5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crew Cab bed lengths

immersivenc

Reaction score
I've got the crew cab 6'4 bed. I was originally going to order the 5'7 but after looking at them I was concerned I may want more bed space. Glad i got the longer bed. I personally think it looks more proportionate to the crew cab than the short bed, but that's just me. Not too worried about parking, I usually park as far away from all the idiots as I can anyway.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
My 2019 Crew with the 5'7 bed FEELS significantly bigger than my 2011 quad with the 6'4 bed.

Looking at the spec sheets, it's only 4" longer in wheelbase and overall length, but I really notice it while parking in tight spaces etc. The crew with the 6'4 bed would be a beast.

I use my truck for truck stuff now and then, so I am hopeful that the increase in cargo volume INSIDE the crew cab will make up for the loss of some bed space. Only downside I've found so far is that with the flat floor, while you can load an awful lot, it'll slide back and forth the width of the cab on turns.

You don't use the tie downs?

slowt

Reaction score
Definitely overhangs with the tailgate down on the smaller box. Also, you'll receive a notice on the cluster about the tailgate being open. You may be able to switch it off, but I didnt try, as I live a quarter mile from Home Depot.

20180713_193956.jpg

RAM 4times

Reaction score
Definitely overhangs with the tailgate down on the smaller box. Also, you'll receive a notice on the cluster about the tailgate being open. You may be able to switch it off, but I didnt try, as I live a quarter mile from Home Depot.

View attachment 1367
looks like about 6 inches for the plywood right? no problem there. by the way your truck looks great! i always had the white letters on my tires but i went with the black wall this time. as yours shows just keep them shined up and they look great with the standard rims. can't wait to get mine!

alow

Reaction score
Completely agree with the 6'4 looking proportional on the CC. I actually measured mine when it showed up because I thought it was the shortbed. DIfferent strokes for people with different needs. I'll say its one of the things that turned me off from the Tundra, I couldnt do the longbed CC and my new Ram can.

immersivenc

Reaction score
Completely agree with the 6'4 looking proportional on the CC. I actually measured mine when it showed up because I thought it was the shortbed. DIfferent strokes for people with different needs. I'll say its one of the things that turned me off from the Tundra, I couldnt do the longbed CC and my new Ram can.

One thing I’ve noticed is that at least to my eye, color has a lot to do with the perception of the bed length. Lighter colors make the bed look longer and darker colors make it look shorter. What color do you have?

Dominacb

Reaction score
I ordered the 5'7" with a limited Crew Cab. I like the look of it better than the longer bed imo

alow

Reaction score
One thing I’ve noticed is that at least to my eye, color has a lot to do with the perception of the bed length. Lighter colors make the bed look longer and darker colors make it look shorter. What color do you have?
You could definately be on to something I have Black Forest Green which is almost black so that could have something to do with it looking short. I never even considered that.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
On the lumber forums, the general theme is to carry 4x8s with the tailgate down and resting on either 2x4s on the bed (so the whole board is supported) or on a frame that lays them above the wheel wells (obviously not a RamBox bed issue). Apparently, it is common for the sides to have notches before and after the wheel well to lay 2x6 boards sideways, creating a platform above the wheel wells.

When I was younger all pickups had 8' beds and the ads all talked about carrying 4x8 boards. Now that space has gone to the cab.

It used to be the case that a Suburban or equivalent, when the rear seat was down, could fit 4x8s. The backs of the second row were the same as the bed floor. And everything was locked up and protected from the weather. With the load extending past a down tailgate, it needs to be unloaded right away and is exposed to the elements, requiring moving blankets and/or a tarp for protection.

But now the SUVs have all turned into cars for transporting kids. At one point GM had a 4-wheel steering 2500 Suburban advertised for it maneuverability with trailers. They recognized that maneuvering around buildings, fences, and obstacles at the destination was as important as cruising on the highway. I came within a whisker of buying one. Now, no 2500 let alone 4-wheel steering. The biggest SUV is barely rated for a 9000 trailer.

The SUV's liftgate is also better for loading, especially with a trailer. Even the multifunction tailgate really will have limited access with a trailer attached and requires room in the rear to access it even without a trailer. Just blowing steam as I pine for a RAM 1500 SUV, where a 5-7 bed length would fit 4x8s with the second row folded.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On the lumber forums, the general theme is to carry 4x8s with the tailgate down and resting on either 2x4s on the bed (so the whole board is supported) or on a frame that lays them above the wheel wells (obviously not a RamBox bed issue). Apparently, it is common for the sides to have notches before and after the wheel well to lay 2x6 boards sideways, creating a platform above the wheel wells.

When I was younger all pickups had 8' beds and the ads all talked about carrying 4x8 boards. Now that space has gone to the cab.

It used to be the case that a Suburban or equivalent, when the rear seat was down, could fit 4x8s. The backs of the second row were the same as the bed floor. And everything was locked up and protected from the weather. With the load extending past a down tailgate, it needs to be unloaded right away and is exposed to the elements, requiring moving blankets and/or a tarp for protection.

But now the SUVs have all turned into cars for transporting kids. At one point GM had a 4-wheel steering 2500 Suburban advertised for it maneuverability with trailers. They recognized that maneuvering around buildings, fences, and obstacles at the destination was as important as cruising on the highway. I came within a whisker of buying one. Now, no 2500 let alone 4-wheel steering. The biggest SUV is barely rated for a 9000 trailer.

The SUV's liftgate is also better for loading, especially with a trailer. Even the multifunction tailgate really will have limited access with a trailer attached and requires room in the rear to access it even without a trailer. Just blowing steam as I pine for a RAM 1500 SUV, where a 5-7 bed length would fit 4x8s with the second row folded.
Durango BOF and Jeep Wagoneer is coming...someday.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Fortunately, all full-size truck beds (even RamBox beds) are designed with sheet goods in mind and offer >48” of clear width between the wheel wells.

The use of horizontal “stake pockets” in standard beds simply enables creating a second load floor that isn’t bearing on the items below.

Having owned trucks with various bed lengths, I believe a 6’-4” or 6’-6” bed is a good compromise that keeps 8’ materials from hanging off the tailgate without significantly reducing maneuverability.

But let’s be honest...I rarely haul sheets of drywall, OSB, or plywood in my truck, so I opted for the 5’-7” RamBox bed. That said, if hauling these materials was a daily task, I’d be driving a 3/4-ton truck with an 8’ bed or pulling a trailer.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can remember the days when a "short bed" (6'6") looked odd but dang if the 5'7" now looks normal and the rare 8' bed makes my eyes bug out.

Users who are viewing this thread