5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crew Cab bed lengths

FLG8R

Reaction score
Noticed a good number of 2019 Crew Cabs locally that have the 6'4" bed and got wondering what bed lengths those of you with Crew Cabs have or ordered. Is it the 5'7" or the 6'4"? That is one mighty long truck with the 6'4" bed.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ordered the 5"7' with Rambox. I'm in sales and haul demo cases around for work and music gear as a hobby so having a conventional length bed is not important. Big SUVs have worked well in the past. I'm giving a truck a try this time around.

alow

Reaction score
I did the 6'4 on mine. My old truck was a 6'4 bed and I never wished it was smaller. I wished it was longer a few times (Yes, we are doing phrasing) but an 8 ft bed seems like a limo. If I hate it i'll let you know but I park in the back and walk in lots and have plenty of driveway so I think it will be fine. YMMV of course. I will say there are a few times I've had oversized stuff like a giant bed and treadmill etc where it was nice to be able to close the tailgate vs an extender or strap.

John813

Reaction score
5'7" bed for me. I use the bed, but for smaller items that don't usually exceed 5' in length.
5'7" bed also makes it fit in the garage, as I don't want any truck to be outside if another hurricane hits.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
My 1st 5'7 bed. Over the years I have come to appreciate using a trailer when I need to haul long supplies

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went with the 5'-7" for the RamBox option. My current crew cab truck has a 6'-6" bed, and I would have gone with the 6'-4" bed if RamBox were available.

cjgerson

Reaction score
5'7" for me as the larger bed won't fit in the garage. In Illinois we get really hot summers and cold winters, so I don't want to park the truck outside!

Flot

Reaction score
My 2019 Crew with the 5'7 bed FEELS significantly bigger than my 2011 quad with the 6'4 bed.

Looking at the spec sheets, it's only 4" longer in wheelbase and overall length, but I really notice it while parking in tight spaces etc. The crew with the 6'4 bed would be a beast.

I use my truck for truck stuff now and then, so I am hopeful that the increase in cargo volume INSIDE the crew cab will make up for the loss of some bed space. Only downside I've found so far is that with the flat floor, while you can load an awful lot, it'll slide back and forth the width of the cab on turns.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2017 Crew Cab with the 5'7'' foot bed and came from a 2016 Quad cab with the 6'4'' bed. I noticed it was alot smaller. Felt more like an SUV to me then a truck. I went back to the quad cab with the 6'4'' bed when I purchased my 2019 Ram.

Ickabod

Reaction score
I have the 5'7 bed. This gives me 6" clearance in my garage. The 6' bed would have me parking it outside.

RAM 4times

Reaction score
5.7 bed for me also. most of the crew cabs i see on lots or out on the road are the 5.7 bed. by now they look normal to me plus i get plywood or 2x4's with no problems.

rott

Reaction score
5.7 bed for me also. most of the crew cabs i see on lots or out on the road are the 5.7 bed. by now they look normal to me plus i get plywood or 2x4's with no problems.

Can you fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat in the bed without overhanging the tailgate?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat in the bed without overhanging the tailgate?
I don't think so but wanted to mention the misleading image on Ram.com on the capability page, I believe. They have a shot from above of a sheet of plywood in a RamBox 5'7" bed that doesn't hang over the tailgate. If you look at the gridlines printed on the plywood, you can see the 4' length mark (square if you cut the plywood in half) but now you can also see there is not half a sheet left. They cut the plywood to make it fit thus implying a sheet will fit and not hang over.
Not a surprise for anyone who's loaded up before, but could be for folks new to the short short bed.

RAM 4times

Reaction score
boy, you're testing my old brain. i think it is even with the tailgate or hangs over just a bit. i always secure with some straps and never had a issue. had 3 rams and 1 tundra with this bed.

RAM 4times

Reaction score
The shortbox was for my wife's benefit more than anything else as she will drive it occasionally. Regardless, it'll sit outside 24/7......sun, rain, hurricanes..... My garage has a 2016 Corvette and a 1969 Camaro SS in it. My Jeep and truck spend life outside.
you think they figured out yet where they rank with you??

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
6’4” for me. I am involved with agriculture and need as much bed as possible and live in a very rural area. All stores and public parking lots are large and I am one of those who park in the back anyway to avoid door dings, exc. I have had some large 1 ton crew cab long beds over the years so this one is no big deal. Would have ordered a crew cab 8’ bed if Ram had it available on the 1500! It’s odd that most of these ‘19’s on dealer lots here locally are 5’7” beds. A 6’4” is rare.

Users who are viewing this thread