5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead In The Garage - Now 3rd Time

dmodem

Reaction score
Have they replaced the battery?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044783 miles.
No. The 2nd time since the battery tested good after it was towed in, they said they couldn't cover a battery under warranty. That's when they told me to start it every day or so.

Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
By the numbers, you're right, but it doesn't feel that way when it's happening to you, especially if it's on more than one occasion. My 2021 5.7Hemi etorque Limited is in the shop for the 2nd time for what appears to be the same issue with wrong root cause on first fix. I bought it 3-1/2 weeks ago. It's been in the shop 19 of 26 days I've owned it. They do have issues with the 48V battery and generator/motor. Both of mine have failed, and both are hard to replace. Wouldn't be surprised if the OPs issue is rooted in this. From my understanding the generator/motor charges the 48V battery, which in turn charges the 12V. It also powers most or all of the cars electronics. I'm not sure about engine spark. But it's obviously a very complicated system overall, and as others have stated as with any vehicle these days, electric issues can be extremely hard to tackle, like finding a needle in a haystack.

I understand and agree with that, its just some seem to try and act like this is a widespread systemic problem with the ruck/system an the numbers don't bear that out

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No. The 2nd time since the battery tested good after it was towed in, they said they couldn't cover a battery under warranty. That's when they told me to start it every day or so.
Had an event where the Ram would not come out of 1st gear and resolved itself an hour later. Dealership replaced the battery after testing and flashed TCM, no charge. This occurred a little over the 2 year mark of ownership.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
How old is your truck and how many miles?

Shadow14

Reaction score
If the dealership is telling you the battery is not covered under warranty, then IMO they are just outright lying. Mine went out at 2 years with no warning. Luckily I had a spare to power it until the dealer could get it in. It was replaced under warranty.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If the dealership is telling you the battery is not covered under warranty, then IMO they are just outright lying. Mine went out at 2 years with no warning. Luckily I had a spare to power it until the dealer could get it in. It was replaced under warranty.
THIS^^^. The battery has a 3/36 warranty just like the rest of your truck. If they have to replace it 10 times....they are all covered under warranty.

vegaskeith

Reaction score
If you look at my first post on this issue, now I always shut it down carefully and listen for any beep when exiting. Sine I have instituted this new shutdown procedure, no issues whatsoever.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you look at my first post on this issue, now I always shut it down carefully and listen for any beep when exiting. Sine I have instituted this new shutdown procedure, no issues whatsoever.
Interesting that you brought up the fuses not being fully pushed in. I noticed the same on my 2021 when I installed my dash cam and radar detector. I started pushing on ALL of them only to find that very few were fully seated. They are all good now, but I was surprised to find this!

dmodem

Reaction score
They didn't say it wasn't covered. They stated they could find no reason to replace it under warranty as the battery was holding a charge when they diagnosed the truck.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The symptom set you earlier documented contains the signature of a bad battery. This is how many people describe the failure, and I've seen this three times myself. Most vehicles nowadays contain some form of intelligent battery monitoring. The give away is when the starter won't engage, won't start with a jump, and nearly every cluster lamp is illuminated. The intelligent battery system has sensed a battery that cannot supply all the current necessary to properly function all of the other systems and locks into the load sharing mode, which because of the faulty battery will not allow the starter to engage.

It would've been nice if you could've measured the battery terminal voltage with a shop quality digital voltmeter to verify the condition.

As to the dealer saying they can't warranty a battery...you're dealing with the wrong people!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044824 miles.

dmodem

Reaction score
The symptom set you earlier documented contains the signature of a bad battery. This is how many people describe the failure, and I've seen this three times myself. Most vehicles nowadays contain some form of intelligent battery monitoring. The give away is when the starter won't engage, won't start with a jump, and nearly every cluster lamp is illuminated. The intelligent battery system has sensed a battery that cannot supply all the current necessary to properly function all of the other systems and locks into the load sharing mode, which because of the faulty battery will not allow the starter to engage.

It would've been nice if you could've measured the battery terminal voltage with a shop quality digital voltmeter to verify the condition.

As to the dealer saying they can't warranty a battery...you're dealing with the wrong people!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044824 miles.
It didn't lock into any mode. During each of the 3 examples, the battery was completely dead. So dead that the overhead lights didn't even illuminate with a door open.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had two Limiteds, a 2019 and a 2020 and this has happened once to each of them. Both times they were in the garage and were completely and totally dead. The booster packs would not start the truck and had to be jumped off the tow truck. I too had all of the warning lights etc, but they all self-cleared after running for half an hour. I've been fortunate to be at home when this has occurred, but it is quite disconcerting.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It didn't lock into any mode. During each of the 3 examples, the battery was completely dead. So dead that the overhead lights didn't even illuminate with a door open.
The "mode" I'm referring to is a constant monitoring circuit that predicts battery viability. It's working all of the time. If the intelligent battery circuit senses a decrease in battery efficiency, it enables a feature called Load Sharing or Shedding. This will begin to switch off various devices determined to be unnecessary for continued battery charge by measuring current flow in and out of the battery. It also stores the battery state of charge and battery state of function which establishes a prediction of the lowest voltage the battery will drop to during engine cranking. If the intelligent battery system believes the battery cannot produce enough current, the system shuts down the ability of engine cranking.

If during rest the battery develops a short or open, even if only momentary, the system tells various modules to shutdown and will keep them locked down until the intelligent battery system is reinitialized. This is why attempts to jump start are usually unsuccessful.

However, in your case the dealer said they recharged the battery which indicates the possibility of an unintended drain on the battery. There could be a problem in the TIPM or BCM allowing current to be drawn when the ignition switch is off. But holding a charge after being recharged still does not necessarily mean the battery is healthy and problem free.

Best regards,
Dusty

Cochise

Reaction score
I’ve had my truck 2 months now and this morning was the 3rd time I came out to a dead battery/truck not starting. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Each time it’s happened the truck has sat at least a day without me driving it.

dmodem

Reaction score
I’ve had my truck 2 months now and this morning was the 3rd time I came out to a dead battery/truck not starting. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Each time it’s happened the truck has sat at least a day without me driving it.
As my premier dealer said: "you should start it every day or so, or your microwave could be activating a module". Solution: cancel all electric service and hire someone to swing by and start it on schedule. Nonense.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The first thing they should do is perform a current draw test.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044934 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/