5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealership employees use my personal vehicle for business/joy ride

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
The trust you placed in the dealership has been broken. Clearly you were abused. There has to be some verifiable harm done, other than cause some personal irritation with the entire episode. What I would do is park the truck like you say for a week and see if the etorque drain has been rectified. Because you are in the epicenter of the covid-19 pandemic it's best to stay out of the truck during that time because you don't know who was in it. This isn't a game. If the truck is dead again, then I would be talking with the GM and give him all the facts. Let him rectify the entire problem, truck repair, unauthorized use and placing you in some unnecessary possible harm. Tell him what you want and be reasonable. If his actions are not acceptable to you, move on. If the truck has been repaired to your satisfaction, then I would relay all the facts to Chrysler customer service as well as a copy to the GM. There are some people who should not be there. If the GM has not resolved the problems to your satisfaction, then in the letter to Chrysler ask for a nearby reputable dealer you can take your business to. Keep it all in house, you will get farther down this road. If you threaten lawsuits and the like, everybody just shuts down.
Well said. Thank you.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for keeping this generally civil while maintaining your own points of view. This is a good community.

To the OP, I can appreciate what it feels like to be taken advantage of. In my humble opinion, life’s too short. Make your complaint, get your apology, write your review - but then let it go. Don’t let this eat at you.

2020BigHorn

Reaction score
I know you’ve gotten a lot of replies but i thought i would add to this.
My career track before my current one was as a mechanic. It wasn’t very long, because while i love working on cars, the way the pay worked as a mechanic, it sucked. I wasted a lot of college tuition and time figuring out it wasn’t the job for me.
Anyways, when i was training, i worked at a medium volume dealership under a master mechanic. I have a hard time believing people saying that the GM and service advisors don’t know porters do this stuff. While its against any dealers policy, and the insurance companies frown on this, everyone at the dealership knows this happens. It was part of what i hated about working there and why i don’t take my car to a dealership unless i have to.
We had one porter who went to get lunch after he washed someone’s car at our dealership. He drove approximately 2 miles to the fast food chain. He ended up getting stopped for speeding and got arrested for having a warrant and he didn’t have a license. The cops towed the car and it cost the dealership a lot of money to make here customer happy after the incident and the customer told the service advisor they were never coming back. They also had to have a body shop repair some paint damage from the tow. They ended up not firing the guy, and he continued to do the same thing. Not sure if he ever got stopped by the cops again.
So to everyone saying this is acceptable or something the original poster shouldn’t be worried about, you’re wrong. Even a short trip can result in something like this. Your typical porters are people who are just doing a job to get minimum wage. Many are great people, but there are also a lot who don’t care about your car and treat them that way.

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for keeping this generally civil while maintaining your own points of view. This is a good community.

To the OP, I can appreciate what it feels like to be taken advantage of. In my humble opinion, life’s too short. Make your complaint, get your apology, write your review - but then let it go. Don’t let this eat at you.
I can agree that life is too short but believe me, I’m not gonna let this eat at me. The ball is in the dealerships court now and I’m awaiting a response.

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
I know you’ve gotten a lot of replies but i thought i would add to this.
My career track before my current one was as a mechanic. It wasn’t very long, because while i love working on cars, the way the pay worked as a mechanic, it sucked. I wasted a lot of college tuition and time figuring out it wasn’t the job for me.
Anyways, when i was training, i worked at a medium volume dealership under a master mechanic. I have a hard time believing people saying that the GM and service advisors don’t know porters do this stuff. While its against any dealers policy, and the insurance companies frown on this, everyone at the dealership knows this happens. It was part of what i hated about working there and why i don’t take my car to a dealership unless i have to.
We had one porter who went to get lunch after he washed someone’s car at our dealership. He drove approximately 2 miles to the fast food chain. He ended up getting stopped for speeding and got arrested for having a warrant and he didn’t have a license. The cops towed the car and it cost the dealership a lot of money to make here customer happy after the incident and the customer told the service advisor they were never coming back. They also had to have a body shop repair some paint damage from the tow. They ended up not firing the guy, and he continued to do the same thing. Not sure if he ever got stopped by the cops again.
So to everyone saying this is acceptable or something the original poster shouldn’t be worried about, you’re wrong. Even a short trip can result in something like this. Your typical porters are people who are just doing a job to get minimum wage. Many are great people, but there are also a lot who don’t care about your car and treat them that way.
That’s great insight. Thank you.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The trust you placed in the dealership has been broken. Clearly you were abused. There has to be some verifiable harm done, other than cause some personal irritation with the entire episode. What I would do is park the truck like you say for a week and see if the etorque drain has been rectified. Because you are in the epicenter of the covid-19 pandemic it's best to stay out of the truck during that time because you don't know who was in it. This isn't a game. If the truck is dead again, then I would be talking with the GM and give him all the facts. Let him rectify the entire problem, truck repair, unauthorized use and placing you in some unnecessary possible harm. Tell him what you want and be reasonable. If his actions are not acceptable to you, move on. If the truck has been repaired to your satisfaction, then I would relay all the facts to Chrysler customer service as well as a copy to the GM. There are some people who should not be there. If the GM has not resolved the problems to your satisfaction, then in the letter to Chrysler ask for a nearby reputable dealer you can take your business to. Keep it all in house, you will get farther down this road. If you threaten lawsuits and the like, everybody just shuts down.
Wait, did I miss something in this thread? What harm to the OP did the dealership cause? Are we speaking of COVID? Did their or their employees actions increase the risk to the OP of contracting COVID, or are you speaking of putting the OP at risk for shoddy workmanship? Just seriously asking, not trying to start an argument?

