5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CROSS PATH BRAKING IN REVERSE

JC Ramirez

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new here at the RAM WORLD. How do i deactivate the DARN annoying braking when backing up?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes, permanent off is in the radio, temp off is the switch just above the center console. Mine has slammed on for exhaust vapor before. It also saved me from backing into a concrete column in a parking garage (damn things are like camo being the same color as the walls). So I just leave mine on.

wvinson

Reaction score
My '22 Limited slams on the brakes about 10% of the time compared to the '19 I had. Maybe they changed the software or the sensitivity of the sensors, but what a relief. I can keep it on now.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine did it once when it saw itself in a window reflection. I turned it off after a few times that it should not be braking.

Malodave

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it's definitely annoying. not only do I have a sloped driveway but narrow as well. have to fold in the mirrors to fit. glad I have power mirrors.
but I still rather keep it turn on.

Dewey

Reaction score
I turned mine off when it slammed hard on the brakes while backing my boat in the driveway. I’m guessing when I was turning sharply it caught the side of the boat and thought it was a vehicle in the cross path. You would think with a trailer hooked up it would automatically know that and deactivate.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I'm okay with it slamming the brakes on when I have my tailgate down, if it saves me from doing something stupid. The brakes slam on, I reach up and turn off the rear sensors...easy.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I turned mine off when it slammed hard on the brakes while backing my boat in the driveway. I’m guessing when I was turning sharply it caught the side of the boat and thought it was a vehicle in the cross path. You would think with a trailer hooked up it would automatically know that and deactivate.
Haha! How would a sensor know? It's just a pickup not a Mars lander. 😄

Dewey

Reaction score
Haha! How would a sensor know? It's just a pickup not a Mars lander. 😄
My point was is whenever trailer lights are hooked up the truck knows a trailer is connected. In this case it should be programmed to default the cross pass detection to the off position since it’s pretty much useless with a 25 foot trailer behind the truck.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My point was is whenever trailer lights are hooked up the truck knows a trailer is connected. In this case it should be programmed to default the cross pass detection to the off position since it’s pretty much useless with a 25 foot trailer behind the truck.
If you are using the 4-way trailer connector, it doesn’t detect a trailer. Those are just light circuits, and the light circuits aren’t what determines if a trailer is attached. The brake feed on the 7-way trailer connector is what detects a trailer, because the brake feed on the trailer brake module senses a resistance. When a trailer is plugged into the 7-way connector, cross path detection is disabled, and the trailer length is detected.

Dewey

Reaction score
If you are using the 4-way trailer connector, it doesn’t detect a trailer. Those are just light circuits, and the light circuits aren’t what determines if a trailer is attached. The brake feed on the 7-way trailer connector is what detects a trailer, because the brake feed on the trailer brake module senses a resistance. When a trailer is plugged into the 7-way connector, cross path detection is disabled, and the trailer length is detected.
Makes sense but still confused why my truck slammed on the brakes in reverse with a trailer hooked up?
Guessing it was my rear parking sensors causing this which also should default to off when a trailer is hooked up…..correct?
Seems neither should be active with a trailer connected.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Makes sense but still confused why my truck slammed on the brakes in reverse with a trailer hooked up?
Guessing it was my rear parking sensors causing this which also should default to off when a trailer is hooked up…..correct?
Seems neither should be active with a trailer connected.
Correct, neither are active when a trailer with a brake feed is hooked up to the 7-way connector. You mentioned you were backing up a boat. Does the boat trailer use the 7-way connector, and does it have/use the electric brake feed via factory brake controller? Because boat trailers *usually* have surge brakes.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Just seems like it would be easy to outsmart the sensor and push the switch when backing up a trailer. I am just surprised a production line pickup prevents you from backing into things accidentally.

Dewey

Reaction score
Correct, neither are active when a trailer with a brake feed is hooked up to the 7-way connector. You mentioned you were backing up a boat. Does the boat trailer use the 7-way connector, and does it have/use the electric brake feed via factory brake controller? Because boat trailers *usually* have surge brakes.
Yes I am hooked up to the round 7 way connector. No trailer brakes since it’s only about 2000 lbs.

Dewey

Reaction score
There's the problem. No load on the brake feed so it doesn't "feel" the trailer.
So my question is how does my truck know that a trailer is hooked up to activate the Reverse Trailer Steering? Is that off the sensors in the rear tail lights? It calibrates the length of the trailer. You would think that would all communicate together.🤔

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So my question is how does my truck know that a trailer is hooked up to activate the Reverse Trailer Steering? Is that off the sensors in the rear tail lights? It calibrates the length of the trailer. You would think that would all communicate together.🤔
Trailer reverse steering is not associated with any of the trailer connectors or wiring. It uses the rear view camera to calibrate and function.

Dewey

Reaction score
Trailer reverse steering is not associated with any of the trailer connectors or wiring. It uses the rear view camera to calibrate and function.
Got it. All starting to make sense now. By process of elimination I think I found the culprit. No load on the brake feed so doesn’t know a trailer is hooked up. Turn off rear braking and rear park sensors and should be good to go. Seems like a trailer should be easier to recognize. All these fancy electronics should be able to figure out anything hooked up to the hitch and deactivate redundant safety systems to suit.

Last edited:

Nels

Reaction score
My truck shows a trailer connected indicator on the dash even when using a 4-pin on a small utility trailer. I had always thought it was detecting the trailer through the 4 pin plug. Are you saying the trailer is detected by the rear view camera?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/