issues with fit or hood contours.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what its worth.. my weathertech got taken off of my 2019 and in storage got scratched up a bit. I was able to polish those light scratches right out and looks like new on my 2021. All with just an orange pad and some compound.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love the look of the Mopar deflector 👍🏼

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don’t have one but if I did I would go the Mopar route. Honestly never looked at what it takes to install. Is it double sided tape?
You have to install several metal brackets (I believe 6) to the hood of the truck. They do give you some 3M PPF to help protect the hood from getting scratched up by the brackets that "clip" on to the hood. However, over time, they can cause paint damage which is why many love the look, but hate the design since once you put it on, it needs to stay on there for life...which may be just fine to many. No 3M tape is used at all. 3M tape is not used at all on the WeatherTech or the AVS, nor does it use brackets, which is why the WT and AVS are so popular. The beauty of the WT and AVS is they use the factory holes that attach portions of the rubber gasket at the front of the hood and supply plastic clips that hold it in place so easy to install and remove with no signs it was ever there. In addition, they are made of LEXAN which is stronger and far sturdier. The plastic on the MOPAR is ABS which can be finely molded with sharper lines which does look better...it is the install design that just plain old sucks! I have had two WT's on my 19 and 21 and think they look great, but to each their own as long as you understand the potential consequences of the MOPAR brackets damaging your paint over time.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I got the AVS Aeroskin II back in May. I like it. Haven't had any problems, so far.
This is the one I want, but I wish they would have an option in gloss black to match the night grill. Does it help with deflecting bugs from the windshield?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is the one I want, but I wish they would have an option in gloss black to match the night grill. Does it help with deflecting bugs from the windshield?
I have used the WeatherTech on both my 2019 and 2021 and it makes a huge improvement and we have a ton of bugs here in FL.

U

User_63152

Yeah, that would be cool. It does help some. Better than nothing, I guess. (y)

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I have used the WeatherTech on both my 2019 and 2021 and it makes a huge improvement and we have a ton of bugs here in FL.
I currently have a avs bug deflector and it does a **** poor job at keeping bugs off my windshield.

Users who are viewing this thread