5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decided To Not Lift My Truck

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have been racking my brain, over analyzing this until I thought my head was going to explode. I just want a good looking, sporty, smooth riding truck. My past experience has been no matter what lift/level you go with, there is some reduction in ride quality and MPG. I know that is the nature of the beast. I just can't do it this time. I am going to return the unused/unopened leveling kit that I bought.

I did buy 275/60/R20 Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus tires, to be installed tomorrow. I am just going to leave the suspension alone. If I did anything in the future, it would be in the other direction. I would lower the rear 2''.

I am not, what you would consider, an off road person. Not that I don't like playing in the mud now and again.

I just can't justify it this time. Not with a $50K+ truck.

I don't know if anyone else can relate or not. It's a little depressing, almost. I don't know. Maybe I'm just having a bad day.

Sorry for the rant.

I factory ordered my truck and could have bought or put on whatever I wanted (money wise too). I was inches away from getting the off road group but couldn't do it; all that weight costs MPG and towing capability which were more important to me. I also loved the all terrain tires I used to have on my previous SUV, but again, not going back there. Ride, noise, MPG, my truck is dialed in right where I want it now with excellent street tires (michelin) and excellent MPG.

No regrets. My 5.7 hemi truck on the highway, gets just a tiny bit worse MPG than my 2012 3.6 v6 Jeep GC with AT's did. Truck will bury the jeep in performance and capability (except offroad, which, I rarely do).

It can be a struggle (for me anyway), but sometimes you just have to know when to say "no" to yourself 🤷‍♂️

U

User_63152

I factory ordered my truck and could have bought or put on whatever I wanted (money wise too). I was inches away from getting the off road group but couldn't do it; all that weight costs MPG and towing capability which were more important to me. I also loved the all terrain tires I used to have on my previous SUV, but again, not going back there. Ride, noise, MPG, my truck is dialed in right where I want it now with excellent street tires (michelin) and excellent MPG.

No regrets. My 5.7 hemi truck on the highway, gets just a tiny bit worse MPG than my 2012 3.6 v6 Jeep GC with AT's did. Truck will bury the jeep in performance and capability (except offroad, which, I rarely do).

It can be a struggle (for me anyway), but sometimes you just have to know when to say "no" to yourself 🤷‍♂️
Same issue on MPG , here. My 2018 3.6L JGC got maybe 2-3 MPG more than my new 5.7L Hemi Ram.

How does that work?! :unsure:

U

User_63152

We'll see after I get my new 275/60/R20 Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus' on this afternoon. I am kind of liking the idea of lowering the rear end 2''. :p

I would be willing to try it and see how it rides. I have never had a lowered vehicle before. Plus, I'd think it would be easier/less time consuming to do the rear than doing a front level. And, I can always swap it back out, easily, if I don't like it.

See? Here I go again!

🤪

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I love the stock ride. If I did anything, it would just a tad bigger tires and a level, but so far comfort has won ;)

Cheers,

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I love the stock ride. If I did anything, it would just a tad bigger tires and a level, but so far comfort has won ;)

Cheers,
I've had a stock Laramie (2019) that I added a 2" level to and now a 2021 Laramie with a 6" lift. Believe it or not the 6" lifted truck rides and drives better than the leveled one did. These trucks hate level kits. The ORG trucks do anyway. All I did was "add just a little leveling kit and bigger tires" and it went to hell.

U

User_63152

I will be honest in stating that the rake in the front bothers me. I really don't know why. I can live with it, obviously, but I wish it wasn't so pronounced.

Now, I want to try the 2'' lowering springs. :ROFLMAO:

I'm awful.

U

User_63152

Here's a question. Does a lowered rear ride better or worse than a leveled/lifted front? Anyone have experience in this?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t forget to include an alignment if you level.
Lowering the rear, no alignment necessary.

U

User_63152

All cleaned up. The tires have a weird dull ashy/soapy look to them. I'm not sure what it is. I scrubbed them with the car soap and a stiff brush. Maybe I need something stronger? I don't want to use tire shine, either. I do not like that stuff.

Yes, I know I missed inside the wheel wells. 🤪

I was in a hurry, had to pick up a pizza from Caesar's. Yum

Attachments

• 20210423_181314.jpg
    20210423_181314.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210423_181331.jpg
    20210423_181331.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210423_184647.jpg
    20210423_184647.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210423_184705.jpg
    20210423_184705.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 95
U

User_63152

My head is swimming again with nightmare-ish visions of my truck with a leveling kit installed. 😈

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
All cleaned up. The tires have a weird dull ashy/soapy look to them. I'm not sure what it is. I scrubbed them with the car soap and a stiff brush. Maybe I need something stronger? I don't want to use tire shine, either. I do not like that stuff

I know you don't like tire shine, but those tires need a coat or two of it to get that deep black color. Put it on, wipe it in and let it sit for a few minutes, then wash it off with soap and water if you want to. They will look better.

U

User_63152

I know you don't like tire shine, but those tires need a coat or two of it to get that deep black color. Put it on, wipe it in and let it sit for a few minutes, then wash it off with soap and water if you want to. They will look better.
I guess I will go pick some up. 😫

Thanks for the tip.

U

User_63152

Ok, I actually found some tire shine in the basement. LOL.

I guess it looks a little better. :ROFLMAO:

I almost forgot how to apply it, it's been so long. I got a little on the wheels. :cool:

Attachments

• 20210423_200717.jpg
    20210423_200717.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210423_200735.jpg
    20210423_200735.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210423_200617.jpg
    20210423_200617.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210423_200637.jpg
    20210423_200637.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 84

ttc06

Reaction score
I have been racking my brain, over analyzing this until I thought my head was going to explode. I just want a good looking, sporty, smooth riding truck. My past experience has been no matter what lift/level you go with, there is some reduction in ride quality and MPG. I know that is the nature of the beast. I just can't do it this time. I am going to return the unused/unopened leveling kit that I bought.

I did buy 275/60/R20 Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus tires, to be installed tomorrow. I am just going to leave the suspension alone. If I did anything in the future, it would be in the other direction. I would lower the rear 2''.

I am not, what you would consider, an off road person. Not that I don't like playing in the mud now and again.

I don't know if anyone else can relate or not. It's a little depressing, almost. I don't know. Maybe I'm just having a bad day.

Sorry for the rant.
Im 3 weeks into my new ram coming from a lifted tundra, and lifted every previous truck. I have the same dilemma, the new truck rides so nice and I don't off road so why mess with it?

Ccm12

Reaction score

Sorry for the rant.
I had something similar but it was ditching real beer for coors light so I didn’t feel like $hit the next day. Being old sucks.

U

User_63152

I had something similar but it was ditching real beer for coors light so I didn’t feel like $hit the next day. Being old sucks.
Coors Banquet Beer, brother! Or, Pabst Blue Ribbon. :cool:

Actually, the best beer for less hangover then next day, is Rolling Rock, hands down. Personal experience.

Users who are viewing this thread