5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cross Path/Back up senor headache

ajosephngs

Reaction score
So I love my truck but the automatic braking with cross path detection and back up sensor isn’t the luxury feature I was hoping for. 4 times now in cold weather or in crowded parking lots it has decided that my head should be planted on the head rest and my unsecured belongings sent screaming toward the back seat. Only to reveal no danger or a person walking like 15 yards away. It violently applies the ebrake on occasions where it not only aggravates me but causes little awkward encounters in parking lots, backing into my drive or leaving work. I think it’s related to cold weather where something is impacting the sensors. Maybe ice or road salt. I’ve decided to disable it for fear another coworker will see me backing out like 15 year old on a driving test. When you brake that hard, people think your idiot when there’s nothing around. They don’t think your truck is protecting you from phantom dangers. I like the beep from the proximity sensors but I need to dig into the menu and turn off the ‘smash your head and hurt your pride’ autobraking.

Griff

Reaction score
There is supposed to be a bulletin for this that the dealer can fix the overly sensitive sensors. I'm waiting until my first oil change to get them to do it. In the mean time, you can turn off the brake assist in uconnect. I agree that it is frustrating.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is supposed to be a bulletin for this that the dealer can fix the overly sensitive sensors. I'm waiting until my first oil change to get them to do it. In the mean time, you can turn off the brake assist in uconnect. I agree that it is frustrating.
Any word on this? It happened to be today and I don't enjoy the whiplash for no reason. Do you have to request it or is it an update they automatically apply.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Many are in same boat. You can turn off or change sensitivity level on front and rear sensors.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have same issue. Happened 3 times parking at work, was still 6-8 feet away from the garage on a less than 5 degree grade. I turned it off for a while.
So guess what happened??? Monday, I stupidly backed into my mom’s car (she was watching my kids, I don’t still live with her, lol) bc I was distracted by my friend’s brand new Jeep Rubicon pulling up as I was parking. Now it’s back on and I also realized the beep warning is somewhat delayed. No damage besides a bent plate frame (her car) and two tiny scratches on my bumper, luckily. Doh!!!

gencon

Reaction score
So I love my truck but the automatic braking with cross path detection and back up sensor isn’t the luxury feature I was hoping for. 4 times now in cold weather or in crowded parking lots it has decided that my head should be planted on the head rest and my unsecured belongings sent screaming toward the back seat. Only to reveal no danger or a person walking like 15 yards away. It violently applies the ebrake on occasions where it not only aggravates me but causes little awkward encounters in parking lots, backing into my drive or leaving work. I think it’s related to cold weather where something is impacting the sensors. Maybe ice or road salt. I’ve decided to disable it for fear another coworker will see me backing out like 15 year old on a driving test. When you brake that hard, people think your idiot when there’s nothing around. They don’t think your truck is protecting you from phantom dangers. I like the beep from the proximity sensors but I need to dig into the menu and turn off the ‘smash your head and hurt your pride’ autobraking.
Mine suffers the same issue. Don't think its only in cold weather. Mine happens mostly in hard rain

smiles5619

Reaction score
I had no idea the truck automatically brakes with these features. I have both on my truck but was quite close to hitting my compost bin and it didn't brake the truck. The audible sounds were what made me hit the brake.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I took my truck in and mentioned the sensitivity of the rear parking sensors and the random braking and from what my dealer said there is no update or fix for this. I think the only thing we can do is everyone report this issue to their dealer and maybe FCA will catch on. Or just report it to @RamCares and have them open a case. My case was started through @RamCares and so far the FCA rep is bull dogging the dealer to get stuff resolved. Hopefully they can get the reverse parking sensor sensitivity fixed. I thought i read somewhere where they said there was an update out for it but i can't be certain.

Wedgeajt

Reaction score
Somewhere in the setup, you can turn off just the braking feature. This still leaves the noise sensors on. I couldnt back down my steep driveway without the brakes hitting automatically. Fortunately, you can turn just the braking off and leave the sensors active.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get a ghost sensor trip and beep every once in a while for no reason, and it seems like it may be a software or sensor glitch.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I contacted my FCA representative about this issue. I mentioned that my son is scared to ride in my truck because it scares everyone when it ghost brakes. My son started crying from being shook and jolted. I'm also scared it's going to brake while pulling out of my driveway and cause an accident. She said she would look into it. I told them I would ride with a tech to see if I can recreate it.

DM-SC

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. Just randomly stomps on the brakes while backing up...with nothing in the way.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will let you know if my FCA representative has any recourse on getting this fixed.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Folks, you can turn the braking feature off in settings. Also, you can temporarily disable the sensors altogether with the toggle switch on the dash.

I've found that mine does this when backing up into my driveway which has a an incline. If I back up fast, then it brakes as soon as it sees the curb on the side of the driveway. Once I clear the curb I can really floor it w/o issues.

Same if I am backing into a parking spot with obstacles (vehicles or other things), while going fast. If I go at a slower speed or there are no obstacles, no braking at all.

That being said, I leave mine on and back up slower than I would otherwise. The tradeoff is worth it for me safety-wise.

Cheers,

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Folks, you can turn the braking feature off in settings. Also, you can temporarily disable the sensors altogether with the toggle switch on the dash.

I've found that mine does this when backing up into my driveway which has a an incline. If I back up fast, then it brakes as soon as it sees the curb on the side of the driveway. Once I clear the curb I can really floor it w/o issues.

Same if I am backing into a parking spot with obstacles (vehicles or other things), while going fast. If I go at a slower speed or there are no obstacles, no braking at all.

That being said, I leave mine on and back up slower than I would otherwise. The tradeoff is worth it for me safety-wise.

Cheers,
If i turned off every feature that didn't work then why did I purchase the limited with extra features? I understand turning the feature off but I would rather have the feature work. Working with FCA will help make sure the problem is resolved in the future for others. Plus it is a safety feature and I would like to have it in case I do actually need it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
If i turned off every feature that didn't work then why did I purchase the limited with extra features? I understand turning the feature off but I would rather have the feature work. Working with FCA will help make sure the problem is resolved in the future for others. Plus it is a safety feature and I would like to have it in case I do actually need it.
You can do whatever you want. I offered options available for those that may not know it.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree that reverse speed might play a factor in the auto brake through my experience but, I think they could have done better with the system. The random braking is annoying, surprising and embarrassing.

I was told today by service there are no “updates” for the reverse auto brake and if there was a problem with my truck would indicate such with a dash light. I’ll just turn it off even though I’m losing this important safety feature.

Last edited:

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm taking a service manager on a test drive tomorrow to try to recreate the problem. I hope I can recreate the problem but I doubt it. Any suggestions would help. I have a steep driveway and it seems to be completely random. Here's to hoping.

Kidder

Reaction score
My brother has a steep driveway. It slammed on the brakes when it saw the transition from driveway to sidewalk. I turned auto braking off and only get the warning now. Works great.

Users who are viewing this thread