5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Console Vault - In Vehicle Safe Review

Cortesio

Reaction score
One of the many things I love about my truck is the well thought out center console. One of the first things I wanted to do was install a lock box in the cavernous but unused area under the arm rest in the console. There seem to be a few manufacturers that make fairly similar designs.

I originally looked at the Lock’er Down offering but wasn’t thrilled that it looked like I would have to break those tabs in the console and cut the rubber mat to still use it. From what I saw with the Mopar branded box, it was only available with a key lock which didn’t interest me. Leaving the key in the truck defeats the purpose and not having the key on me when I needed it wasn’t worth the chance to me.

The Console Vault model caught my eye because it had notches to fit around those tabs and didn’t need anything cut or removed from the console to fit. The available combination lock and spring-loaded lid fit exactly what I was looking for. I didn’t see a lot about this particular brand around the forum (which I don’t know if that is good or bad) so I thought I’d share my experience for anyone in a similar position trying to make a decision.

I ordered the Console Vault with the 3 digit lock directly from their website. It shipped quickly (I’m spoiled by one-day shipping from Amazon and almost dread ordering other places...which I feel like is exactly what Amazon wants me to think) and got to me in just a few days.

434D4DFC-229A-4B25-B86D-A2117ED8F072.jpeg
It was packaged nice and secure and had a fair heft to it. Console Vault doesn’t list a specific metal thickness but it is definitely stout enough that it would require tools and a fair bit of force to deform. The eagle-eyed among you will notice I was shipped the 4 digit lock (a $35 option when ordering) instead of the 3 digit lock. I don’t know if there’s a physical difference in lock strength between the two but the site does say the 4 digit is “higher security” and “all metal construction“...whether that makes the other lock low security and not all metal I can’t say.

9FAC2F8F-7CB6-4AA2-BD72-503AFD872768.jpeg

Installation was literally drop-in. Like I said, no modification or tab breaking was needed. There’s two decent sized self-tapping screws on each side that secure the vault in place. The flip-up divider in the console doesn’t need to be removed. You just put it in the raised position and the front side of vault fits tightly behind it.

The sliding tray in the console works without issue. It is noted on the site that Longhorn and Limited trucks won’t be so lucky.

3341E237-00D3-4C2F-B747-5FEC0825442F.jpeg

Here you can see a Glock 19 for scale. It’s plenty spacious enough to toss in a couple more full size handguns or anything else you might want to lock up. It still has the factory mat underneath. The spring loaded hinge lifts and holds the lid out of the way.

Also visible are two of the four screws. I was pleasantly surprised that there weren’t just screw holes but actual threaded inserts welded to the inside vault walls. This made installing the screws incredibly easy and kept them exactly perpendicular to the wall. Additionally, this virtually eliminates any chance of being able to lift the whole vault out of the console without removing the screws. There’s no way for the screws to pivot and pull out of the plastic of the console. The screws would either need to shear off outside the vault or cut four paths through the console all the of the way out. In my opinion it’s just a small detail that could have easily been omitted but instead speaks to the build quality.

On the subject of build quality, the lid is well-designed and fits tight enough to the frame that a pry tool can’t be inserted. I’m sure a tool could be hammered in but the shape of the lid would result in more lateral pry force than the vertical direction needed to pry the lid up. On the front side of the vault where the lid closes and latches, there’s a lip that would limit the depth a tool could be inserted and would also resist the edge of the lid being folded in to create an area a pry tool could hook onto and lift from.

In my uneducated opinion, the most likely point of attack and the weakest part of the vault is the lock. I have seen a video someone made of a defeated Console Vault and the lock was indeed the failure point. On that particular model of truck the vault appeared to sit higher and closer to the armrest lid which allowed more angles to try and get leverage for prying than the deep consoles in our trucks would. The vault was pretty beat up but the thief was eventually able to access it by punching the lock through the lid and down into the vault.

The pivoting lock bar was connected to the shaft of the lock with a clearly MIM part that broke. A solid steel connection would have bent and not failed in the same way. That said, I doubt that alone would have changed the outcome. Once the lock was punched through the lid the lock bar could be pulled out if it hadn’t broken off. I don’t know if that was the “new and improved” lock touted on the website, but regardless I still feel the lock is the biggest vulnerability.

Any locked container can be defeated by the right combination of tools, time, and talent. I am confident this vault would survive a smash-and-grab or any other thief short of one who came prepared with the right tools and didn’t care about making a lot of noise.

For $270 I got a nicely built lock box made from sufficiently thick steel and a well-thought out design that fits perfectly in the truck while being smartly shaped to dissuade virtually every possible angle of attack.

I hope this information was helpful and let me know if I can answer any questions or if more pictures arewanted.

jshemmy

Reaction score
awesome detailed review, you sure you do not work from the manufacturer?

I was thinking of getting one of these and you just sold me on it.

going to order now, thanks again

I think you mentioned a web link but I will find it

Cortesio

Reaction score
awesome detailed review, you sure you do not work from the manufacturer?

I was thinking of getting one of these and you just sold me on it.

going to order now, thanks again

I think you mentioned a web link but I will find it

Definitely don’t work for them. I make toothbrushes for a living. I can’t even ask for a freebie from them since I already bought it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cortesio

Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I saw these online and was curious about them. It seems that Lock'er Down is the most widely used; its good to see some alternatives.

Thanks. That’s why I wrote it up. Didn’t see much information about them here especially compared to the Lock’er Down and I’m happy I went with the one I did. There’s probably not a vast difference in security between the two but the difference in installation was big to me. I’m only a few weeks removed from buying my fancy pants truck and it was definitely a negative for me to start hacking up the console and breaking off bits of plastic. If I ever pulled the vault out I’d only need a couple plastic plugs for the holes (if I even wanted to bother with that).

U

User_21361

Thanks for the write up. Did you look at Tuffy at all? Their version seems like it has a similar install. I had some of their stuff in my old Wrangler and loved it. The console vault looks solid and I'm curious about any differences (especially for 100$ more).

Cortesio

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. Did you look at Tuffy at all? Their version seems like it has a similar install. I had some of their stuff in my old Wrangler and loved it. The console vault looks solid and I'm curious about any differences (especially for 100$ more).

I didn’t give it a lot of consideration because I think it only comes keyed. The more I look at it, the more I’m glad I passed on it. I’m thinking about their under seat locker, but I would pass on this console insert.

The Tuffy has folding “legs” instead of the welded body of the Console Vault. It has four screws into the bottom of the console and two screws in the back. If you could drive a pry bar between the back of the frame and the console itself, it wouldn’t be hard to pull it out. The back side is hinged for shipping and wouldn’t resist prying or bending inwards so you’re relying on the pullout strength of two small screws in the plastic console back. Otherwise if you could insert a pry bar between the flat front and the lid you could probably bend it far enough to defeat the lock.

I did some more looking on the Console Vault site and they say the vault is 12ga steel versus the 16ga of the Tuffy.

U

User_21361

I didn’t give it a lot of consideration because I think it only comes keyed. The more I look at it, the more I’m glad I passed on it. I’m thinking about their under seat locker, but I would pass on this console insert.

The Tuffy has folding “legs” instead of the welded body of the Console Vault. It has four screws into the bottom of the console and two screws in the back. If you could drive a pry bar between the back of the frame and the console itself, it wouldn’t be hard to pull it out. The back side is hinged for shipping and wouldn’t resist prying or bending inwards so you’re relying on the pullout strength of two small screws in the plastic console back. Otherwise if you could insert a pry bar between the flat front and the lid you could probably bend it far enough to defeat the lock.

I did some more looking on the Console Vault site and they say the vault is 12ga steel versus the 16ga of the Tuffy.

