5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead battery? And other issues

smashweights

Reaction score
Well that went poorly, left it on the charger for 24 hours and the truck basically shut off on me while driving to go get a battery. Thankfully was in a parking lot. Put a new Optima DH7 Yellow top in. Runs fine but all my systems are wonky now.
- AC won't run
- no cameras
- battery voltage is showing 11.9V and red still. Battery is brand new 5/21 manufacturing sticker. Does it just take time to read out or is there something worse going on that's just a battery?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well that went poorly, left it on the charger for 24 hours and the truck basically shut off on me while driving to go get a battery. Thankfully was in a parking lot. Put a new Optima DH7 Yellow top in. Runs fine but all my systems are wonky now.
- AC won't run
- no cameras
- battery voltage is showing 11.9V and red still. Battery is brand new 5/21 manufacturing sticker. Does it just take time to read out or is there something worse going on that's just a battery?
It takes some time.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
- AC won't run
- no cameras
It is normal. Give it a day with the new battery installed so you Ram can perform its internal calibration checks and all will be back to normal. You made a good decision to replace the battery.

smashweights

Reaction score
It is normal. Give it a day with the new battery installed so you Ram can perform its internal calibration checks and all will be back to normal. You made a good decision to replace the battery.
Didn't have a choice. I only made it about a mile and 10 minutes before the truck forced itself into neutral and wouldn't recover. Battery was reading 9.5V at the time. Wife brought me some wrenches and pulled the battery then drove out to advance to get it. Pardon my ignorance but I thought once the truck started the engine could generate enough power to at least keep everything going...

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn't have a choice. I only made it about a mile and 10 minutes before the truck forced itself into neutral and wouldn't recover. Battery was reading 9.5V at the time. Wife brought me some wrenches and pulled the battery then drove out to advance to get it. Pardon my ignorance but I thought once the truck started the engine could generate enough power to at least keep everything going...
Not with our Laramie eTorque it couldn’t - battery under the hood was shot and even jumped it couldn’t stay running. We had one dead cell (we later found out from the dealer) and it wouldn’t keep running. Had to have it towed on a flatbed to the dealer. I believe - I could be wrong - it is the difference between having an alternator to charge the battery once the engine gets started versus a motor (eTorque motor).

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
- AC won't run
- no cameras
Voltage should read correctly right away, the rest of the systems will slowly come back on line

smashweights

Reaction score
The rest of the systems are back online. Battery voltage on the dash continues to read 11.8-12.2V even when driving and after leaving the battery charger on all night...

Jako

Reaction score
I didn't get 2 years out of my battery. Failed when I was out of state for work.
You are officially part of the "Two Year Dead Battery RAM DT Club". I became a member when my 2019 would not come out of 1st gear, did come back after sitting though and no problems since battery replacement.

smashweights

Reaction score
I don't get it, showing 11.6V but starts like a champ and everything is running. After having the charger on all night was 12.2V and the charger read 75%. Drove it for the day, plugged back in later and charger reading 25%... Waiting on hold for dealership...

smashweights

Reaction score
Dealership appt Friday... Hopefully it survives til then. No loaners, the warranty folks made it sound like they can rental reimburse you up to $35/day on basic warranty, anyone have experience on this? It's getting a malfunctioning passenger power mirror looked at, which will definitely be a warranty issue since the driver side had the same problem

smashweights

Reaction score
Question, if it's showing 11.7-12.1V with the truck running does this mean the generator isn't charging the battery and it's running off the battery itself? A while back when I looked at that screen once it would show 13.9V

Am I potentially going to ruin this battery driving it?

Last edited:

smashweights

Reaction score
Finished the day at 11.3V there's no way this truck is charging like it should... 😭

Attachments

• PXL_20211025_223346591.jpg
    PXL_20211025_223346591.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 33

BowDown

Reaction score
Question, if it's showing 11.7-12.1V with the truck running does this mean the generator isn't charging the battery and it's running off the battery itself? A while back when I looked at that screen once it would show 13.9V

Am I potentially going to ruin this battery driving it?

Should be mid to high 13's when running.
Mine, etorque, is between 13.5 and 14.3 most days when running.
After a start-up it will be in the low 14s. After a few miles of driving it will drop to the 13's.

Your's sounds like it's charging but has a weak output. Probably a bad generator

smashweights

Reaction score
Should be mid to high 13's when running.
Mine, etorque, is between 13.5 and 14.3 most days when running.
After a start-up it will be in the low 14s. After a few miles of driving it will drop to the 13's.

Your's sounds like it's charging but has a weak output. Probably a bad generator
That's what I'm thinking unfortunately. It used to run around 14V when driving but yesterday started at 11.7V and dropped to 11.3V after 30 minutes. Gonna leave it on the charger and figure out a different way to get around till it gets looked at

smashweights

Reaction score
Wow! Amazingly FCA warranty team approved reimbursing me the full amount of the new Optima battery I got at Advance Auto Parts. I called the warranty dept, they opened a case, sent me an email requesting documents, sent them the receipt via photo last night, got an email that check for full amount is in the mail this morning!

My basic warranty coverage ends in two weeks

smashweights

Reaction score
Well after initial diagnostics apparently it's charging fine and they flashed the charging system but don't know why it's showing such low voltage while running. Also apparently this is "tires wearing evenly" so my confidence is not high.

Attachments

• PXL_20210906_141849848-1.jpg
    PXL_20210906_141849848-1.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 40

Users who are viewing this thread