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
Wait, did I miss something in this thread? What harm to the OP did the dealership cause? Are we speaking of COVID? Did their or their employees actions increase the risk to the OP of contracting COVID, or are you speaking of putting the OP at risk for shoddy workmanship? Just seriously asking, not trying to start an argument?
Yes, you missed something.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Yes, you missed something.

Blows my mind that people think no harm no foul.

If you go on vacation and leave your house unlocked, and a stranger comes in and sleep in your bed.... but make sure everything is as you left it.... no harm no problem, right?

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score

If you go on vacation and leave your house unlocked, and a stranger comes in and sleep in your bed.... but make sure everything is as you left it.... no harm no problem, right?
Exactly. Thank you.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Yep, in agreement with you also.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score

And it blows my mind that people don’t understand the English language and use analogies that don’t apply. Here is one definition of harm, feel free to look up others that may prove your point. “harm. Harm is a deliberate injury or damage to someone or something. A playground bully is a mean kid who causes harm to other kids. Harmis both a noun and a verb — when you inflict harm on your brother, you harm him. ... The Old English root word is hearm, which means "hurt" and "pain," but also "evil" and "insult."Now, as I read it, the only possible “harm” here, is the possiblity that his truck was “harmed” by the “illegals”. Was his truck “harmed”?

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
And it blows my mind that people don’t understand the English language and use analogies that don’t apply. Here is one definition of harm, feel free to look up others that may prove your point. “harm. Harm is a deliberate injury or damage to someone or something. A playground bully is a mean kid who causes harm to other kids. Harmis both a noun and a verb — when you inflict harm on your brother, you harm him. ... The Old English root word is hearm, which means "hurt" and "pain," but also "evil" and "insult."Now, as I read it, the only possible “harm” here, is the possiblity that his truck was “harmed” by the “illegals”. Was his truck “harmed”?
Yes, you still missed something.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Duke, I see your point, but think about this.

I don't let anyone drive my vehicle. I don't valet. I don't carry food inside the cab because I don't want odors. I carry my knife on my front pocket, not the back, so as to not make a tear on the leather seat, nor rub my shoes on the metal threshold to keep it pristine.

For the same reason, I don't wear grease or stained clothing, (like mechanics do), without a seat cover. I watch where I park, so my doors don't get dinged. Do you think these yahoos will treat the vehicle the same way you or I would? I know they won't.

We don't know his truck was damaged or not, and this is not considering COVID, which having more than one person, exponentially magnifies the risk of contagion. He could have it now and not know for all we know.

So yeah, it's pretty ****ty what they did and he has every right to be pissed, as would I.

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score

I don't let anyone drive my vehicle. I don't valet. I don't carry food inside the cab because I don't want odors. I carry my knife on my front pocket, not the back, so as to not make a tear on the leather seat, nor rub my shoes on the metal threshold to keep it pristine.

For the same reason, I don't wear grease or stained clothing, (like mechanics do), without a seat cover. I watch where I park, so my doors don't get dinged. Do you think these yahoos will treat the vehicle the same way you or I would? I know they won't.

We don't know his truck was damaged or not, and this is not considering COVID, which having more than one person, exponentially magnifies the risk of contagion. He could have it now and not know for all we know.

So yeah, it's pretty ****ty what they did and he has every right to be pissed, as would I.
Well said. I treat my truck the exact same way myself! It still has the new car smell after 5 months.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Harm comes in many forms..... In this case it's broken trust and yet another mark against Ram dealerships. Their reputation is already questionable

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I agree with all you said , I simply believe that the word “harm” was not appropriate for this case since the OP did not say there was any damage. Now was his trust “ violated”, absolutely. Was he “lied” to, yes I think so, because he states he signed a paper that stated the dealership would not mishandle his car. And maybe others can think of other ways to describe what happened. Now, could he have been “ harmed”, again absolutely, his truck could have been damaged, he in fact may yet contract CVOID, which I certainly hope not, but so far we don’t know that.

Users who are viewing this thread