5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Consumer Reports' Reliability rating for Ram 1500 - doesn't make sense

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The RAM is all flash ... I'm super impressed with this Ford. Makes the RAM looks like a chintzy Vegas slot machine by comparison in person, and when you actually get in there and drive the two back to back.
I actually test-drove them all back-to-back-to-back (Denali, F-150 Limited and KR, Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn). Then I ordered a Longhorn.

It's telling that Ford accelerated their F-150 update (and delayed the planned Bronco release) to remain competitive with Ram.

Regardless, enjoy your new truck!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Never said RAMs are the only ones that have problems. Their QC is just **** by comparison ... I'm only speaking from my personal experience. Night and day difference between the build quality of this Ford ... I've now spent 4 hours driving, and going over everything with a fine-toothed comb.

The RAM is all flash ... I'm super impressed with this Ford. Makes the RAM looks like a chintzy Vegas slot machine by comparison in person, and when you actually get in there and drive the two back to back.
I was just being an *** . I for one hope you stick around on this forum so we can hear about the Raptor and if you have any problems with it or if you don’t have any problems with it ( I hope you have the latter ) .

jth877

Reaction score
Meh. CR is kind of a joke. While I do think toyota and honda are more reliable as a whole, they notoriously ignore common problems with those manufacturers and rate them very high even in their first model year. My 2020 ram has been great so far. I love the brake feel and like the uconnect. It works better and is more intuitive than most other interfaces I've tried. If CR really wanted to be helpful maybe they could rate the manufacturer customer service.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Yeah - Consumer Reports.

I love my Ram - but honestly - it's a little more than I needed, and really prefer and SUV. I get the usual rattles on the bed - kind of expect them carting an empty metal bucket around.

I'm hanging onto it for now - waiting to see what the Grand Wagoneer looks like (a $100K JEEP - no, don't think so), what the rumored 1500 Platform Durango looks like (the current one, just too small, even in comparison to my '16 Honda Pilot) - and what the '22 Honda Pilot Gen 4 turns out to be.

Have had minimal issues with my RAM (dead battery once) - save for the leather/plastic of the dash almost completely delaminating. I need to get over to the dealer to get a STAR case opened, and trying to decide if I trust them enough to replace the dash, without screwing up 10 other things on the dash.

Dealer service is what I've found lacking in my Ram. Don't know if it's because dealers are "spread too thin" having to support the entire FCA lineup (Dodge/Chrysler/Ram/Jeep) - or the fact that the techs are overworked/underpaid (an issue throughout the industry) and just don't give a crap because of it (or lack of support from FCA just wears them down).

Not sure what the dealership issue really is. OTOH - I'm coming from a dozen years of Honda ownership - at a dealer where I've had the same service writer, tech and parts guy. Apparantly they have a better business model that keeps their staff happy, properly motivated and gets them to stick around.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Your Mileage May (certainly) Vary (cause mine sucks - see sig).

Rick

coderman

Reaction score
I actually test-drove them all back-to-back-to-back (Denali, F-150 Limited and KR, Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn). Then I ordered a Longhorn.

It's telling that Ford accelerated their F-150 update (and delayed the planned Bronco release) to remain competitive with Ram.

Regardless, enjoy your new truck!
I was initially more impressed with the RAM myself honestly. The interior sold me, and the good old Hemi. After driving both though, I much prefer physical controls and durability over the 12” touch screen and materials etc. that will be more prone to wearing out of failure. The main screen on the Ford while in photos doesn’t look as impressive, is very straight to the point and very functional. It also has a textured coating on it that vastly reduces finger printing unlike the glossy black on the RAM screen that’s prone to scratches. The RAM is mostly flash ... not as much substance.

I will readily admit though, the small touches and attention to detail on the RAM Limited was nice. The leather on the seats and main console armrest is better quality leather. There are a small handful of areas in my Raptor where it looks like Ford cheaped out.
The real cup holders, lack of real leather on the rear door panels for some reason, and the rear seat armrest is hilariously chintzy compared to the RAM. I have no doubt Ford needed to respond quickly, but there’s something just very functional about this Ford that I can only call better after driving this Raptor for its first 1,000 now.

There are a couple creeks etc. I’ve also fixed in the Ford as of now, with a simple piece of thin rubber between a plastic dash component. Otherwise, not nearly the effort as with the RAM and mechanically with the drive train quality, the Ford is 100% better all around with better performance. The rear shocks and air ride on the RAM was good, but felt like a sluggish couch by comparison.
The seating position and overall comfort of the Raptor is leaps and bounds ahead of the RAM. This is a real “drivers truck” where the RAM is much more of a lazy slouch that’s actually not as comfortable as you’d think long term. Even the arm positioning for both the left and right arms is much more ergonomic and comfortable on the Ford. It’s just better thought out, like it was designed by someone who spends a lot of time driving. Can’t really describe it in any better way

I was just being an *** . I for one hope you stick around on this forum so we can hear about the Raptor and if you have any problems with it or if you don’t have any problems with it ( I hope you have the latter ) .

Users who are viewing this thread