5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dealer said Chrysler wants $350 to "subscribe" to larger tires to adjust my speedometer?!?!?!?!?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just went to the dealer to have mine reflashed yesterday Took an hour and a half to run the reprogram they said and they charged me an hour and a half labor, $199 an hour, so $300, what a freaking ripoff.
If you buy the service contract from them, that includes the labor. For a lack of better words they ****ed you.

Attached a copy of the original info from Ram on cost and labor op codes to get paid. That cost may have gone up, but not by much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230408_083649_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230408_083649_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

TyH2009

Reaction score
If you buy the service contract from them, that includes the labor. For a lack of better words they ****ed you.

Attached a copy of the original info from Ram on cost and labor op codes to get paid. That cost may have gone up, but not by much.
Does that have to be done within a certain time of buying the vehicle? It’s a little unclear.
@RamCares any insight? I can provide my service info via private message.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does that have to be done within a certain time of buying the vehicle? It’s a little unclear.
@RamCares any insight? I can provide my service info via private message.
It has to be done 30 days from plan purchase I believe, that gives some time to get tire size/speedometer correct.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
JScan is definitely the cheapest & easiest route to accomplish this. I paid $33 for the OBD2 module, $18 for the security bypass cable, and $20 to add my VIN to the app. All in for $71. I have 37s so I changed my tire size to 36.25 and it’s perfect - and also my parking sensors all still work perfectly fine. I never use them but I turned them on just to check and sure enough they work like nothing’s changed. I also changed my DRL to the amber turn signals, I set my tire pressure light to come on at a lower PSI since sometimes my 37s dip below 30psi when it’s cold, I changed the startup screen to say Sport instead of Bighorn, and I enabled fogs to stay on with the high beams. There’s even more you can do too! All for $71 - can’t beat it. And it works for iPhone or android too

Attachments

• 31C4C396-2543-4D56-A05F-697F807DC177.jpeg
    31C4C396-2543-4D56-A05F-697F807DC177.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 20

TyH2009

Reaction score
I would be calling them and questioning their process.
Their thought process was it took an hour and a half to run the programming, don’t know if it was a complete reset or what, it that seems like a long time, their hourly rate is $199, so hour and a half is $300. Cash grab and go.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Their thought process was it took an hour and a half to run the programming, don’t know if it was a complete reset or what, it that seems like a long time, their hourly rate is $199, so hour and a half is $300. Cash grab and go.
I get what they think, but they get paid from Ram to perform the programming. It takes longer to pay for the contract than it does to perform update to vin and program the truck.

flying53brian

Reaction score
JScan is definitely the cheapest & easiest route to accomplish this. I paid $33 for the OBD2 module, $18 for the security bypass cable, and $20 to add my VIN to the app. All in for $71. I have 37s so I changed my tire size to 36.25 and it’s perfect - and also my parking sensors all still work perfectly fine. I never use them but I turned them on just to check and sure enough they work like nothing’s changed. I also changed my DRL to the amber turn signals, I set my tire pressure light to come on at a lower PSI since sometimes my 37s dip below 30psi when it’s cold, I changed the startup screen to say Sport instead of Bighorn, and I enabled fogs to stay on with the high beams. There’s even more you can do too! All for $71 - can’t beat it. And it works for iPhone or android too
Hi there, where'd you get yours. Their site does allow purchases, or am I just missing something?

2020 Ram Rebel 4x4
Fox 2.5 lift

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hi there, where'd you get yours. Their site does allow purchases, or am I just missing something?

2020 Ram Rebel 4x4
Fox 2.5 lift
You download the app in the AppStore and then when you pair it with your truck it’ll ask if you just want to read the diagnostic codes for free or if you want to make changes and pair it to your VIN which is $20 thru the app

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I get what they think, but they get paid from Ram to perform the programming. It takes longer to pay for the contract than it does to perform update to vin and program the truck.
Ram doesn't pay to program for aftermarket changes.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram doesn't pay to program for aftermarket changes.
They literally sell a service contract for oversized tires. If you read that attachment it gives you the "labor op code".

It's like buying an oil change service contract, Ram pays the dealer labor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230408_083649_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230408_083649_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 18

6of36

Reaction score
They literally sell a service contract for oversized tires. If you read that attachment it gives you the "labor op code".

It's like buying an oil change service contract, Ram pays the dealer labor.
But he doesn't have that coverage, so Ram doesn't pay.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But he doesn't have that coverage, so Ram doesn't pay.
How do you know what "coverage" he has. Ram/Stellantis sells a service contract to customers to program tire sizes. I'm not sure why you are arguing this point.

6of36

Reaction score
How do you know what "coverage" he has. Ram/Stellantis sells a service contract to customers to program tire sizes. I'm not sure why you are arguing this point.
He said he didn't.

TyH2009

Reaction score
Did he? He went to the dealer to have "reflashed". This is a common term in service departments.

@TyH2009 did you pay to have your speedometer updated at the dealer?
I did, but they charged me labor rate by the hour, said it took an hour and a half. At the time I had no clue there was this service bulletin and they said nothing about it.

6of36

Reaction score
Did he? He went to the dealer to have "reflashed". This is a common term in service departments.

@TyH2009 did you pay to have your speedometer updated at the dealer?
Post #44. So I could have..... Obviously he didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread