5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Consumer Reports' Reliability rating for Ram 1500 - doesn't make sense

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Chiming in though with only opinions, no detailed historical research.

I was a big forum reader before buying anything since my F150 in 2015. I saw a lot of issues with the new body style F150 and the recent (2011 up) ecoboost engines, enough to cause me to let the truck go (fairly easily). While I missed the truck’s ride and power, every time I looked on the forum and saw another issue crop up, I knew it probably was a good choice.

Fast forward to 2019. Wife wanted (of all things) a comfortable riding truck. So off we go looking, with me usually sitting in the back and reading forums. Still a bit gun-shy about Ford, felt GM was definitely #3 of 3 in both reported issues and overall experience in the vehicles we tested.

Then she sat in and drove the RAM. Done deal. While it is counter-intuitive to purchase another 1st generation vehicle, I felt ok cause the drivetrain wasn’t new at all. The fit and finish were stellar. I didn’t want the 12” screen (again, new tech) but the Ltd’s all came with it. I resisted the (early) E-torque models due to reported concerns, that was my only real reservation with the truck (well other than all the nanny safety things which I’m glad I don’t have).

Would I drive a Ford or GM? Open to it but not likely to happen now at my age. This is probably the last new vehicle, and so far (11 months and only 8,600 miles) she loves it every time she drives it (which is 90% of the time).

Every brand has issues. Some trucks are just “lemons” no matter who built them. Some have engineering missteps (more Fords it seems) and this one (hemi) is a bit on the thirsty side, however these are all 1st world problems.

Count me glad to not have all the problems that have come up, and even more glad that the better half is finally happy with a vehicle. That’s not even quantifiable!

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since you were so emphatically convinced of "chrysler’s reputation for un-reliability," I guess it then begs the question, why did you buy one in the first place?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031480 miles.
Because I love it! Like I said to my dad (a diehard Ford guy), RAMs are the coolest trucks made, not the best, but the coolest.

My truck has had several sleepovers at the dealership since I bought it in Oct, 2018. I've never owned another vehicle that's been even close to the unreliability of this truck.

That said, I still love it cause it's the coolest! It drives great, it looks great, its comfortable. It's just all the little details.

I KNEW I was going to have problems with it. I KNEW I would need to use my warranty to do QC because FCA sure as hell doesn't do it. There is a reason their reputation is so poor.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not really a doubt as to their sub par products and even worse dealer service. Anyone denying this is basically head in the sand.

However, like all cars over the past 20+ and really 10+ years, the tech/shared tech has gotten much better. It is far more rare now to see cars of any nature stranded on the road.

It is the right time to take chances as the line between the worst and the best is shorter than it has ever been.

And more importantly the Ram trucks just look the best by a bigger margin than the worry of hassle free miles.
With respect to FCA dealers, I find myself in complete agreement with you.

But, I never said or even intimated that FCA products, or Ram for that matter, were superior to anyone else. But that doesn’t mean they’re always on the bottom of reliability, either. My initial point specific to Ram was that their quality varies from year-to-year just like everyone else’s. Emphatic statements that contain the word “always” will elicit a response. So, I guess that means calling out facts that contradict broad-brush negative remarks about ‘reputation’ or perception, is considered to having one’s “head in the sand.”

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031480 miles.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
With respect to FCA dealers, I find myself in complete agreement with you.

But, I never said or even intimated that FCA products, or Ram for that matter, were superior to anyone else. But that doesn’t mean they’re always on the bottom of reliability, either. My initial point specific to Ram was that their quality varies from year-to-year just like everyone else’s. Emphatic statements that contain the word “always” will elicit a response. So, I guess that means calling out facts that contradict broad-brush negative remarks about ‘reputation’ or perception, is considered to having one’s “head in the sand.”

Regards,
Dusty
Yep, “never use the term always” or is it “always use the term never”? Hmmm, something to ponder at 2 am.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
My 2 cents.

I gave up on trusting CR a long time ago.

I love my RAM. With that said, it has definitely required more repairs (under warranty) than my Camry I've had 7 years or my prior Escape I had for 14. I bought the lifetime warranty for this reason, and thus far both of my local dealers have been great to work with. If I had some of the bad service experiences some people write about on here, my opinion would very likely be soured.

The UConnect is still a joke. Why they would put in a radio that isn't capable of accepting wireless Android Auto is beyond me. The lack of true voice commands ("say a predefined message") is likewise infuriating. It is very pretty. And Android Auto works well, but I shouldn't have to be tethered to it. This was foreseeable and failure in my opinion.

I'm still dealing with the brake groan after the initial fixes didn't work last year. When I have time, I'll peruse through the countless pages on the subject and find the updated TSP that hopefully fixes it.

With all that said, I continue to love my truck and plan on having it another 8-9 years.
WRT Android Auto (same with Apple CarPlay), I agree with the PITA need to connect via a hardwire. That said, is that the mfg's fault or Android/Apple? Are there are other brands out there that allow bluetooth-only AA or CarPlay connectivity?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
WRT Android Auto (same with Apple CarPlay), I agree with the PITA need to connect via a hardwire. That said, is that the mfg's fault or Android/Apple? Are there are other brands out there that allow bluetooth-only AA or CarPlay connectivity?
I drive a lot of rental cars and none of them had wireless AA/Carplay

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Fair point. That might have been late breaking enough that auto manufacturers couldn't predict if their headsets would work with AA or CP.

It more chaps me that they put in their panasonic radios incapable of doing true voice commands in the RAM.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
.... I KNEW I would need to use my warranty to do QC because FCA sure as hell doesn't do it. ...
Again, my 2020 Laramie Longhorn has absolutely STELLAR quality control & workmanship. So you really can not make the statement that "FCA doesn't do QC". Although, unfortunately, they apparently didn't do it on your particular vehicle, the fact that they did it on mine proves that FCA does do QC. The issue is consistency, not basic ability.

Last edited:

Narg

Reaction score
Definitely take CR's review into consideration. NOT that it's perfect. No review is. But considering its one viewpoint among others, you'll find a lot of similarities, as well as some differences. They all count. RAM still comes out on top IMHO.

Last edited:

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Again, my 2020 Laramie Longhorn has absolutely STELLAR quality control & workmanship. So you really can not make the statement that "FCA doesn't to QC". Although, unfortunately, they apparently didn't do it on your particular vehicle, the fact that they did it on mine proves that FCA does do QC. The issue is consistency, not basic ability.
This will be my last post regarding this topic.

This is only my personal experience, take it for what it’s worth.

I work for an equipment manufacturer. Some of our customers are tier 1 automotive suppliers. I have heard from more than one of them that Chrysler has the lowest standards of any of the auto makers that they partner with.

In other words, they accept parts that other automakers would not. Their standards are considerably lower than Toyota, Ford, Honda, etc.

I tend to believe them because they have no reason to lie to me.

Again, I still bought one because I like it.

I’m not suggesting that it’s a piece of junk, because it definitely is not. It’s a very nice truck, but there are some undeniable quality issues that a lot of people have had.

Thank you, enjoy your weekend. Stay safe everyone.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
This is just to let everyone one know , this is my third Ram 1500 , never really had an issue with any of them ( except for the air suspension on the 2016 ) my wife drives a grand caravan and this is the fourth one we’ve had without any problems from any of them , my MIL has a 2014 grand caravan with no problems at all , my one sister has a 2015 grand caravan with no problems at all , my other sister has a Dodge Journey with no problems , my mom has a chrysler town and country with no problems at all , my dad has a Jeep Grand Cherokee with no problems and my 2 brother in laws have Rams with no problems so either we’ve been extremely lucky or they’re not as bad as the general consensus is .

coderman

Reaction score
Forget Consumer Reports ... here's my report, and I got rid of this hunk of **** 2020 RAM before the 2 month mark. Pick up my new 2020 Ford Raptor this afternoon.

Super reliable within 2 months of ownership, and 4,000KM
  • Transmission clunk, on low to high speed transitions sometimes
  • Take in for service warning on the suspension as well as the proximity sensors
  • Rattles in the cabin, and loose Start/Stop button I had to pull out and fix myself with some foam tape
  • Weird and noticeable whine in 4x4 Auto mode coming out of the front-end
  • Black paint spilled on the backside and all over the leather of the steering wheel I only noticed as I kept feeling a “flat spot” with my fingers on the back of the wheel before I decided to see what’s up
  • No dead-pedal or area for your left foot to rest; my foot is left dangling around, and often used the fridge door storage for my foot to rest on and same with the passenger side; noticed everyone who was in the truck with me for more than 5 minutes got mud all over the side of the door inside the storage pocket lol now it all makes sense
  • Already had a service bulletin for wiper issues and a firmware update for suspension issues lol

If I kept this thing, I'd for sure have driven it off the edge of a cliff by the time year 2 came along and it'd be worth about as much with resale as a pile of dog **** lol

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forget Consumer Reports ... here's my report, and I got rid of this hunk of **** 2020 RAM before the 2 month mark. Pick up my new 2020 Ford Raptor this afternoon.

• Take in for service warning on the suspension as well as the proximity sensors
  • Rattles in the cabin, and loose Start/Stop button I had to pull out and fix myself with some foam tape
  • Black paint spilled on the backside and all over the leather of the steering wheel I only noticed as I kept feeling a “flat spot” with my fingers on the back of the wheel before I decided to see what’s up
  • No dead-pedal or area for your left foot to rest; my foot is left dangling around, and often used the fridge door storage for my foot to rest on and same with the passenger side; noticed everyone who was in the truck with me for more than 5 minutes got mud all over the side of the door inside the storage pocket lol now it all makes sense
  • Already had a service bulletin for wiper issues and a firmware update for suspension issues lol

If I kept this thing, I'd for sure have driven it off the edge of a cliff by the time year 2 came along and it'd be worth about as much with resale as a pile of dog **** lol

You might be what is called biased. :ROFLMAO:

Fatherof3

Reaction score

I’ve heard that too ..... RAMS are the only pickup out there that ever have any problems . LOL , Best of luck with your new truck F-150’s are really nice too .

coderman

Reaction score
Never said RAMs are the only ones that have problems. Their QC is just **** by comparison ... I'm only speaking from my personal experience. Night and day difference between the build quality of this Ford ... I've now spent 4 hours driving, and going over everything with a fine-toothed comb.

The RAM is all flash ... I'm super impressed with this Ford. Makes the RAM looks like a chintzy Vegas slot machine by comparison in person, and when you actually get in there and drive the two back to back.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I stopped looking at Consumer Reports car "expert" when I read a review, years ago, in which he dinged a vehicle because he did not have room to keep his left foot on the brake pedal while he drove with his right foot on the accelerator. Yeah, the "expert" was one of those idiots you see driving down the highway at 54 mph with their brake lights on.

Had he explained some sort of heel and toe technique, or some sort of dynamic reason for both being applied simultaneously on the test track, I'd have kept reading. But he explicitly mentioned it was for normal driving.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is that biased? That's called from experience ... I bought the RAM first, don't forget. That right there what you wrote, is called denial
Triggered much?

Pretty sure everyone is biased based on their experiences. Yours happens to be worse than most thus the increased bias.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never said RAMs are the only ones that have problems. Their QC is just **** by comparison ... I'm only speaking from my personal experience. Night and day difference between the build quality of this Ford ... I've now spent 4 hours driving, and going over everything with a fine-toothed comb.

The RAM is all flash ... I'm super impressed with this Ford. Makes the RAM looks like a chintzy Vegas slot machine by comparison in person, and when you actually get in there and drive the two back to back.
It's good that you are having a good experience with your Raptor, and it's very unfortunate that you hade such a poor experience with your Ram. For a bit of perspective, read my post above, as my experience has been 100% opposite of yours. In eight months of ownership, I have found not a single flaw, and have never once been back to the dealership. My Longhorn is as solid, quiet, comfortable and capable as any vehicle I've ever owned or driven, period.
To say that Ram is chintzy WRT Ford, is just an absolutely ludicrous statement. Every single automotive journalist in the past two years has given Ram praise for raising the bar in pickup truck interior quality and comfort. Ram has had so many "conquest sales" since it introduced its 2019 DT platform - for example, just read all of the new introduction threads here.
Also, it's worth noting that in the HD pickups, something like 80%+ of all hotshot haulers are using Ram HDs. If Ram was as big a POS as you proclaim, how on earth would it be that the guys who drive their trucks hard, all day, every day, loaded to their limits, could possibly afford to use any kind of truck that doesn't hold up? The answer is, they couldn't, simply because downtime is loss of income. If their Ram HDs were the POS's that you claim all Rams are, they'd get rid of them and trade them on the competitors' vehicles.
All manufacturers of hugely complex machinery have problems here and there. You got unlucky, so you don't trust Ram any longer, and for you, rightly so. But don't slam all Rams, because that's clearly incorrect. And, yes, for every Ram horror story you can find two Ford horror stories, simply because Ford sells so many more vehicles. So you can be happy with your Raptor and as a bonus you don't have to worry about this website any longer, you can just concentrate on the equivalent Ford website.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is that biased? That's called from experience ... I bought the RAM first, don't forget. That right there what you wrote, is called denial
Man, that truck sounds like a real dog. What was the VIN on that truck? Wouldn't want anyone else to pick that one up.

Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042357 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread