5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead battery

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Mine was dead this morning. About 2 years old and 26K miles. I’m charging it at the moment.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was in AutoZone this morning picking up a part for my neighbor's car and noticed a number of apparently used batteries sitting on a cart. I asked the salesperson if the cold weather snap had produced some bad batteries and he said the ones on the cart were from the week before. He commented that they've sold more batteries (through his store) this year than all of the last three years.

I don't know what these fit but he said he can't keep U1s, H8s, or 51Rs in stock.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044354 miles.
That's mean AutoZone batteries suck.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's mean AutoZone batteries suck.
I think you're misinterpreting my message. Actually, I should've been clearer in my message.

The bad batteries on the cart appeared to be a mixture of different brands. There was at least one Interstate but I can't say I saw any that were marked as AutoZone brand. Did see a couple of Honda and Delco OEMs.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044404 miles.

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Took a charge just fine. Started up, but check engine light now stays on..
My battery took a charge but was replaced by the dealership, 2+ years old.
As per repair ticket:
Tech found battery voltage low. Load tested the battery with GR8 machine. Battery failed load test.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
My battery took a charge but was replaced by the dealership, 2+ years old.
As per repair ticket:
Tech found battery voltage low. Load tested the battery with GR8 machine. Battery failed load test.
Spoke to the service department, Monday morning appt. scheduled for this and the power folding mirror I’ve been putting off.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, did anyone with a failed battery or no start condition ever see a Battery Saver On indicator or message, or Battery Charge indicator illuminated in the cluster sometime before failure?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044409 miles.

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
Spoke to the service department, Monday morning appt. scheduled for this and the power folding mirror I’ve been putting off.
If your tailgate cable is slack on one side throw that in also. But make sure to take a copy of the TSB. More than likely they have no idea and will have to order the cable.

Attachments

• Ram TSB cable MC-10169251-9999.pdf
    27.5 KB · Views: 15

COSPILOT

Reaction score
If your tailgate cable is slack on one side throw that in also. But make sure to take a copy of the TSB. More than likely they have no idea and will have to order the cable.
LOL, I have that issue as well. Good reminder.

Jako

Reaction score
LOL, I have that issue as well. Good reminder.
How about ANC (rumbling at about 1400 RPMs when in eco mode), might have to load up back seat to make it happen. LOL also. I brought my truck in for an issue and put them all together. Unfortunately my service does not read the 5th Gen Forum and I need to give them the Technical Service Bulletin. Not the first time dealing with service issues (not Ram specific). The way of the world today. Perhaps just too much information in the world today.
Many thanks to all contributors for the "education", I think I should be getting college credits for all the reading and studying.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine truck is slow to crank the last few day's I'm assuming it is the battery, hopefully not an etorque issue as the stop start is working fine. I'm I correct that battery is covered under the 3/36K warrenty? I usually get 4 plus years out of a battery and the truck is only 2.5 years old.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Mine truck is slow to crank the last few day's I'm assuming it is the battery, hopefully not an etorque issue as the stop start is working fine. I'm I correct that battery is covered under the 3/36K warrenty? I usually get 4 plus years out of a battery and the truck is only 2.5 years old.
It’s covered under the 3/36

Adkram

Reaction score
My Limited ate its battery in about 35,000 miles. I thought I had a parasitic drain but replaced it and ....just fine since. BEWARE though when you replace the battery your truck will temporarily lose a lot of its features like surround cam, passenger heated and cooled seats, even the settings functions for stuff like putting it in tire jack mode or brake service mode will go away. Comes back on its own but takes up to a day.

Adkram

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, did anyone with a failed battery or no start condition ever see a Battery Saver On indicator or message, or Battery Charge indicator illuminated in the cluster sometime before failure?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044409 miles.
NEVER saw this. It clearly worked - when I jumped the vehicle to get it running the dash was lit up like a christmas tree with all the safety gizmos turned off.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
My Limited ate its battery in about 35,000 miles. I thought I had a parasitic drain but replaced it and ....just fine since. BEWARE though when you replace the battery your truck will temporarily lose a lot of its features like surround cam, passenger heated and cooled seats, even the settings functions for stuff like putting it in tire jack mode or brake service mode will go away. Comes back on its own but takes up to a day.
When the battery places switch them out, they usually hook up your electronics to a secondary battery that saves settings. They did that for me when I had my Ford battery replaced and I didn’t lose anything.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer replaced mine under warrenty but now the check engine light is on, I thought it may go out ofter a few miles. Of coarse etorque is not running with the check engine light on.

Golferdawg17

Reaction score
How about ANC (rumbling at about 1400 RPMs when in eco mode), might have to load up back seat to make it happen. LOL also. I brought my truck in for an issue and put them all together. Unfortunately my service does not read the 5th Gen Forum and I need to give them the Technical Service Bulletin. Not the first time dealing with service issues (not Ram specific). The way of the world today. Perhaps just too much information in the world today.
Many thanks to all contributors for the "education", I think I should be getting college credits for all the reading and studying.
I have also noticed the rumbling while in eco mode, and it's becoming more and more annoying. I had the technicians at the dealership look into it when I brought my truck in for 1st service, and they said it was a known issue (but that a TSB for reprogramming would fix it). Has anyone else been told this, and, if so, how long ago? I'm curious as to how long I'm going to have to wait for this "fix."

Jako

Reaction score
I have also noticed the rumbling while in eco mode, and it's becoming more and more annoying. I had the technicians at the dealership look into it when I brought my truck in for 1st service, and they said it was a known issue (but that a TSB for reprogramming would fix it). Has anyone else been told this, and, if so, how long ago? I'm curious as to how long I'm going to have to wait for this "fix."
I had TSB done and the drone is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread