5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Screwed Up My Paint

ckirby500

Reaction score
So my dealer replaced both of my RamBoxes under warranty due to not lining up properly. Upon replacing them they broke the covers on each side. Now they have replaced the covers and painted them. The paint is way more gray than the body of the truck. Dealer is saying that because it's plastic they can't do anything. They are "asking the painter" now as I called and told them this wasn't acceptable. Any advice on where to go from here?

Attachments

• Image from iOS (59).jpg
    Image from iOS (59).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 180
  • Image from iOS (58).jpg
    Image from iOS (58).jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 181

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If they are definitely grayer than your originals, then they didn't match what the factory was doing, likely the base coat with reflective material to simulate metal on plastic to make it reflect correctly with the surrounding plastics.

However this could also be the effect of the panels not being exactly in sync with surrounding materials in terms of angle, which will throw off the color matching. You can often see this effect on the gas cover door, which usually seems darker than the surrounding panel.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Slow down and take a breath. It sounds like your dealer is at least working with you to make you happy. Lots of owners have been basically blown off by their dealerships when they complained about the lid alignment issues. You said they are asking the painter about it, so at least wait until you hear back from them about it. Yes, they can do a better job of matching the paint. In the end, if you're not satisfied with the outcome at the dealership take it to different body shops to see what they can do for you. I will say that a local body shop said in order to get a good paint blend, it would be necessary to repaint the sides of the bed along with the lids. That was the only way they could guarantee a color match.

ckirby500

Reaction score
Slow down and take a breath. It sounds like your dealer is at least working with you to make you happy. Lots of owners have been basically blown off by their dealerships when they complained about the lid alignment issues. You said they are asking the painter about it, so at least wait until you hear back from them about it. Yes, they can do a better job of matching the paint. In the end, if you're not satisfied with the outcome at the dealership take it to different body shops to see what they can do for you. I will say that a local body shop said in order to get a good paint blend, it would be necessary to repaint the sides of the bed along with the lids. That was the only way they could guarantee a color match.
They said they were looking at it after I told them I was going to call Ram. They blew me off on it originally. After blowing me off when they broke the boxes even after seeing them broken. Then they tried to just plastic weld them and I pushed back on that. It's been a frustrating process from the start and now telling me "we can't match plastic to metal" and trying to use that as an excuse until told you'll go higher isn't acceptable

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
First, most vehicles nowadays have plastic body panels some place on them. Matching the paint color is basic. It may not 100% perfect on all light. But it should be close enough that no one notices if they don't know to. A body shop that can't achieve this really can't do the most basic repair work.

Next, I agree somewhat with Mike the panda bear guy. Even though the owner had to get the dealership in a headlock, it does sound like the dealership is now trying to make it good. The next step is to wait and see if they succeed.

The last point is likely the most controversial, but I'll say it anyway. As long as Ram has had the Rambox now, they should have perfected it. It's a great idea but has been poorly designed and executed. They look great and seem very useful. But it looks like the plastic lids on them eventually warp or brake. Until Ram or an aftermarket company makes a metal lid (or at least a better designed plastic lid), it's likely better to skip this very cool but flawed option for our trucks. :confused:

ckirby500

Reaction score
First, most vehicles nowadays have plastic body panels some place on them. Matching the paint color is basic. It may not 100% perfect on all light. But it should be close enough that no one notices if they don't know to. A body shop that can't achieve this really can't do the most basic repair work.

Next, I agree somewhat with Mike the panda bear guy. Even though the owner had to get the dealership in a headlock, it does sound like the dealership is now trying to make it good. The next step is to wait and see if they succeed.

The last point is likely the most controversial, but I'll say it anyway. As long as Ram has had the Rambox now, they should have perfected it. It's a great idea but has been poorly designed and executed. They look great and seem very useful. But it looks like the plastic lids on them eventually warp or brake. Until Ram or an aftermarket company makes a metal lid (or at least a better designed plastic lid), it's likely better to skip this very cool but flawed option for our trucks. :confused:
I'll agree completely with you last statement. They were originally fixing them due to warping. A lightweight metal lid can't be that hard to perfect at this point. The versatility and use has been amazing and the paint was pretty dang close from the factory. But yeah I am 100% on point with you on that. Also on the fact that painting plastic and metal with a non-metallic color should not be that difficult at this point in the auto industry.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just to clarify on the design a little. the painted part of the lid is not structural, it's cosmetic. It's even called a garnish in the parts list. The actual lid is the internal black structural portion of the lid. I've been able to make mine fit quite well after learning how they are put together. It requires enlarging some of the screw holes to allow more adjustment, but I'm happy with the results. I agree that they could have put more thought into the design of them. Even the 4th gens had issues with fitment, although nowhere near as bad as 5th gens. As a final note, Ram was forced to change vendors for the 5th gens. This change was not for the better. In the end I disagree with Handy on skipping this option. The usefullness of them outweighs the issues with appearance. I didn't buy this truck for show, I bought it for functionality. I can live with how they look, especially after making the adjustments I made.

ckirby500, I sincerely hope the dealer makes good on the paint issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Plastic panels are difficult to paint matchm. Especially on lighter colors, especially white. Walk most dealer lots, and you will see body panels that don't exactly match up from the factory. Usually it's the plastic front bumpers. Even trying to blend into the surrounding panels doesn't always work. Give them a chance to fix it

RamCares

Reaction score
So my dealer replaced both of my RamBoxes under warranty due to not lining up properly. Upon replacing them they broke the covers on each side. Now they have replaced the covers and painted them. The paint is way more gray than the body of the truck. Dealer is saying that because it's plastic they can't do anything. They are "asking the painter" now as I called and told them this wasn't acceptable. Any advice on where to go from here?
Hi ckirby500,
We'd be happy to provide an additional layer of assistance alongside your dealer. Feel free to send us a PM.

Sarah
Ram Cares

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Just to clarify on the design a little. the painted part of the lid is not structural, it's cosmetic. It's even called a garnish in the parts list. The actual lid is the internal black structural portion of the lid. I've been able to make mine fit quite well after learning how they are put together. It requires enlarging some of the screw holes to allow more adjustment, but I'm happy with the results. I agree that they could have put more thought into the design of them. Even the 4th gens had issues with fitment, although nowhere near as bad as 5th gens. As a final note, Ram was forced to change vendors for the 5th gens. This change was not for the better. In the end I disagree with Handy on skipping this option. The usefullness of them outweighs the issues with appearance. I didn't buy this truck for show, I bought it for functionality. I can live with how they look, especially after making the adjustments I made.

ckirby500, I sincerely hope the dealer makes good on the paint issue.
Care to give instructions on how to adjust them, especially the skin painted part. They did some work on mine and that part isn’t sitting as flush as it did prior to and if I can fix it myself I would rather do that.

slatersan

Reaction score
I disagree with Handy on skipping this option. The usefullness of them outweighs the issues with appearance. I didn't buy this truck for show, I bought it for functionality.
Absofreakinglutely.

Best and most functional option I've ever had on a vehicle. Full stop.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Care to give instructions on how to adjust them, especially the skin painted part. They did some work on mine and that part isn’t sitting as flush as it did prior to and if I can fix it myself I would rather do that.
Sure. There are three adjustments I made to make my lids fit better. Mopar tool 2069900230 allows adjustment of the striker for adjusting the long gap front to rear.
Rambox adjustment tool.jpg

The screws for the garnish need to be removed to enlarge the holes for adjusting the flush fit for the lids. Be sure to pull the garnish out from behind the screw hole before elarging them.
Rambox garnish adjustment screws.jpg

You can also adjust the flushness with the bed using the rubber bumpers in each corner.
Rambox lid bumper.jpg

I think the fit came out pretty good.
Right rambox lid.jpg

The only thing I haven't figured out how to adjust is the top of each end. But I can live with that for now.
Side view.jpg

Klicht87

Reaction score
I had a brand new 2018 Honda Accord a couple vehicles back, pearl white in color. The trunk garnish strip on the back was plastic and was off just a tad, similar to the OP's ram box lids. I blamed it on the plastic.

ckirby500

Reaction score
Sure. There are three adjustments I made to make my lids fit better. Mopar tool 2069900230 allows adjustment of the striker for adjusting the long gap front to rear.
View attachment 106833

The screws for the garnish need to be removed to enlarge the holes for adjusting the flush fit for the lids. Be sure to pull the garnish out from behind the screw hole before elarging them.
View attachment 106834

You can also adjust the flushness with the bed using the rubber bumpers in each corner.
View attachment 106835

View attachment 106836

The only thing I haven't figured out how to adjust is the top of each end. But I can live with that for now.
View attachment 106837
That top is what started this for me. They told me it had to be replaced. Dealer said they have a new manufacturer now that has resolved the warping of that. I will give credit, the fit there is much better. You keep your same top and skin but the entire inside is replaced

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
View attachment 106833

View attachment 106834

View attachment 106835

View attachment 106836

View attachment 106837
My issue is the white part needs to go back under the black top part further. Which adjustment would help with that?

Attachments

• 7B744B8F-017F-4293-B742-9280C1DE9B5E.jpeg
    7B744B8F-017F-4293-B742-9280C1DE9B5E.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 28

ckirby500

Reaction score
My issue is the white part needs to go back under the black top part further. Which adjustment would help with that?
That was what happened after the dealer fixed it. They cracked those screw holes and it looked like that. Warranty May fix them

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's not something I've looked into adjusting. I'll try to find some time this weekend to look into that, more out of curiosity since mine are aligned okay.

Users who are viewing this thread