5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF gauge problems

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know there was a thread before regarding the def gauge not working correctly and up until this week I’ve had zero issues with mine.

For some reason I decided to wait until I got the “refill def or truck won’t start message” this time to fill my def and I’m kind of regretting it. I got the message Saturday night as I was headed home and had def ready to go, so early Sunday morning I filled up the tank with def fluid that had a production date of Nov 2021. Since that time I have driven over 400km and the gauge is still going down! It is now at 1/8 of a tank and the countdown has continued to reduce.

Luckily I can get into the dealer first thing tomorrow, but with only 600 or so km until the engine won’t restart I hope it’s an easy fix and parts are available.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn’t there a software update to correct that? Can you post up what they did to fix this after you’re done at the dealer?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve always filled my tank until it was overflowing, summer or winter it hasn’t given me any issues. I will update the post when I am finished at the dealer.

According to the tsb posted in the other thread the def system only checks level if the ambient and def fluid temps are over 4C, that’s not going to happen here anytime soon so I’m not sure how they plan to get this fixed.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Park in a warm garage overnight?
That’s a good point. Attached garage is rarely or the same temperature as outside. They usually get heat from the house through the house not being sealed off completely (being drafty). Additionally, the DEF heater in the lines will help the tank defrost while it’s being driven. (Supposedly)

tom318

Reaction score
Thankfully i haven't had this issue but I had something a little different. My warning light would continue to come of for ~3 starts after I filled the tank. The gauge showed full but id get a warning that it wouldn't start after 7800miles. It sorted itself out though. IMG_2651.jpg

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thankfully i haven't had this issue but I had something a little different. My warning light would continue to come of for ~3 starts after I filled the tank. The gauge showed full but id get a warning that it wouldn't start after 7800miles. It sorted itself out though. View attachment 122721
That looks like a software bug. Might be worth reporting to @RamCares. Not sure if they can send that up as a report.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thankfully i haven't had this issue but I had something a little different. My warning light would continue to come of for ~3 starts after I filled the tank. The gauge showed full but id get a warning that it wouldn't start after 7800miles. It sorted itself out though. View attachment 122721
Just giving you lots of notice lol. I’m at the dealer right now, just waiting for the tech to do his thing.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just giving you lots of notice lol. I’m at the dealer right now, just waiting for the tech to do his thing.
Poor guy- try to enjoy some of that crappy coffee and do the best you can to relax. If all else fails, choose a number in your phone, call them, and have a very loud and long meeting/argument near the staff. They’ll get you out quickly.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We’ll this wasn’t what I expected. The truck is not reading the def level at all and they will need to replace the entire def tank which includes the sensors and stuff. Only problem is it is backordered with no ETA at all.

So my truck is now deemed VOR (vehicle off road) while we wait for the parts with no loaners or even rental vehicles available at this time. To add to the situation I have a trip scheduled in only a few weeks that is easily 4000km where I will be towing an enclosed trailer, and no rental vehicle is going to have a hitch or trailer brake controller.

Calling customer care now…

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The problem is the def tank uses some siphon tube that the def can crystalize in to measure the level. It measures the level via air pressure.

Mine clogged when I first got the truck. My fix was to fill the def tank with DI water, a gallon or so and take it down a very rough road and beat on it. It worked and the level read ok but complain the def quality was poor. I topped it off with a box of def and never had another problem.

Now the real fix is that RAM has made a new def tank and sensor that won't bork itself and brick the whole damn truck. That's what you want.

Personally the only reason I'm going to tune my truck is to get rid of the trucks ability to brick itself because of a bad sensor. The emissions and def stuff is fine, it even complaining some is fine. But not brick truck go fark yourself.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep the def tank part number went from 68364204AA to 68364204AB. I’ve actually located one at a dealer over 600 miles away, but at close to $3000 Canadian I can’t justify the cost of buying it unless I get reimbursed.

If customer care ever calls me back (been wait for an hour and a half now) I am going to strongly recommend they do a dealer to dealer transfer of the part as i purchased a truck to do truck things and a rental won’t work.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still waiting to speak to someone at customer care Canada. Over two and a half hours…

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally after an absurd wait on hold I got through to customer care.

The tank required to fix my truck is on a nationwide backorder with no eta at all, the couple that are at dealerships are already spoken for by other trucks that have the exact same issue.

The case manager is going to expedite the parts order (not really sure what this will do in todays post-COVID world). And the dealer has done the same. I told the case manager to pull one off the assembly line which is less than 100 miles from where I live and put a hold a new truck to keep their current customers happy, didn’t get much of an answer to this request tho…

I am still without a rental vehicle of any kind, and there is zero chance I will get a rental vehicle that is equipped to tow my trailer up north in just a few short weeks. Fingers crossed the part can be sourced and installed before my scheduled trip or I will have to figure something else out.

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
Wow. Crazy.
I had a P203E (Reductant Level sensor circuit low) at the beginning of this year. Wasn’t sure if it was a bad sensor but I took it to the dealer, they did that PCM reflash and said it should take care of it. That was at ~50000kms. I’m now at 56000kms and all is well. Knowing all too well how these situations play out, I’ll prob be replacing the tank once my warranty is up. Lol

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am still without a rental or loaner as none are available in my area, it doesn’t make sense that a company that makes automobiles doesn’t have one available for me. I purchased an extended warranty that covers a rental/loaner should the truck ever have to stay overnight or longer, at least the parts are covered…

I never did receive a call back from customer care regarding an eta so I called them and finally got an eta of the end of next week for parts, this of course is not guaranteed and could change at anytime.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rent a comparable replacement vehicle while your truck waits for parts. Let it go over 30 days and just make them buy you a new truck and pay for all the bills. If you pursue it federally there's no offset for use ( mileage ) and you can pursue state and federal at the same time as they are seperate jurisdictions and not double jeopardy.
Covid and their reliance on Just in time inventory should not be your problem.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rent a comparable replacement vehicle while your truck waits for parts. Let it go over 30 days and just make them buy you a new truck and pay for all the bills. If you pursue it federally there's no offset for use ( mileage ) and you can pursue state and federal at the same time as they are seperate jurisdictions and not double jeopardy.
Covid and their reliance on Just in time inventory should not be your problem.
Unfortunately this is not an option in Canada, no lemon laws, not much consumer protection.

Users who are viewing this thread