5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealership delays repair until after warranty? (possibly not malicious)

Slimmons

Reaction score
I have a question about whether or not this sounds reasonable.

Since I bought my 2021 Big Horn offroad, I've have what appears to be a rack and pinion issue. If I'm going faster than 45mph around a sweeping left turn, the steering wheel would stick (initially it felt like lane keep assist, but I don't have that option). I took it to the dealership when it had a few thousand miles, and pointed this out. They said they saw no issue.

I took it in again, for that issue and one other when I had about 20,000 miles. They fixed one issue, and said there was no rack and pinion issue, and they couldn't duplicate the issue.

I just took it in again, now that i'm around 500 miles past my bumper to bumper, and they said the rack and pinion definitely needs to be replaced, and it's not covered under warranty anymore. I mentioned that I had brought this to them before, and they said they'd cover all of it but $1400. I complained further, and got in contact with the guy who sold me the truck, and then they went down to $650.

They're saying that the reason they won't cover it completely is because RAM is pushing back on it since it's out of warranty. Does this sound normal, or should I push harder or contact RAM directly?

RC Turner

Reaction score
If you had it in for this issue while under warranty there should be no problem repaired under warranty. Dealers have the option to do this if they see fit.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Since I bought my 2021 Big Horn offroad, I've have what appears to be a rack and pinion issue. If I'm going faster than 45mph around a sweeping left turn, the steering wheel would stick (initially it felt like lane keep assist, but I don't have that option). I took it to the dealership when it had a few thousand miles, and pointed this out. They said they saw no issue.

I took it in again, for that issue and one other when I had about 20,000 miles. They fixed one issue, and said there was no rack and pinion issue, and they couldn't duplicate the issue.

I just took it in again, now that i'm around 500 miles past my bumper to bumper, and they said the rack and pinion definitely needs to be replaced, and it's not covered under warranty anymore. I mentioned that I had brought this to them before, and they said they'd cover all of it but $1400. I complained further, and got in contact with the guy who sold me the truck, and then they went down to $650.

They're saying that the reason they won't cover it completely is because RAM is pushing back on it since it's out of warranty. Does this sound normal, or should I push harder or contact RAM directly?
I'd ask if they documented your complaint in the system the two times you brought it in. If so, there should be no pushback from Ram. I'm thinking the dealer just wants to get paid regular time for the repaint.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hey Slimmons,

We'd definitely love to look into this for you. Have you previously started a case with Ram Cares? Would you mind sending us a DM with more information so we can see where we can help?

Callie
Ram Cares

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean seriously what amount of money is RAM looking to save in the immediate compared to long term customer for something that was identified early under warranty?? @RamCares ??

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I mean seriously what amount of money is RAM looking to save in the immediate compared to long term customer for something that was identified early under warranty?? @RamCares ??
This is a dealership issues not a Ram issue. Ram makes decisions based on the information provided by dealer.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The dealership doesn't care about a long term customer. They have enough work.
Ramcares\manufacturer cares a LITTLE more.

If the truck was brought it and OP has the documentation he should be able to get Ram to force the dealership to do it under warranty claim.

They definitely want more money and that's why they are pushing it out of warranty, 500 miles lol.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t want them doing the repair after the fact anyways time to find another service dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slimmons

Reaction score
@HSKR R/T originally I agreed with you, and it seemed like a dealership issue. I just got off the phone with the RAM support line, and here's a quote of what they told me.

"We see that you brought the truck in for this issue at 30,000 miles. While this is during your warranty the dealership did not find the issue, and did not order any parts, so it is not covered. All we can offer is cost assistance."

I stayed on the phone for a while, and they put me on hold a few times, because every time they said that, I said I don't want cost assistance, I want the warranty I paid for. That's when they heavily implied that the warranty is only good if the dealership orders a part....which makes no sense.

So, this does not appear to be a dealership issue, and appears to be a RAM issue. I understand that it's possible they will "cost assist" to 100%, but that's ridiculous that my warranty is only functioning if the dealership orders a part.

@RamCares I sent you the case number, and more details.

So, because it will take them 2-3 business days to contact my dealership, I'm probably going to be without my truck for a while. What a party this has become.

Slimmons

Reaction score
@PurpleRT That's one of my concerns now. I don't want them touching my truck. Not that it matters. Now that I know ram doesn't provide a warranty if the dealership can't find the issue in time, I'm not sure I'm going to get it fixed. I'm not paying for it. I'll just drive this until it's dead, and then buy something else. Now I can't even sell this truck, because it really isn't safe in the condition it's in (the condition I got it in).

Slimmons

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up the truck today with no repairs being made, since the warranty isn't valid. I'm hoping ram comes back with something positive. This whole thing just doesn't make any sense to me. I really didn't see ram siding with the dealer. I thought they were blowing smoke when they said "if we can't find it, there is no warranty". It's just awfully convenient that their computer couldn't find this very obvious issue until I was 500 miles out of warranty.

Slimmons

Reaction score
It looks like your initial reaction was the correct one.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@HSKR R/T originally I agreed with you, and it seemed like a dealership issue. I just got off the phone with the RAM support line, and here's a quote of what they told me.

"We see that you brought the truck in for this issue at 30,000 miles. While this is during your warranty the dealership did not find the issue, and did not order any parts, so it is not covered. All we can offer is cost assistance."

I stayed on the phone for a while, and they put me on hold a few times, because every time they said that, I said I don't want cost assistance, I want the warranty I paid for. That's when they heavily implied that the warranty is only good if the dealership orders a part....which makes no sense.

So, this does not appear to be a dealership issue, and appears to be a RAM issue. I understand that it's possible they will "cost assist" to 100%, but that's ridiculous that my warranty is only functioning if the dealership orders a part.

@RamCares I sent you the case number, and more details.

So, because it will take them 2-3 business days to contact my dealership, I'm probably going to be without my truck for a while. What a party this has become.
Thanks for sending that over! We look forward to assisting you.

Callie
Ram Cares

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is standard for any manufacture I deal with.
It's complete BS.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The dealer can request a courtesy repair since you are so close to be outside your warranty. I've seen several get repairs covered this way when they were up to 5k outside of warranty.

Slimmons

Reaction score
Just to update everyone, and for future reference, RAM has appeared to have sided with the dealership. An issue on the vehicle, even well documented, did not exist if the dealership does not find it. I'm going to post this question somewhere else too, but I'm going to ask here as well. Do you think I should go ahead and have the issue fixed for the $650 they're offering, or will the rack and pinion limp along for the life of the vehicle?
Also, I'm very disappointed with RAM on this. It's ridiculous that they are refusing to cover this under warranty. It's been a documented issue since the day I got the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread