5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple of questions for current owners

Tranzella

Reaction score
While I try to maneuver through this awful market, I have a couple of questions for you…
1. Any issues with the 12” UConnect? And is it worth the extra $$ over the 8.4”? Seems like when the ‘19s first came out there were a lot of issues which hopefully have been resolved.

2. ETorque…what is the general consensus on it? Yay or nay?
Thanks!!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I love the 12" screen. I've had no issues with mine.

I have the eTorque. I've had no issues with it either. The stop /start took a little too get use to. You barely feel the transmission shifting if at all. To be honest, I'm not really sure what the real benefit to it is.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I cant speak of the E-Torque but my 12" uconnect had 2 glitches but they haven't happened since I a reset or reboot. When backing up, the screen went blank on me and I couldn't see via the camera. I shut the truck off and restarted and it was fine for the day. Next day same thing but it wouldn't correct itself. When I got to work I disconnected the battery for about 10 to 20 seconds and it hasn't happened since. I dont know if it was a camera issue or a screen issue

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Over 10K miles now and no problems at all from the 12" UConnect.

Never been a fan of auto start/stop vehicles so I didn't get an e-torque.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
While I try to maneuver through this awful market, I have a couple of questions for you…
1. Any issues with the 12” UConnect? And is it worth the extra $$ over the 8.4”? Seems like when the ‘19s first came out there were a lot of issues which hopefully have been resolved.

Thanks!!
I am a long term owner and was concerned about another expense down the road for etoque and stayed with the traditional hemi. Can't comment on the 12 as I I have the 8.4 nav which I've had a few issues with.
Best of luck on your decision.

CanRebel

Reaction score
Don't have E-torque on my Rebel. and I don't like it.

I have 12inch screen. No issues. Screen size is nice.
Software that runs it is poor.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep a MicroFiber cloth ready to get rid of the Fingerprints.

Only had mine Playing a Radio station mixed in with my MP3's
on a thumbdrive once. Corrected itself after a day at work. One
other time it would not play the Thumbdrive. Again, it corrected
itself after some time sitting and a restart.

Malodave

tsbbartholomew1

Reaction score
Have the 8.4 Nav on mine and love it...had thrown around the 12" but read about it being quite glitchy and didn't want that. I do a fair amount of towing and wanted the benefits of the e-torque setup so went with it and have had no issues so far at all.

jkm312

Reaction score
I don't have either one of these two choice in my truck. I did test drive a truck with both twice. While the 12" screen looks really cool, I found it to be distracting when driving and making cabin adjustments. I had to take my eyes off the road and look for the touch points on the screen. I like the knobs in combination with the 8.4 screen.
I didn't choose e-torque because I don't have to deal with a lot of heavy stop and go traffic, while I tow a boat and sometimes a small enclosed trailer, the 3.92 is plenty adequate for my purposes. The 3.21 would suffice just as well for me, I just prefer the "grunt" of the truck to be on the low end. No regrets with the 3.92 for me. My other reason for not going the e-torque route was when the battery pack has to be replaced, or repairs out of warranty, what is the cost, and what have you really saved in real dollars if you are a long term owner? Enough to offset the cost of gas saved, jury is still out on that one, but I've got my doubts. I've experienced stop and start in rental cars - I don't like it end of story.
The only time this truck let me down was when the 3rd brake light started to leak this spring. Got the gasket replaced and has been dry since, hope it stays that way. I've never understood why an engineer would punch a hole in a perfectly good piece of metal up on top and then expect it not to leak. You would think they would know better than that, all of us out here get it.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 12 inch on my 19 had a few issues at first that they resolved. Haven’t had any issues with the 12 inch in my 21. E torque I didn’t really want but the truck had all the other options I wanted so I went with it anyway. I keep my AC on the lo setting which never allows the stop start to kick in so it’s been a non issue so far.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had no issues with my 12" screen. I am always running carplay and using google maps and waze instead of the built-in navigation though.

I don't have e-torque. After driving both and seeing the minimal difference all that extra stuff makes, I chose the non e-torque for simplicity. If I want electric, then I'll buy an electric vehicle. (which I'll do in a couple years)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Both screens have had issues. I would say from what I've read that it's pretty even on that regard. The thing I liked about the 8.4" is that I had discreet buttons for the seat heat/vent and steering wheel heat. So that's my biggest gripe about having the 12 inch screen, no buttons for those things. The night time resolution on the 8.4 inch is better than on the 12 inch. Having owned both I'd get the 12 inch every time.

Etorque does nothing for me on my normal commute. So I've installed an autostop eliminator so I can keep stop/start off without needing to push the button every time I start my truck. I'd have preferred to not have etorque but I decided I can live with it.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I cant speak of the E-Torque but my 12" uconnect had 2 glitches but they haven't happened since I a reset or reboot. When backing up, the screen went blank on me and I couldn't see via the camera. I shut the truck off and restarted and it was fine for the day. Next day same thing but it wouldn't correct itself. When I got to work I disconnected the battery for about 10 to 20 seconds and it hasn't happened since. I dont know if it was a camera issue or a screen issue
There is a recall for the backup camera issue I believe...a software update.

jcjohn

Reaction score
Bought CPO '19 Limited this summer with 50k miles. I've put almost 10k on it including a 2,650 round trip a couple weeks ago to NW Montana. I've had zero issues with the 12" screen and had it connected to my phone for Audible, Prime Music, Nav, etc... I don't have etorq because didn't want extra electronic hassles or stop/start. Truck has been excellent so far and big upgrade from my '15 Laramie Ecodiesel.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
There is a recall for the backup camera issue I believe...a software update.
Not sure when or if that recall came out but my truck is only 4 months old and it was just at the dealer for 2 days earlier this week so they can resolve water leak in the cab issues but they never mentioned any recalls. I did however just get an over the air uconnect update yesterday though.

~Ocho1~

Reaction score
Just crossed over 8000 miles on my 2021 Laramie. I have both e-torque & 12" U-connect.

Only issue I've had is my back up camera has not worked (black screen) twice. Both times after sitting for a couple of hours the problem resolved itself. I really like the 12" screen, brings the interior of the truck to a whole different level.

Can't really comment on the e-torque too much, never had a regular Hemi. The start stop feature is OK. Since I live in hot *** Florida, the trucks AC is always trying to cool the cabin, so the start stop is disengaged, but the few times it has been active I have noticed that the start up is much smoother than my buddy's F150 & even my wife's Mercedes

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...... When backing up, the screen went blank on me and I couldn't see via the camera. ....
This is not exclusive to the 12" screen. My wife's Jeep with the 8.4" does it, and my former Wrangler with the 8.4" would periodically have the lines disappear. It's a software issue so it can effect either screen.

Over 10K miles now and no problems at all from the 12" UConnect.

Never been a fan of auto start/stop vehicles so I didn't get an e-torque.
Yeah that's probably the biggest issue I had with it. Although it's reportedly much smoother so I may have considered it if they had one when I got mine. I would have at least drove it to see how it feels.

.... The thing I liked about the 8.4" is that I had discreet buttons for the seat heat/vent and steering wheel heat. So that's my biggest gripe about having the 12 inch screen, no buttons for those things. .....
I'm 100% with you on that one. Someone mentioned the distraction of not having buttons, but it does a pretty good job with making things easy to touch without having to look at the screen. HVAC has physical keys it just took some getting used to the new location, and the radio can be completely controlled via the steering wheel or voice. The lack of physical buttons for the seat and steering wheel is a real bummer though. It's my only complaint with the 12", otherwise love it. I just told my wife yesterday, I'll probably have it in every truck from here out.

Not sure when or if that recall came out but my truck is only 4 months old and it was just at the dealer for 2 days earlier this week so they can resolve water leak in the cab issues but they never mentioned any recalls. I did however just get an over the air uconnect update yesterday though.
Could be a TSB (service bulletin). They only make the repair/change if the customer complains about the specific issue. This differs from a safety recall which is automatically one.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks!!

I love the 12" but just recently had it replaced under warranty. The GPS and built-in cell had no connectivity and the SA told me that Ram has had some issues with Panasonic in this area. I've got a very late HW rev now so hopefully I'm all set. Other than that, it's been amazing.

I've also got the ETorque and if I had to do it over I would IF the price was right. I think it was ~$700 when I bought mine. I really do enjoy it, especially at drive throughs in the fall-spring. It's awesome to have the truck shut off and be completely quiet and then to restart without vibration or noise - except for the Hemi "thrum" out of the exhaust. Never get tired of that.

The downside to ETorque is the rougher downshifts when coming to a stop. It's actually not all downshifting but the ETorque regen coming on a bit too strong and there's not fix for it. You'll really notice the difference if you drive one with and w/o back-to-back. Of course, you can just get used to it and move on with life.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I had the update performed on my Truck. Haven't had the issue since.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't have eTorque. I love my 12". It's why I got my truck. 5k miles/4mos and no issues to report. Build date is 5/2021.

There's a TSB for the eTorque engine stalling.

Users who are viewing this thread