5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constitutional carry

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
Starting June 1st Florida allows non concealed weapon permit holders to conceal carry guns. No matter where you’re from. As long as you’re not a convicted felon or have an injunction against you, anyone can carry concealed.

Im curious to hear some input as I’m not sure how I feel. I’m definitely pro gun, but the argument to me is “what if we have a bunch of people that aren’t trained or have common sense?” My thinking is, “well, that’s on them to go over their head in that responsibility.”

To purchase a gun you still have to go through a 3-day waiting period and a background check. People are mislead to believe that wont happen anymore. What are your thoughts?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Starting June 1st Florida allows non concealed weapon permit holders to conceal carry guns. No matter where you’re from. As long as you’re not a convicted felon or have an injunction against you, anyone can carry concealed.

Im curious to hear some input as I’m not sure how I feel. I’m definitely pro gun, but the argument to me is “what if we have a bunch of people that aren’t trained or have common sense?” My thinking is, “well, that’s on them to go over their head in that responsibility.”

To purchase a gun you still have to go through a 3-day waiting period and a background check. People are mislead to believe that wont happen anymore. What are your thoughts?
Nebraska just approved constitutional carry, but it doesn't take effect until August. It even had liberal support due to them feeling the low income POC communities were discriminated against with the current laws for conceal carry due to cost of having to take the class and paying for initial permit.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
Nebraska just approved constitutional carry, but it doesn't take effect until August. It even had liberal support due to them feeling the low income POC communities were discriminated against with the current laws for conceal carry due to cost of having to take the class and paying for initial permit.

How do you feel about it?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Realistically, I don't think it will have a huge impact. It's not going to turn into the wild west with everyone carrying a side arm. There are more people carrying illegally right now then you ever know about. Bad guys will still get their hands on guns they aren't supposed to

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
Absolutely. I mean I’m glad to save $75 for my wife to carry. Been to the range multiple times with her but never got around for the application. When I got my permit the wait was about 3 months. I’ve heard some it was 6 months. So that’s a plus.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely. I mean I’m glad to save $75 for my wife to carry. Been to the range multiple times with her but never got around for the application. When I got my permit the wait was about 3 months. I’ve heard some it was 6 months. So that’s a plus.
I will still maintain my CCW permit as it allows reciprocity carry in other states that haven't enacted constitutional carry yet

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Here in mini commiefornia, CT politicians are pushing to ban open carry in an effort to curb gun violence lol. Apparently the dip$h!ts running this state (into the ground) think criminals committing the crimes open carry their illegally obtained guns

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Today you hear the phrase "that's unconstitutional" a lot for things that are not referenced in our constitution. Why should we not have constitutional carry? Having the government not infringe on this right is explicitly spelled out.

The "training" for a CCP is laughable so what difference does it make. As has been pointed out, criminals who would use a firearm are not getting a permit. Many states have constitutional carry and they have much lower crime stats than states with strict gun laws. Vermont has had it for a long time. You don't see bodies on the street in Montpelier like in Chicago.

We should have this everywhere.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I think that the over use of "that's unconstitutional" is on purpose to dilute the legitimate arguments or "bite" about unconsitutional gun laws in order to make those of us that defend the Constitution have less credibility with the general public. Just think about how many people are already rolling their eyes and saying "not this chit again" when it comes up.

Robman700

Reaction score
I’m lucky enough to live in a state that passed this a few years ago. I’m glad to see more state’s follow this . Training or not that’s not up to the government to decide, It’s are 2nd amendment right, and Are God giving right to be able to protect ourselves!

HemiDude

Reaction score
I don't think it will be as bad as people would like to make it out to be. As has already been stated, bad people aren't following rules anyway, so why not allow it to be easier for normal people to defend themselves.

As far as a "waiting period", in Ohio that is only for guns purchased through a dealer or retailer. Person-to-person purchases are not regulated, or even tracked, so that law is almost a moot point. I would imagine other states are similar.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I don't think it will be as bad as people would like to make it out to be. As has already been stated, bad people aren't following rules anyway, so why not allow it to be easier for normal people to defend themselves.

As far as a "waiting period", in Ohio that is only for guns purchased through a dealer or retailer. Person-to-person purchases are not regulated, or even tracked, so that law is almost a moot point. I would imagine other states are similar.
Virginia was this way with person to person transactions. Then our state constitution was gutted by the last administration. We voted in a solid red administration that even hat a Lieutenant Governor posing with an AR like she was going to get our rights back in place.

The gutless fools have done nothing. You have to go to an FFL for private transactions running all the checks with paperwork (that is being illegally kept by the ATF) and fees. Supposedly......

n8zcc

Reaction score
I feel that everyone should understand and learn how to safely handle all firearms (rifles, shotguns, pistols, revolvers, etc.). How to handle, how to use, and when to use are different. Those that want to carry a firearm should seek training but I am against the government forcing training. That historically brings out the fortune seekers and then you have a crowded field that needs to be vetted so you can find competent training.

There are excellent classes that cover many self-defense scenarios from home invasion to carjacking, to street robbery. I've taken these classes and continue to do so albeit I seldom carry a firearm simply because I don't go near the areas where crime is. But carrying a firearm is my choice, the government should have no say in it.

I hope crime never comes to the rural areas but then again, everyone out here is armed to the hilt.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Private party sales here in CT have to be moderated by a licensed dealer for a fee so they can file the paperwork with the state as if it was purchased through the dealer.

seansmd

Reaction score
Private party sales here in CT have to be moderated by a licensed dealer for a fee so they can file the paperwork with the state as if it was purchased through the dealer.
I think ct is more restrictive than ca, cant even buy ammo without a permit I believe.

CC shouldnbe universal as should OC, but the latter offers no value outside of hiking and hunting IMO. Not a fan of advertising my situation.

kzielu

Reaction score
I don't know - I felt like CCW class in OH has some reasonable coverage on the law - which most people had no clue about it (it changed since then from duty to retreat to stand your ground) - but that knowledge can someone from literally committing murder.

In a reality, only thing that constitutional carry did was take business away from places doing CCW classes. They were probably quite mad but being gun places couldn't really say ****. LOL.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would say the only reason I'd support some form of training, is simply to inform people of the laws pertaining to gun use. For instance, you should know whether your state has a castle doctrine, stand your ground, duty to retreat.... Nebraska is duty to retreat. But I'm sure a lot of people don't know that. Or even know what that means.

Another nice thing with me actually having my CCW permit is I can walk into any place that sells guns, and walk out the same day with my weapon. Having already had a thorough background check for the permits I can forego the waiting period

Users who are viewing this thread