5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check all that apply to your Trucks Build Sheet

• eTorque

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • AGM Battery

Votes: 59 23.6%
  • Lead Acid Battery

Votes: 132 52.8%
  • non eTorque

Votes: 102 40.8%

• Total voters

ddenton369

Reaction score
Since some of our forum members are reporting issues with dead batteries.

Let's see if we can narrow down which truck configurations are reporting the most issues:

If you have had a dead battery in your truck since purchasing a 2019-2021 RAM Truck.
Hey gang. I'm replying because I feel my experience is relevant even though not 19-21 model year. Mine is a 2022 Laramie crew 4x4. I've had a complete failure on a 2+ hour long drive. Needed tow-in to dealer service. Frustrating that it took 4 days to fully recharge (restore?) the original battery and then techs could not duplicate the condition SO I GOT IT BACK IN THE SAME CONDITION IT FAILED IN.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey gang. I'm replying because I feel my experience is relevant even though not 19-21 model year. Mine is a 2022 Laramie crew 4x4. I've had a complete failure on a 2+ hour long drive. Needed tow-in to dealer service. Frustrating that it took 4 days to fully recharge (restore?) the original battery and then techs could not duplicate the condition SO I GOT IT BACK IN THE SAME CONDITION IT FAILED IN.
Hello ddenton369,

We're terribly sorry to hear about this. If you'd like some assistance while your vehicle is at the dealer, please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

ktl5005

Reaction score
If it fails while driving, that sounds like a bad alternator not charging it should look at the alternator as the issue.

MrB

Reaction score
Well, I finally moved from the "thank god I don't have this problem" to the "oh god I have this problem". My 2021 5.7 eTorque Limited 1500 had been issue free for 26,862 miles until I tried to return from an errand last week and the truck wouldn't start (dashboard lights going nuts, start button doing nada). Volt meter said 10v, which seemed odd because it had been running fine and was sitting less than 30 minutes since I parked it. Jump start got it going, battery monitor indicated 13.9v while driving. All was fine for 4 starts over the next 3 days then same problem. Put the battery on the charger for hours, still wouldn't start. A few hours later it started right up. I stopped and started multiple times trying to get it to fail and it wouldn't. Brought the battery to AutoZone, they said the battery was "better than good". The next day, the truck wouldn't start again. Brought it to the dealer and they had to jump start it to move it out of the service area entrance. But then they could not reproduce the issue. Truck has been there 3 days and they are all still scratching their heads. All they could tell me so far is the the battery is fine and they cannot find any drain.

UPDATE: Today is day 8 in the shop and all my service manager can say is "So the vehicle seems to have an intermittent draw. They are trying to find where it is coming from still. This is probably going to be an in-depth lengthy process". What's worse is they won't give me a loaner. And although I have a 2021, well within the lemon law time period, the lemon law is limited to 24k miles and my 26k miles apparently means they can take their sweet time with no obligation to give me a loaner. So that's how much Ram cares for customers buying their new $65k trucks. I had to rent a u-haul this weekend to get my work done. sigh.

FINAL UPDATE: After 11 days in the shop they finally called me to come get it. They said the problem was an intermittent 1.7ma drain in the PCM which made no sense at all because a 1.7ma drain would not have caused my crazy dead battery symptoms. So the "fix" was to fix a loose connector. Funny thing though they also replaced my battery. Personally I believe the battery they put in these things is flawed and RAM doesn't fess up to it because most people seem to be just buying a new battery on their own so it's much cheaper for RAM to keep silent and just replace the battery for the few complainers. And if I would have known my truck would sit in the shop for 11 days I would have done the same.

Last edited:

2020RAMLTD5.7

Reaction score
Perhaps he meant to use "mode".

2 years mine died.
My 20' 1500 5.7 Ltd with Etorque for first time wouldn't start this morning. Used my jump starter pack & she fired right up. Arrive at work, shut her off & immediately she's not starting again🤬🤬. I don't have all day to wait at the dealer tomorrow for them 2 replace battery. Frustrating.

ktl5005

Reaction score
My 20' 1500 5.7 Ltd with Etorque for first time wouldn't start this morning. Used my jump starter pack & she fired right up. Arrive at work, shut her off & immediately she's not starting again🤬🤬. I don't have all day to wait at the dealer tomorrow for them 2 replace battery. Frustrating.
Dealer? Any auto shop and auto store can. I went to Autzone and got a bigger battery with more cold cranking amps. Duralast Platinum.

MrBuhl

Reaction score
2019 5.7 etorque 4x4 with 85k miles (new to me), went out this morning and failed to start. Just clicking with lights and power accessories working. Jumped and started immediately. Drove for 20 min or so, shut off and started again fine but the CEL is on. Called dealer and have service appointment Monday but wondering if I should just go get a new battery?

MrBuhl

Reaction score
Update, just discovered on the hot side battery terminal a stout copper connector and cable had broken loose from connector on terminal. Reconnected to terminal end with a good crimp, and back to hot side terminal. Waiting 30min or so to let systems get power back then I'm going to try again. Will update with results.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
2019 5.7 etorque 4x4 with 85k miles (new to me), went out this morning and failed to start. Just clicking with lights and power accessories working. Jumped and started immediately. Drove for 20 min or so, shut off and started again fine but the CEL is on. Called dealer and have service appointment Monday but wondering if I should just go get a new battery?
If it is the original battery it is time to replace it

MrBuhl

Reaction score
If it is the original battery it is time to replace it
Original FCA equipment when I went and looked.

Just picked up an H7 AGM battery and replaced the OEM one, starts fine now, the check engine light went out with a 15 min drive.

Still missing passenger heated seat controls, Sirius XM (wasn't signed up anyway) and backup cam. I have the big screen, am I correct in thinking the lyrics will eventually reload from the computer?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Original FCA equipment when I went and looked.

Just picked up an H7 AGM battery and replaced the OEM one, starts fine now, the check engine light went out with a 15 min drive.

Still missing passenger heated seat controls, Sirius XM (wasn't signed up anyway) and backup cam. I have the big screen, am I correct in thinking the lyrics will eventually reload from the computer?
Those should come back in about 24 hours

howster

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie. If it sits idle for 3-5 days the battery is completely dead. Parasitic draw on the battery is 114mA after the truck sleeps. I had AAA out to test the battery and jump the truck and they said battery was fine, not in need of replacement, and just to recharge it by running engine for 45 mins. It's a 3 year old Magneti Marelli Mopar battery that came with the truck new. Wondering is it worth buying a $250 AGM battery and whether the parasitic draw will just kill it too. Parasitic draw should be about 50-85mA I believe so am double that. No lights/switches on in interior to justify the excess draw. When dead the battery returns a voltage of about 5.7V and returns to about 13V after running truck for 30 mins. Seems to charge up quick. Issue started about 6 months ago. Have to run truck every other day for 15 mins to be startable. Living in MA.so cold temps now. Scenario seems illogical. Is it/is it not a bad battery? Who/what/where to believe? Will switch out fuses today and get a new battery I guess , AGM came recommended, if the draw doesn't reduce to 50-85mA. Thanks

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie. If it sits idle for 3-5 days the battery is completely dead. Parasitic draw on the battery is 114mA after the truck sleeps. I had AAA out to test the battery and jump the truck and they said battery was fine, not in need of replacement, and just to recharge it by running engine for 45 mins. It's a 3 year old Magneti Marelli Mopar battery that came with the truck new. Wondering is it worth buying a $250 AGM battery and whether the parasitic draw will just kill it too. Parasitic draw should be about 50-85mA I believe so am double that. No lights/switches on in interior to justify the excess draw. When dead the battery returns a voltage of about 5.7V and returns to about 13V after running truck for 30 mins. Seems to charge up quick. Issue started about 6 months ago. Have to run truck every other day for 15 mins to be startable. Living in MA.so cold temps now. Scenario seems illogical. Is it/is it not a bad battery? Who/what/where to believe? Will switch out fuses today and get a new battery I guess , AGM came recommended, if the draw doesn't reduce to 50-85mA. Thanks
Lol i could live with a 3 year battery life span.
The original oem only lasted 1.5 years on mine. Replaced under warraty a few months back. I also suspect a parasitic draw but the dealer i am sure didn't look into that and just replace it

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

If you're experiencing a drain on your battery and decide to get this diagnosed by your local dealer, please reach out to us. We'd love to get you and your dealer some additional assistance. We're available via direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

LarryK1500

Reaction score
Just ran across this thread, but a year ago, my 2021 Bighorn battery went dead. Turned out I had my radar detector plugged in to the 12 Volt outlet on the dash, and the outlet was configured for always on. Since changed to engine on only. I was just surprised as to how quickly (a couple of days) that the radar detector ran the battery down.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was at Walmart last weekend. Everstart Platinum AGM H7 is $169.
At Costco they also have the InterState AGM H7 or H8 for $189.

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
Just ran across this thread, but a year ago, my 2021 Bighorn battery went dead. Turned out I had my radar detector plugged in to the 12 Volt outlet on the dash, and the outlet was configured for always on. Since changed to engine on only. I was just surprised as to how quickly (a couple of days) that the radar detector ran the battery down.
My 2022 Laramie is configured the same way. Always on. How did you change it to engine only?

Users who are viewing this thread