5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creaking noise

kdrose1992

Reaction score
Hi All,

I found my creaking steering wheel issue today. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel with 2000 miles on it. The creaking noise would happen more often when I'm turning the steering wheel in a slow turn. It sounded like the noise was coming from the clock spring right behind the air bag but that was a red herring. The noise was actually coming from the aluminum coupler at the base of the steering shaft inside the cab. The noise would telescope up the steering shaft and the steering wheel acted like a speaker. There are 2 cheap rivets holding it together. You can feel the slop and feel the creaking noise very easily when turning the steering wheel while you have your hand on the coupler. I sprayed some lubricate at the top of the coupler. It took a few minutes to work in the lubricant but eventually the noise went away. If the noise does come back I will drill out one rivet at a time and install a bolt with a locking nut and tighten it down good. I have included pictures. Please let me know if this help anyone out.

Lloyd
I used this info and traced mine to this same issue, is the lubricant still fixing the issue? What lubricant did you use?

sodamarlin13

Reaction score
I’m having the same creaking noise. If there’s a service bulletin out there, pleaee post it as my dealer was unable to replicate the problem.

slarowe

Reaction score
Hi All,

I found my creaking steering wheel issue today. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel with 2000 miles on it. The creaking noise would happen more often when I'm turning the steering wheel in a slow turn. It sounded like the noise was coming from the clock spring right behind the air bag but that was a red herring. The noise was actually coming from the aluminum coupler at the base of the steering shaft inside the cab. The noise would telescope up the steering shaft and the steering wheel acted like a speaker. There are 2 cheap rivets holding it together. You can feel the slop and feel the creaking noise very easily when turning the steering wheel while you have your hand on the coupler. I sprayed some lubricate at the top of the coupler. It took a few minutes to work in the lubricant but eventually the noise went away. If the noise does come back I will drill out one rivet at a time and install a bolt with a locking nut and tighten it down good. I have included pictures. Please let me know if this help anyone out.

Lloyd
Thank you for posting this. I was about to lose my mind after troubleshooting this the last few weeks to no avail on my 2021 Laramie. I put some lubricant right where you suggested last night, and it is silent today.

Mikent

Reaction score
My 2019 has had a creaking noise off and on for the past few months. It noise appears to be coming from the front suspension. When I first noticed the noise is was during wet or humid weather, now the creaking noise is happening more often. I purchased a lifetime warranty when I bought my truck, when I took my truck to have the noise checked the dealership wanted to charge a diagnostic fee.

HollyRam123

Reaction score
We have a 2020 Ram Limited and have been dealing with this issue for 2 years. Our dealership has been very helpful and replaced nearly every part, but the creak is still creaking. It does go away after they take everything apart and I’m assuming it is because it is all tightened up when they put it back together. The creak happens with any steering wheel movement, but mostly right at the beginning of a movement left or right and also on bumps or rough roads. It’s starting to drive us all bonkers.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We have a 2020 Ram Limited and have been dealing with this issue for 2 years. Our dealership has been very helpful and replaced nearly every part, but the creak is still creaking. It does go away after they take everything apart and I’m assuming it is because it is all tightened up when they put it back together. The creak happens with any steering wheel movement, but mostly right at the beginning of a movement left or right and also on bumps or rough roads. It’s starting to drive us all bonkers.
Hi there,

We are sorry to hear about this ongoing vehicle concern. We'd appreciate the opportunity to assist. Do you plan to revisit the dealer, as this issue is still occuring? Please send us a private message with some additional details.

Lex
Ram Cares

Bobbybob

Reaction score
Throw mine out there too…starting creaking about a month ago. The video posted here sounds more like knocking where mine is a true creak when you turn (sounds like an old door being opened). Driving me insane! Sounds like a truck that I’ve had since 1987 but this is a 2020 🤣. Is this what everyone on here is referring to??

Users who are viewing this thread