Thanks for the concise and thoughtful feedback. A quick note, you can buy a 3 digit combo lock for an extra $20 for the Tuffy. Awesome insight on the construction. The console vault sight doesn't show the structure outside of the installed location which made it hard to compare.

jshemmy

Reaction score
Awesome, after reading tour review I bought one and said it would be here friday!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cortesio

Reaction score
Thanks for the concise and thoughtful feedback. A quick note, you can buy a 3 digit combo lock for an extra $20 for the Tuffy. Awesome insight on the construction. The console vault sight doesn't show the structure outside of the installed location which made it hard to compare.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know a combo lock was available, but I wonder if it interferes with the sliding tray. Tuffy's site says you can't slide the cup holder to the rear with the key inserted.

I probably should have thought to get some more pictures of the actual vault itself before I put it in. Calling any of this style of lock box an actual "box" is a bit of a misnomer. All of them are more of locking covers with sides and no bottom. If you're familiar with Stack-On gun cabinets, I'd bet their construction is pretty similar to the Tuffy. Thinner steel sheet metal bent and tab welded to make a box. Definitely will work to keep prying hands off what's inside but almost useless against any sort of tool.

The Lock'er Down comes in 3 varieties. There's the LD2078 that is very similar in style and construction to the single option from Console Vault. It's roughly the same price with the 4 digit lock being standard. They also have the LD2078L which is a lower profile version of the first and would be perfect for anyone in a Longhorn or Limited with the fancy cup holders. The LD2078EX is a beefed up version of the first that comes with an extra 10 gauge plate welded into the lid for reinforcement. It's an pretty reasonable $50 extra over the other two. You can also get an electronic number lock on each of them for an extra $150.

Security wise, I'm sure the Lock'er Down and Console Vault models are pretty even. In my estimation it looks like the lock is the weak point on all of them. The vaults from these two companies have similar construction and reinforcements to mitigate prying on the lid or body, but the locks are all a basic rotating tab. For $250-350 though, you can't really expect a more robust lock with something like multiple solid steel pins or anything like that. If I wanted to get in to either brand of these vaults I would grab a nice hefty punch and a try to hammer the lock through the lid into the interior. All bets are off for all of them in the thief shows up with a battery powered angle grinder and a cutting wheel.

The thing that put me over the edge towards Console Vault over the Lock'er Down really came down to installation. I think the screw mounting of the Console Vault is superior and the biggest plus for me was that I didn't need to break or cut anything in the console to get it to fit. But if the Console Vault wasn't available, I'm sure I'd be just as happy with the Lock'er Down vaults.

Reverse

Reaction score
Just a note from a Limited owner: if you need a similar setup for the Limited, LockrDown has a safe for the Limited center console (where the sliding tray is larger than in other models). No need to break tabs there either: just remove the little divider and cut the rubber mat to size.

That safe is smaller than the one for non-Limited trucks, bit still holds a full-size pistol.

WV Bubba

Reaction score
Just installed the Lock'r Down in my Longhorn. Like I can still slide the cup holders back.
a9aaaccd881a01ebbf435c730d9bea89.jpg
5acd13c8c4e8650f1ce946022011ca7e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
Overall I'm very pleased with my Console Vault. Shipping was fast and instillation was pretty straight forward. I spray painted the mounting bolts black to match the interior.

I went with the 3 digit lock since it looked easier to unlock in an emergency situation. Fits my compact perfectly with room for extra ammo!

Attachments

• IMG_20200512_171247.jpg
    IMG_20200512_171247.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20200512_171544.jpg
    IMG_20200512_171544.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 246

djbdb

Reaction score
Hey just so you guys know, you will lose the option of sliding the try all the way back with this company. Lockr down has a version where it sits low enough so you can still slide the tray all the way back. This pertains to the Limited like i have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YellowSled

Reaction score
Hey just so you guys know, you will lose the option of sliding the try all the way back with this company. Lockr down has a version where it sits low enough so you can still slide the tray all the way back. This pertains to the Limited like i have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
they now have a limited/longhorn version that allows it to slide all the way back now.

Users who are viewing this thread