5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check all that apply to your Trucks Build Sheet

• eTorque

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • AGM Battery

Votes: 59 23.6%
  • Lead Acid Battery

Votes: 132 52.8%
  • non eTorque

Votes: 102 40.8%

• Total voters

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With all of your accessories I think you should consider adding a dual battery setup.
i know what you are saying.but this battery is so amazing.it still keep a good charge.check out the voltage under load😲

Attachments

• 20211028_170144.jpg
    20211028_170144.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 50

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i know what you are saying.but this battery is so amazing.it still keep a good charge.check out the voltage under load😲
14.6 V is pretty normal battery voltage when you first crank up.

The alternator or generator will do a bulk load on the battery. (Usually last about 15-30 minutes)

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
14.6 V is pretty normal battery voltage when you first crank up.

The alternator or generator will do a bulk load on the battery. (Usually last about 15-30 minutes)
yes it does.it fluxgate between14.60 to 14,30 or 14.20 back and forth.but its still better than what i use to get..13.20 or 12.90 (y)

Ddstsm

Reaction score
Since some of our forum members are reporting issues with dead batteries.

Let's see if we can narrow down which truck configurations are reporting the most issues:

If you have had a dead battery in your truck since purchasing a 2019-2021 RAM Truck.
2021 Ram 5.7 ETorque 36500 miles. Just had no start issue yesterday. Dash lit up but just made a couple random clicks with start attempt. Took voltage reading at battery, 12.25 VDC. Quick jump from other car was all it took. Drove fine couple more times yesterday. Same thing happened again this morning. Measured 12.12 VDC. Going to buy beefier battery tomorrow.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2021 😮 you would think by now that "Stellantis"would wise up and stop using those inept or anemic size batteries:mad::mad:

Attachments

• 20210619_132041.jpg
    20210619_132041.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 61

RaptorHD

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 2500HD with a Cummins, I have this same issue.. Using an ammeter, I have a 2.7 amp draw.. This would not be an issue really if I drove the truck every day. I have 2 alternators and they would make short work of a recharge. I have isolated all the fuses--no change is the Draw, troubleshooting continues...

On another note, the OEM batteries are fine, do not believe that one battery is really better than another, lead acid batteries are lead acid batteries, the chemical reaction is the same.. What does matter is the materials used. when the last LEAD smelter was shut down by President Obama, the lead used is now recycled so the purity is far inferior to virgin lead... Try to find batteries that use the best "ingredients" for lack of better words.. It would seem the batteries made by Johnson controls seem to be better, this is due to the manufacturing process and what they put in it..
This is why you won't find too many batteries with a warranty of more than 3 years.. Remember when the diehards had a 10 yr warranty?

Last edited:

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Update:

I pulled every fuse and relay, still have draw---WTF? I am thinking though that the CPU is getting straight power, maybe for memory which kinda makes sense if it uses volatile memory---sort of..

Now, the main wire to the fuse block pulls 1,9 amps,,holding the meter on there though, the amp draw will drop down to .7 amps which is acceptable.
The biggest deal is the main wire going to the aux PDC, which is not used yet it has a solid 1 amp draw. The Aux PDC has 3 relays and three fuses--I pulled them all, now there is no draw.
I am a bit confused given that this extra block is not used... I have a new harness I am going to install that will allow me to add the 6 push button aux switches. I am hoping that the new harness will bring some light to why this is..

More to follow......

Reactions: c3k

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Since some of our forum members are reporting issues with dead batteries.

Let's see if we can narrow down which truck configurations are reporting the most issues:

If you have had a dead battery in your truck since purchasing a 2019-2021 RAM Truck.
I just traded/purchased a 2019 Laramie Sport with just under 50,000 kms on it. Was having an issue with running boards (in -30c weather, they’re not a fan) and the driver’s side did not retract more than half way. I thought that I could still hear some motor sound but wasn’t exactly sure. I went in and figured that I’d sort it in the morning. My truck was so dead the next day I couldn’t get in without a key - and the lock was froooooozen solid. Managed to get in and had roadside come and boost it. It dropped the rpm on the guy’s car by around half when the cables went on. Dealership replaced it, motor for the sidestep is on back order.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just traded/purchased a 2019 Laramie Sport with just under 50,000 kms on it. Was having an issue with running boards (in -30c weather, they’re not a fan) and the driver’s side did not retract more than half way. I thought that I could still hear some motor sound but wasn’t exactly sure. I went in and figured that I’d sort it in the morning. My truck was so dead the next day I couldn’t get in without a key - and the lock was froooooozen solid. Managed to get in and had roadside come and boost it. It dropped the rpm on the guy’s car by around half when the cables went on. Dealership replaced it, motor for the sidestep is on back order.
my did the same except it was in the summer.got a new battery and it died again.its your truck you do what you want.but those stock batteries are not efficient for our trucks.....

zlman

Reaction score
Dealer replaced my battery at 6 months old. That replacement died once a yr later. I bought an Interstate AGM, larger size, more capacity, it just fits in the factory tray. We'll see if this one does better.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
my did the same except it was in the summer.got a new battery and it died again.its your truck you do what you want.but those stock batteries are not efficient for our trucks.....

I figure that I’ll use the new factory one till it’s toast, I doubt they’ll keep replacing under warranty. Around here I need 900, which is what I put into my 14 - I would’ve kept my old (new) one if I had known. Thanks for your reply 🤚🏼
[/QUOTE]

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback I have suspected that faulty powered running boards were one of the culprits for the power drain.

Bradykar

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Limited. ~50,000 miles. dead battery. took a jump. next morning dead battery. put on charger for two hours, went to advance auto. turned off truck. opened door. and then restarted truck with out issues. they tested battery 3 times in 20 minutes. said good battery. tried to start to leave and dead battery, needed jumped to start. took to local dealer, no issues with starting or moving vehicle around. they tested battery and said it was good. I told them to just replace it. Yesterday, ran truck for 30 minutes around town. Today, 3 inch snow fall, truck say about 15 hours, tried to start and dead battery. Had to jump new battery with other vehicle. Not sure if its the auto leveling of the weight of the snow on the tonneau cover pushing the bed down engaging the auto leveling or just some random draw. Another appointment scheduled for the dealership..

Not a running board issue. Power to dash, touch screen has power, but not enough power to turn truck over. Dealership said alternator and starter were good.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Limited. ~50,000 miles. dead battery. took a jump. next morning dead battery. put on charger for two hours, went to advance auto. turned off truck. opened door. and then restarted truck with out issues. they tested battery 3 times in 20 minutes. said good battery. tried to start to leave and dead battery, needed jumped to start. took to local dealer, no issues with starting or moving vehicle around. they tested battery and said it was good. I told them to just replace it. Yesterday, ran truck for 30 minutes around town. Today, 3 inch snow fall, truck say about 15 hours, tried to start and dead battery. Had to jump new battery with other vehicle. Not sure if its the auto leveling of the weight of the snow on the tonneau cover pushing the bed down engaging the auto leveling or just some random draw. Another appointment scheduled for the dealership..

Not a running board issue. Power to dash, touch screen has power, but not enough power to turn truck over. Dealership said alternator and starter were good.
do you have etorque?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Sounds like my truck.

12-27-2021
Replaced battery due to poor cranking while down in Florida, cluster indicated 8 VDC, just turned 50k miles.
All good for several days.

1-7-2022
Went to take wife to the airport, dead battery, jump started.

1-8-2022
Started fine in the morning.
Proceeded to put it in entry/exit, taking off the RTT rack.
Go and have lunch, come back out and the front suspension has raised to normal ride height, what the !!!

1-9-2022 09:30 AM.
Dead battery 5.85 VDC, parasitic draw 3 amps peak, 1.4 amps average.
Charge battery, good to go.

1-14-2022
Roofers show up, go to move the truck to the street, starts fine 07:30 AM. 2 1/2 hours later will not turn over, jump started.
Decided to connect an external power supply to help with trouble shooting.

1-15-2022
Things are going downhill, deteriorated to drawing steady 1.4 amps, then ramping up to 3.4 to 5.5 to 6+ amps and then dropping back down to 1.4 amps for couple minutes before repeating the cycle.

1-16-2022 08:30 AM.
Now pulling steady 3.8 to 4.0 amps, occasionally jumping to 17 amps. (I have the battery disconnected and am powering the truck with a B&K Precision 1790 20 amp P.S.)

Between 17th, 18th and 19th, this thing is doing weird stuff while sitting parked. I get up in the morning and the front-end is down to entry/exit while back stays in normal, relays in the suspension control module click randomly, compressor does not come on. Confirmed that the 1.4 amps is being drawn by the internal PDC.

1-20-2022
After 3 days of pulling fuses and scratching my head, everything is back to normal!
Measuring about 100mA after all the modules shut down, have couple indicator LED`s active so I consider that number to be OK.

1-24-2022
Still working fine.
I did pull four codes, 3 had to do with voltage below threshold and one was with abnormal amount of cycles with air suspension relay or something to that effect.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like my truck.

12-27-2021
Replaced battery due to poor cranking while down in Florida, cluster indicated 8 VDC, just turned 50k miles.
All good for several days.

1-7-2022
Went to take wife to the airport, dead battery, jump started.

1-8-2022
Started fine in the morning.
Proceeded to put it in entry/exit, taking off the RTT rack.
Go and have lunch, come back out and the front suspension has raised to normal ride height, what the !!!

1-9-2022 09:30 AM.
Dead battery 5.85 VDC, parasitic draw 3 amps peak, 1.4 amps average.
Charge battery, good to go.

1-14-2022
Roofers show up, go to move the truck to the street, starts fine 07:30 AM. 2 1/2 hours later will not turn over, jump started.
Decided to connect an external power supply to help with trouble shooting.

1-15-2022
Things are going downhill, deteriorated to drawing steady 1.4 amps, then ramping up to 3.4 to 5.5 to 6+ amps and then dropping back down to 1.4 amps for couple minutes before repeating the cycle.

1-16-2022 08:30 AM.
Now pulling steady 3.8 to 4.0 amps, occasionally jumping to 17 amps. (I have the battery disconnected and am powering the truck with a B&K Precision 1790 20 amp P.S.)

Between 17th, 18th and 19th, this thing is doing weird stuff while sitting parked. I get up in the morning and the front-end is down to entry/exit while back stays in normal, relays in the suspension control module click randomly, compressor does not come on. Confirmed that the 1.4 amps is being drawn by the internal PDC.

1-20-2022
After 3 days of pulling fuses and scratching my head, everything is back to normal!
Measuring about 100mA after all the modules shut down, have couple indicator LED`s active so I consider that number to be OK.

1-24-2022
Still working fine.
I did pull four codes, 3 had to do with voltage below threshold and one was with abnormal amount of cycles with air suspension relay or something to that effect.
with all those electronic that drives and monitor the truck performance.its no wonder. quite a bit load for our trucks on a "acid lead"H7 bat. i guess it to save on cost$$$

Users who are viewing this thread