5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer claim dodge won’t warranty paint issues

Jakmc25

Reaction score
I recently bought my first ram truck, it’s used but checked all the boxes I was looking for, Rambox, 3.92, LED lights, and Equipment 2 Package. These are surprisingly hard to find in my area (with or without the Rambox)

While looking the truck over I noticed areas around the drivers side front and rear window where the paint looked chipped away. To me it does not look like any kind of damage or wear and tear but a paint deform from the factory. The service department claims even though it does have a paint warrenty dodge will not cover the repair. Has anyone else had this issue any suggestions?

Attachments

• 0C78184B-E741-4901-85D2-E28F533B3339.jpeg
    0C78184B-E741-4901-85D2-E28F533B3339.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 174
  • FCFEDBAA-A521-42A2-BBBF-492CB17F745F.jpeg
    FCFEDBAA-A521-42A2-BBBF-492CB17F745F.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 173

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you purchased it used, I doubt they will warranty it. IMHO, they can't warranty paint as they'd have to cover every paint chip, scratch or issue which would be impossible. Even when purchasing a brand new vehicle, the dealers have you inspect it before you drive off...scratches aren't covered under the warranty however paint bonding issues may be under warranty depending upon FCA and the dealer's attitude on that day.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Can’t tell 100%, but from the looks of your photos, it looks like it has been re-sprayed. At least it seems like it to me (perhaps a closer shot would help). Def not covered by warranty if someone else repainted it.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I recently bought my first ram truck, it’s used but checked all the boxes I was looking for, Rambox, 3.92, LED lights, and Equipment 2 Package. These are surprisingly hard to find in my area (with or without the Rambox)

While looking the truck over I noticed areas around the drivers side front and rear window where the paint looked chipped away. To me it does not look like any kind of damage or wear and tear but a paint deform from the factory. The service department claims even though it does have a paint warrenty dodge will not cover the repair. Has anyone else had this issue any suggestions?
What generally happens is the dealer takes pictures, emails them to FCA, and they approve or deny coverage for the paint. My guess is since it is used and your pictures look like overspray, it will be denied. The dealer does not make that call. FCA does

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What generally happens is the dealer takes pictures, emails them to FCA, and they approve or deny coverage for the paint. My guess is since it is used and your pictures look like overspray, it will be denied. The dealer does not make that call. FCA does
FCA makes the call but the dealer plays a significant role in the call made by FCA. The claim is Dead on Arrival without the dealer's support.

Big White RAM

Reaction score

Definately looks like it was re- painted. The trim was taped off and not removed prior to painting. Maybe a carfax report would explain the repair.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
That’s what tipped me off also.
Many years in the classic car restoration field back in the day when shortcuts were not taken; at least in my shop. Even with careful prep work, to a trained eye there will always be tell tail signs of masked off areas.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Many years in the classic car restoration field back in the day when shortcuts were not taken; at least in my shop. Even with careful prep work, to a trained eye there will always be tell tail signs of masked off areas.
Same here. Grew up in my dad’s body shop so I’ve seen (and done) it all.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Yeah, it's too bad there is very little attention to detail nowadays. When I had my shop my reputation was everything, and I valued that. I've seen so much shoddy workmanship in my time, but very little pristine work. Everything seems to be based on volume; not pride in workmanship.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No way factory will cover that...it's most definitely a bad masking job from a previous repair.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In 1994 I purchased a Chevy S10 Blazer w/14 miles on it. First two months I used a spray/liquid wax on
it. The third month I used a Paste wax and 4 panels DIED! They went from Gloss Black to Flat Black.
I went to the Dealer to complain because I found the tape lines where they had resprayed those Panels
to fix Shipping Damage. Went to the Dealer's Body shop to talk to that Manager. The Assistant came
out and was talking to me. I told him why I was there and pointed to the truck. He asked what year it
was and I said it was a 1994. (Last Year of the Square Body) He went strait over to the truck to read
the VIN. He came back and said "I guess you do have a beef about the paint." It still took six weeks
to get it in for the whole truck to be repainted.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread