5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check all that apply to your Trucks Build Sheet

• eTorque

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • AGM Battery

Votes: 59 23.6%
  • Lead Acid Battery

Votes: 132 52.8%
  • non eTorque

Votes: 102 40.8%

• Total voters

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
with all those electronic that drives and monitor the truck performance.its no wonder. quite a bit load for our trucks on a "acid lead"H7 bat. i guess it to save on cost$$$
Yes, but this thing is supposed to stand down, then go to sleep after X amount of minutes and only draw about 50 mA max.
I left the truck sitting on the drive-way for a full month while I was in Finland, got back and it started right up.
Me thinks a software glitch, could be wrong...

doolin64

Reaction score
5.7 with eTorque. 16k miles 15 months old. No issues starting our running leading up this. Went to remote start my truck this morning and it was dead. Opened the door and no one was home. Running boards didn't power down, nothing on the dash. I guess I'm used to weak batteries in the past where you still have some juice, just not enough to turn over.

My little jump pack turned it over it, but it coughed/sputtered and died. I have the battery on a charger now. I have a Tazer on my truck but that has been on for 10k miles without issue.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5.7 with eTorque. 16k miles 15 months old. No issues starting our running leading up this. Went to remote start my truck this morning and it was dead. Opened the door and no one was home. Running boards didn't power down, nothing on the dash. I guess I'm used to weak batteries in the past where you still have some juice, just not enough to turn over.

My little jump pack turned it over it, but it coughed/sputtered and died. I have the battery on a charger now. I have a Tazer on my truck but that has been on for 10k miles without issue.
Reading the thread on dealer installed GPS trackers, and one contributor mentioned that it might be the reason for some dead batteries. Makes sense to check and see if you have one installed and don't know it. The added draw might be the culprit.

doolin64

Reaction score
I didn't purchase or pay for any dealer addons at time of purchase. I just checked and it does not appear I have a gps tracker.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't purchase or pay for any dealer addons at time of purchase. I just checked and it does not appear I have a gps tracker.
Several posters in the tracker threads didn't purchase either, but they had them none the less. Good to check just in case and with one poster having other problems from a bad one, who knows whether it is a battery drainer or not.

smashweights

Reaction score

Did you get it to start? Check the voltage on the dash when it's running. If it's not around 14V there's a known issue with eTorque battery going into a protect mode with voltage issues like a dead battery and it won't release any power from the ET battery and charge the 12V starting battery. You'll see low voltage while running, like 12v and under on dash. Needs a BPCM flash to fix.

doolin64

Reaction score
Did you get it to start? Check the voltage on the dash when it's running. If it's not around 14V there's a known issue with eTorque battery going into a protect mode with voltage issues like a dead battery and it won't release any power from the ET battery and charge the 12V starting battery. You'll see low voltage while running, like 12v and under on dash. Needs a BPCM flash to fix.
My jumpbox wasn't powerful enough and I couldn't get it to take a charge off my battery tender after 4 hours. When the tow truck showed up, we jumped it off his truck. While running it was sitting at 13.3-13.4v. My dash was little up with a check engine and start stop issue. My radio had no XM and I couldnt control the HVAC. I drove it to the dealer but it did not feel right. Steering was stiffer and it felt almost as if it was in 4wd. It definitely wouldn't shift into 8th. Verified by my rpms. Unfortunately my evic wouldn't allow me to show what gear I was in.

V6 Warlock as a rental for the next day or two.

Attachments

• PXL_20220125_210201574.jpg
    PXL_20220125_210201574.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20220125_232416681.jpg
    PXL_20220125_232416681.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 26

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My jumpbox wasn't powerful enough and I couldn't get it to take a charge off my battery tender after 4 hours. When the tow truck showed up, we jumped it off his truck. While running it was sitting at 13.3-13.4v. My dash was little up with a check engine and start stop issue. My radio had no XM and I couldnt control the HVAC. I drove it to the dealer but it did not feel right. Steering was stiffer and it felt almost as if it was in 4wd. It definitely wouldn't shift into 8th. Verified by my rpms. Unfortunately my evic wouldn't allow me to show what gear I was in.

V6 Warlock as a rental for the next day or two.
thats the issue i had when i took it to a dealership.they recharge my battery.but said for some reason they couldnt get it up to where it suppose to be...its all i needed to hear🤨..so it is the battery.eventually they gave me a new one.but it failed over time also.even had trouble with my radio(XM) .even remote start would not work. while it was running the highest i could get was 12.9?. new battery H8 AGM no issues anymore

Attachments

• 20210617_140304.jpg
    20210617_140304.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_1876_InPixio.jpg
    100_1876_InPixio.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20211028_170144.jpg
    20211028_170144.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 38

Grunkster

Reaction score
just found this...19 laramie purchased 11/18...25k miles non etorque...on 3rd MN winter currently at 38months since purchase...was -20F this am outside temp not windchill and truck fired right up...writing this will probably jinx me lol....oh well i've a new interstate H8 AGM sitting at home waiting....

Zplott

Reaction score
2021 1500 Laramie Sport 1950 miles battery dies every night. Messed up my nav. And info screens.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
thats the issue i had when i took it to a dealership.they recharge my battery.but said for some reason they couldnt get it up to where it suppose to be...its all i needed to hear🤨..so it is the battery.eventually they gave me a new one.but it failed over time also.even had trouble with my radio(XM) .even remote start would not work. while it was running the highest i could get was 12.9?. new battery H8 AGM no issues anymore
yup as soon as mine dies getting the H8 AGM also!! not even going to deal with the dealer, not worth it

where did you get that cool usb into the plug with voltage?

Last edited:

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yup as soon as mine dies getting the H8 AGM also!! not even going to deal with teh dealer, not worth it

where did you get that cool usb into the plug with voltage?
hey brother 😁 ..oh as for that voltage meter...Wow just about any where really(Pepboys,Napa,ebay/amazone,etc)

ronmac7609

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 non-etorque. 38,000 had some power but would not turn over. Booster pack used and started. We shall see what happens after work today. Been cold out, no issues previously and used every day.

Sportznut

Reaction score
3yr & 42k miles on my 2019. Battery died twice in a week. Jumped with battery pack.
Took to shop, they said battery was good but I bought an H8 AGM anyhow.

Only been a few days but appears to done the trick.

I no longer leave phone charger plugged in the USB.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ronmac7609

Reaction score
Put in a new battery yesterday after it wouldn't turn over - a second time in the morning. Brand new battery and again overnight, power but not enough to turn over about 12 V or just under. Had to jump it again. Dealer can't get me in until Thursday and it's a Saturday.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put in a new battery yesterday after it wouldn't turn over - a second time in the morning. Brand new battery and again overnight, power but not enough to turn over about 12 V or just under. Had to jump it again. Dealer can't get me in until Thursday and it's a Saturday.
following

Ramster1950

Reaction score
2020 Rebel ecodiesel. 12 mo and 22k kms. parked for a week - dead, couldn't jump with boat battery or wife's MB SUV. left on charger, no luck. boosted by tow truck - no luck. towed to dealer. confirmed battery discharged but no fault found. tested for current draw with and without dash cam plugged in - both negative. was advised to d/c cam if parking for extended time. declined warranty coverage. today at 16 mo and 30k - has been parked for 8 days, dead. did not d/c dash cam. on charger now. am thinking needs H8 AGM.

update - after 5 hr on the 6 amp charger it started. whew!

Last edited:

Sportznut

Reaction score
3yr & 42k miles on my 2019. Battery died twice in a week. Jumped with battery pack.
Took to shop, they said battery was good but I bought an H8 AGM anyhow.

Only been a few days but appears to done the trick.

I no longer leave phone charger plugged in the USB.

Ok. It has been a week and all is good (knock on wood).
Looks like the upgrade to an H8 AGM /900 CCA was the solution.

ronmac7609

Reaction score
following
We
Dealer tested battery and found nothing. Surprise. It’s a new battery. Wouldn’t start again this morning. Sporadic. Usually in the mornings. Dash cluster had voltage at 11.7. Had to jump it with booster pack.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don`t want to jinx myself but the truck has been working fine for weeks now after installing a blue-tooth battery monitor.
I connected the gnd. lug to the fender ground,
it looked little oxidized so wiggled it around before tightening it back down. Had the gnd. checked under TSB couple years ago BTW.

I might have stumbled up on something...

Attachments

• Ground issues..jpg
    Ground issues..jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 108

Users who are viewing this thread