5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead battery

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Similar issue with mine. I ended up buying one from AutoZone until I have time to go take leave the truck for them to diagnose a dead battery.

I had mine on the trickle charger for 3 days before it finally took a charge.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lead-acid batteries have been around for more than a hundred years, yet you'd think they forgot how to make them.

I was in Auto Zone a few weeks ago and a fellow was buying a replacement battery for a two month old Subaru. It was Saturday and his dealer was closed. Last week a neighbor with a five month old Traverse had a battery fail.

Seems to be quite a lot of battery failures lately.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 043858 miles.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Who cornered the battery market? What happened to the Sears Die Hard I bought so many years ago that would last past the warranty period? Why do I have a feeling that some well educated individuals in FINANCE now controls MY car battery's life? AND is probably getting very wealthy over my problems.

My Ram's battery is the 5th vehicle that could not make the 3 year mark, 2 I can put some blame on intermittent vehicle use.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To charge a DEAD AGM battery you need to parallel a good battery onto it and charge both of them.

+ to +
- to -
and then charge to the good battery and it will bring the "dead" battery back to life after a few hours.

Then disconnect it and charge the dead battery for many hours until it is full.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Who cornered the battery market? What happened to the Sears Die Hard I bought so many years ago that would last past the warranty period? Why do I have a feeling that some well educated individuals in FINANCE now controls MY car battery's life? AND is probably getting very wealthy over my problems.

My Ram's battery is the 5th vehicle that could not make the 3 year mark, 2 I can put some blame on intermittent vehicle use.
I was thinking the same thing. The Die Hard in my 2005 Audi lasted 6 years before slow cranking after a week of sitting. These AGM batteries definitely have a short life span with little to no warning when they go kaput

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Look where is Sears now? lol j/k, anyway the quality now day is way different from back then. You may right about well educated individuals in FINANCE now controls of quality therefore most of the stuff now we needed to buy ext. warranty which is suck.

Last edited:

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look where is Sears now? lol j/k, anyway the quality now day is way different from back then. I may right about well educated individuals in FINANCE now controls of quality therefore most of the stuff now we needed to buy ext. warranty which is suck.
Advance Auto carries the DieHards now, that'll definitely be the route I take when the need arises.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My factory ATV battery went six years before I had to replace it. I heard all the hype about AGM and looking at the specs they looked like they had a technical benefit. I don't normally follow the crowd and rely on my personal research, but in this case I succumbed and purchased an AGM replacement. That lasted a year. Replaced that one with another "everybody recommends" brand of AGM. Well, now that the temps have dropped the new battery just barely cranks the motor.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 043951 miles.

BillyCrash

Reaction score
Battery won’t charge it set for a couple of weeks now won’t take charge
Exactly what just happened to my 2020 1500. Was away for 2 weeks, and when I came back it was totally dead. Portable jumper wouldn't work, had to do actual 2nd vehicle jump. Took to dealer and they said bad battery and replaced.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Three words more than likely: Made in China...

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I dont think our batteries are Chinese made. i was about to prattle off the locations of Johnson Controls and a couple other major makers then I looked at this article and fell asleep... it’s an exhaustive list of brands, makers and where the factory is located...

LEAD-ACID BATTERY MANUFACTURERS AND BRAND NAMES LIST 2020
Bill Darden
Last Updated on December 6, 2020

if you can get through that listing you have a lot of patience. I for one still cannot tell what my RAM battery is however I suspect that its a vrla (valve regulated lead acid) not an agm from the factory. It has never given me a problem, but I do trickle charge it about weekly.

river rat

Reaction score
Trickle chargers are your best friend if the car/truck is going to sit for more than a few days. Been using one on the Viper for years, as it doesn't get driven as much as it should.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Yep. With uhh 11K miles on a 20 month old truck, it doesn’t get out much. ‘Garage queen”.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the reason I added a second battery to my truck so I could jump myself off and not be sitting with a dead battery on the side of the road.

It appears that RAM put AGM batteries in some trucks and Lead Acid in others. I suspect t he lead AGM batteries are in the E-Torque trucks.

I will start a poll to test my theory.

Nova

Reaction score
I believe the last time this came up, it came down to:
AGM in Diesel trucks
Lead Acid in Non-Diesel, regardless of e-torque.

My truck has e-torque, build date 09/18, the battery was lead acid and it recently died. Replaced it with an AGM

kittyjo

Reaction score
Had my battery in the truck since factory 3-18 never had any problems. Just replaced it with agm interstate battery. There was nothing wrong with it just wanted a new agm battery since it’s free for me. Interstate battery has never had much problems very few warranties . That’s why there is warranty on batteries for those rare batteries who have problems. We will tell u if u have a problem with the battery or ur car and save u money if there’s nothing wrong with battery....Auto zone , Napa doesn’t know how to check batteries properly or charge them.. just my .02$

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was in AutoZone this morning picking up a part for my neighbor's car and noticed a number of apparently used batteries sitting on a cart. I asked the salesperson if the cold weather snap had produced some bad batteries and he said the ones on the cart were from the week before. He commented that they've sold more batteries (through his store) this year than all of the last three years.

I don't know what these fit but he said he can't keep U1s, H8s, or 51Rs in stock.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044354 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread