5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead battery? And other issues

smashweights

Reaction score
Going through a drive through today I shut the truck off completely as it was indoor and they usually take 5-8 minutes for food. Had it in ON for music and air flow. After I got my food the truck would not start. So the electrical systems worked fine. Dash was showing battery voltage at 11.0V when it wouldn't start. Truck is a 2019 with just under 30k. It's had a few times where I hit to start and it just cycles to ON without attempting to start randomly over the last year but never like this. Is it odd for the battery to be shot already? Why in earth would a hybrid truck with a big lithium battery not be able to use that to keep it charged or crank the engine?

Battery charger shows basically dead. Started up fine next time but voltage was reading 11.3V while running...

Also, I couldn't shift the truck into neutral as I was going to try to push it out of the drive through to jump it. Is there a trick? I had it in ON and depressed the brake but couldn't shift it...

Attachments

• PXL_20211023_004135717.jpg
    PXL_20211023_004135717.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
There's an emergency parking pawl release behind little access panel in lower LH knee bolster on driver's side

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Going through a drive through today I shut the truck off completely as it was indoor and they usually take 5-8 minutes for food. Had it in ON for music and air flow. After I got my food the truck would not start. So the electrical systems worked fine. Dash was showing battery voltage at 11.0V when it wouldn't start. Truck is a 2019 with just under 30k. It's had a few times where I hit to start and it just cycles to ON without attempting to start randomly over the last year but never like this. Is it odd for the battery to be shot already? Why in earth would a hybrid truck with a big lithium battery not be able to use that to keep it charged or crank the engine?

Also, I couldn't shift the truck into neutral as I was going to try to push it out of the drive through to jump it. Is there a trick? I had it in ON and depressed the brake but couldn't shift it...
It’s odd to me but there’s been people on here that have said their batteries were shot before 1 year .

photog0611

Reaction score
Sounds like your battery needs to be replaced. If you are only drawing 11v the control module will go crazy and truck won't start. And when you jump the truck every warning light will be flashing. My truck did the same after I had it for 3 weeks. After battery replacement (under warranty) there have been no problems.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

smashweights

Reaction score
Sounds like your battery needs to be replaced. If you are only drawing 11v the control module will go crazy and truck won't start. And when you jump the truck every warning light will be flashing. My truck did the same after I had it for 3 weeks. After battery replacement (under warranty) there have been no problems.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
How'd they cover that under warranty?

smashweights

Reaction score
Really? Battery falls under that? Might have to take mine in then... Edit, looked at the warranty book and looks like it should be under the 3/36. Thanks!

Sadly, it needs to go in anyway to get the passenger power mirror replaced since the motor is going bad just like the driver side...

Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How log did the truck sit on the lot before you bought it?
Was the battery drained during shipping and ruined? They'd just jump it and move on. Same with the dealer.
Too many unknowns to say the battery only lasts x amount of time.

The factory battery in my previous truck lasted 7 years. The battery in my Z06 lasted 5. Both vehicles replacement batteries lasted less than 2 years; sears, optima red top, intestate, delco

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We had it happen to the 2020 Laramie in the family three weeks ago. The Ram was towed to the dealer, they replaced the battery under warranty after having it for two days, and all seemed good. Well, the new battery was dead again yesterday morning so I went out and purchased an Interstate AGM H8 battery as many have recommended on this forum. I’m done with cheap Mopar batteries and would rather pay for a quality battery than keep replacing inferior ones.

Last edited:

smashweights

Reaction score
How log did the truck sit on the lot before you bought it?
Was the battery drained during shipping and ruined? They'd just jump it and move on. Same with the dealer.
Too many unknowns to say the battery only lasts x amount of time.
Who knows. It was used 1 year and 10k before I got it. Drive it about daily about 10-12 miles. Had just driven about 8 miles home, grabbed the kids, went to get tacos, had it shut off in ON mode for like 3 minutes then no start, got jumped by an older Sierra

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is perfectly plausible that some trucks, but not nearly all, are getting batteries that barely passed quality testing. The price pressure that the OEM's put on suppliers is unreal, so the only compromise that can be made is quality. Using cheap, less pure metals and chemicals can easily manifest in batteries that will only last a few weeks, months, etc. I'm lucky so far I guess. BTW, guess who pays for those warrantied batteries?

I've spent my career in supplying both the automotive and commercial vehicle markets. I have way too much experience in dealing with this crap.

smashweights

Reaction score
So looking at the warranty book, it should be covered under the 3/36 basic warranty. Can I go get an aftermarket battery and get reimbursed at least partially or do I have to use the dealership and get an OEM battery?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So looking at the warranty book, it should be covered under the 3/36 basic warranty. Can I go get an aftermarket battery and get reimbursed at least partially or do I have to use the dealership and get an OEM battery?
Dealer will replace junk with junk. Buy an Interstate AGM H8 or equivalent and ensure it does not say MOPAR on the side, top or bottom! 😉

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Really? Battery falls under that? Might have to take mine in then... Edit, looked at the warranty book and looks like it should be under the 3/36. Thanks!

Sadly, it needs to go in anyway to get the passenger power mirror replaced since the motor is going bad just like the driver side...
As others have said, It’s not worth the headache getting another OEM battery that will prematurely fail again.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
get the everstart maxx from walmart 3 year replacement, 5 year prorated, wont have to deal with the dealer. Anytime a battery gets around 3 years old here, its going to die suddenly at teh worse time and place

Users who are viewing this thread