5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dealer said Chrysler wants $350 to "subscribe" to larger tires to adjust my speedometer?!?!?!?!?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Post #44. So I could have..... Obviously he didn't.

Let me explain this for you.... a dealer can sell you a truck for $65,000 and another dealer can sell you the exact same truck for $75,000. It is like Chrysler extended warranty, there are no set prices other than what "cost" is.

I see how post #44 can confuse you.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Let me explain this for you.... a dealer can sell you a truck for $65,000 and another dealer can sell you the exact same truck for $75,000. It is like Chrysler extended warranty, there are no set prices other than what "cost" is.

I see how post #44 can confuse you.
How am I confused? He didn't have the extended warranty. He didn't realize he could have one, and have it pay for it.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How am I confused? He didn't have the extended warranty. He didn't realize he could have one, and have it pay for it.
An extended warranty has nothing to do with this.
When you go to a dealership to have the tire size calibrated, the dealer must purchase the Mopar Custom Calibration plan via MVP on your behalf specifically for your VIN. That document that @Cbty2050 posted is the instructions for the dealer on purchasing and obtaining the programming, and the cost of that plan TO THE DEALER. Once the dealer purchases the custom calibration for the VIN, it will populate in their scan tool to be able to calibrate that specific VIN’s tire size.
If @TyH2009 had the dealer perform the tire size calibration on his truck, then that is the calibration plan the dealership had to purchase from Mopar Vehicle Protection in order to do it. Once they purchase that plan on behalf of the customer, they can charge the customer whatever they want for it, just like each individual dealership can charge whatever they want for various other services that they offer.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those 2 things I mentioned are examples of how dealers can charge differently for the exact same thing. I know what happened to him and he is handling on his end. It is a bad look from the dealer.

TyH2009

Reaction score
Post #44. So I could have..... Obviously he didn't.
True. But they didn’t even offer this as an option to me. They wanted their $199 an hour labor charge. Which for hooking up a computer and running a program is pretty easy.

frisby5

Reaction score
JScan is definitely the cheapest & easiest route to accomplish this. I paid $33 for the OBD2 module, $18 for the security bypass cable, and $20 to add my VIN to the app. All in for $71. I have 37s so I changed my tire size to 36.25 and it’s perfect - and also my parking sensors all still work perfectly fine. I never use them but I turned them on just to check and sure enough they work like nothing’s changed. I also changed my DRL to the amber turn signals, I set my tire pressure light to come on at a lower PSI since sometimes my 37s dip below 30psi when it’s cold, I changed the startup screen to say Sport instead of Bighorn, and I enabled fogs to stay on with the high beams. There’s even more you can do too! All for $71 - can’t beat it. And it works for iPhone or android too
Do you know if i can change my screen to say sport in Alfa obd?

6of36

Reaction score
True. But they didn’t even offer this as an option to me. They wanted their $199 an hour labor charge. Which for hooking up a computer and running a program is pretty easy.
It's not about how easy it is. Labor charges are expensive, and it sounds like it takes time to download. I added a trailer hitch on a Grand Cherokee once. I got prices up to $300, but found a dealer to do it for $50. When I took a vehicle in for service once, I was talking to the write up person, and was told some bulb replacements cost over $300 in labor.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not about how easy it is. Labor charges are expensive, and it sounds like it takes time to download. I added a trailer hitch on a Grand Cherokee once. I got prices up to $300, but found a dealer to do it for $50. When I took a vehicle in for service once, I was talking to the write up person, and was told some bulb replacements cost over $300 in labor.
It can be done in 30 minutes or less. Just like the grand cherokee trailer wiring update/program. Once the sales code is added to the vin, they simply "restore vehicle configuration". It pays the dealer .2hrs to update....

Cgo

Reaction score
I have a 21 limited. I installed 33x12.5 nitto recons. I checked my speed with handheld GPS. It was still accurate. Do some trucks have GPS fed speedometers? Not sure why mine is still accurate.

flyinverted

Reaction score
A good reason to do the calibration yourself. You can spend ~$100 for AlfaOBD or pony up $300 for Tazer DT.
Even with the AlfaOBD, you can only go up to ~2560mm before the park sense sensors are disabled. THIS is the reason why you need the sales code added.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Even with the AlfaOBD, you can only go up to ~2560mm before the park sense sensors are disabled. THIS is the reason why you need the sales code added.
This was discussed before and seems like there are a lot of mixed answers on this. Mine is currently at 2700mm and park sense is still working.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

Your entire post is wrong. I used 2625mm's with AlfaOBD and my park sensors still worked. The current limit on tire size calibration is ~35"/2740mm's, no matter if you or the dealer change the tire size. I'm not sure why you capitalized "THIS". Do you have some sort of axe to grind with me?

RAL

Reaction score
Sorry to be pointed, but this is a great example of why not to do this kind of thing. Probably the best thing about the Ram 1/2 ton is the ride quality and NVH, particularly for a truck. When you add aggressive tires, you are degrading the ride quality, increasing noise, decreasing the handling, and wasting fuel. And if I am not mistaken Recons are made by Nitto, which is not the best tire from a quality perspective (people complain about the cost of Michelins and Bridgestones, but generally they are round - not always the case with cheaper brands). You are paying for those privileges and the cherry on top is another $350 to get the speedometer recalibrated. I really don't get why people do this stuff. I think my Laramie has 20s - that's already too big from a ride and handling perspective. I guess different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

mplaramie

Reaction score
Sorry to be pointed, but this is a great example of why not to do this kind of thing. Probably the best thing about the Ram 1/2 is the ride quality and NVH, particularly for a truck. When you add aggressive tires, you are degrading the ride quality, increasing noise, decreasing the handling, and wasting fuel. And if I am not mistaken Recons are made by Nitto, which is not the best tire from a quality perspective (people complain about the cost of Michelins and Bridgestones, but generally they are round - not always the case with cheaper brands). You are paying for those privileges and the cherry on top is another $350 to get the speedometer recalibrated. I really don't get why people do this stuff. I think my Laramie has 20s - that's already too big from a ride and handling perspective. I guess different strokes for different folks.
Just had my Ram in for PCM recall today and the dealer changed my tire size NO CHARGE. I was shocked. Most dealers suck but mine has been good to me. VISION AUTO in Upstate NY.

Users who are viewing this thread