5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

Adrian052

Reaction score
Anyone interested in getting this?

I, for one, do not have the ability or skill to program all of this., but I am definitely ready for it.

djjr50

Reaction score
Website shows it's not compatible with the 5th gen Ram 1500.

However, I am not a programmer and cant imagine how many lines of code you'd have to go through to make things work. I'd settle for a glorified SuperCruise that works on highways only. But I am really interested in seeing how someone would interface with the vehicle driving systems. I imagine those are LOCKED DOWN.

jimchi

Reaction score
I lurked in the Openpilot discord channel for awhile before I bought - they are interested in getting a DT owner to build an interface and test the Comma.ai. I figured it would be something i’d be interested in after having the truck for a bit longer - especially since Consumer Reports rated it higher than SuperCruise on their testing.

@djjr50, the Comma.ai device is a small android based system that splices into the windshield mounted front camera using a T connector, and sends steering commands via the OBD port. For most other FCA vehicles, it uses factory adaptive cruise, but the vehicle must have lanesense. I also figure a security gateway bypass would be needed to enable the steering commands from the device.

Upandaway420

Reaction score
It is brand new to open pilot and a community supported port so it isn't perfect but it works! And the more people who use it then the higher the chances for official support are.

djjr50

Reaction score
Oh man... do I have some news for you. Open pilot works on RAM! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oyiiLsG5oXGtFkJMdLI2CP76zOdzBpTP/view?usp=sharing

It is brand new to open pilot and a community supported port so it isn't perfect but it works! And the more people who use it then the higher the chances for official support are.
Nice. Better yet, awesome!
If you buy the hardware, how do you integrate with Open Pilot and how do you contribute? If you're not a developer, what is your obligation?

Upandaway420

Reaction score
It requires you to build the wiring harness, which isn't too difficult. But I am building one for somebody from the discord once they send it to me. I would recommend checking out the discord. There is a Wiki page and in it, it shows what you will need to do for a RAM 1500. And the obligation is that you enjoy Open Pilot! https://discord.com/channels/469524606043160576/525364884410728462

Upandaway420

Reaction score
Website shows it's not compatible with the 5th gen Ram 1500.

However, I am not a programmer and cant imagine how many lines of code you'd have to go through to make things work. I'd settle for a glorified SuperCruise that works on highways only. But I am really interested in seeing how someone would interface with the vehicle driving systems. I imagine those are LOCKED DOWN.
Lots of lines of codes and check engine lights/LKAS fault lights... development has been going on for about 3 months. The worst part was trying to decipher CAN BUS data, it was viewed as raw computer language i.e. hexadecimal and binary 1's and 0's and we had to figure out what specific signals were like the gas pedal, brake pedal, ACC brake... the list goes on and on and there are over 200 signals on that CAN BUS.

Limited Bob

Reaction score
It requires you to build the wiring harness, which isn't too difficult. But I am building one for somebody from the discord once they send it to me. I would recommend checking out the discord. There is a Wiki page and in it, it shows what you will need to do for a RAM 1500. And the obligation is that you enjoy Open Pilot! https://discord.com/channels/469524606043160576/525364884410728462
What is the name of the discord channel? I get no results when I use the link. Never used Discord before tho.

Upandaway420

Reaction score
What is the name of the discord channel? I get no results when I use the link. Never used Discord before tho.
Ah yes I am new to discord too and I forgot you need to accept the invite to be able to join the channel. You can find the invite link at discord.comma.ai

Limited Bob

Reaction score
Ah yes I am new to discord too and I forgot you need to accept the invite to be able to join the channel. You can find the invite link at discord.comma.ai
Excellent thanks. That worked and the faq on the page is very helpful. I'll be moving forward on this for sure. Thanks for doing the legwork on this. Legend!!

Upandaway420

Reaction score
Excellent thanks. That worked and the faq on the page is very helpful. I'll be moving forward on this for sure. Thanks for doing the legwork on this. Legend!!
I have received tremendous help from the discord community and I want to pay it forward so I would like to help how I can to help the port gain popularity!

eric.ensley1

Reaction score
I just bought a '21 limited just for the ACC & LKA because I KNEW commia ai was coming!!!! THANK YOU! Once it is available on the commia ai web site I am going to buy one. It is for my wife's car so I can't jerry rig something. Needs to look some what polished.

Awesome work!!!!
Eric

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

glasswagon

Reaction score
I just bought a '21 limited just for the ACC & LKA because I KNEW commia ai was coming!!!! THANK YOU! Once it is available on the commia ai web site I am going to buy one. It is for my wife's car so I can't jerry rig something. Needs to look some what polished.

Awesome work!!!!
Eric

Yeah, hopefully wouldn't be too long to be available on commia ai, but wouldn't be surprise if it takes a year or more. Things like this takes a while with software then mass producing the harness. I hope i'm wrong *fingers cross*

Upandaway420

Reaction score
I bought my truck in January and found Comma in February and bought the C2 on a whim hoping to find help porting the truck. And I got a TON of help from the online community. And yes it will be quite some time before it is "officially" community supported. We still haven't touched Longitudinal control so it uses stock ACC. We will be experimenting with it in the future and it will be the only FCA vehicle (I think) that can utilize it. It will be capable of stop sign and stop light recognition once comma gets that feature working. I may buy several harnesses and build them to sell if that is the reason people don't want to try it out. But right now I'll build them with free labor if you send me the parts. And the software isn't causing any check engine/LKAS faults at this time.

eric.ensley1

Reaction score
Which version of harness is required? I was hoping it would be the same as the pacifica, but no idea.

Upandaway420

Reaction score
Which version of harness is required? I was hoping it would be the same as the pacifica, but no idea.

the main hardware you buy from comma.ai (https://comma.ai/shop/products/comma-two-devkit) and you will buy the comma 2 and the development car harness (no connectors). https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...!150819&parId=9F326E228C8C4419!150787&o=OneUp from that document you will need to buy the camera side female housing 3-2098269-1 (I bought mine off of mouser.com). I have the DuPont connectors and pins left over from when I built my harness. The flashing light is from the frame rate of the cell phone camera makes it appear to flash, it is the auto climate control button and I swear it does not flash in person. Lol. Also the front camera is a mirror image which is why the truck appears to be right drive. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...ulp3V8zca8sdMkHFtvEhOH+qaVTjBXXmgzRYmeDdg== this is the camera plug you'll need. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...ha2pyFadui8rfBTfcZgWza1OmQGD5gFeIE2g+clCdw= those will be for the female pins in the camera plug. https://www.amazon.com/QLOUNI-Crimp...rds=QLOUNI+2.54mm+Pitch&qid=1617801391&sr=8-3 this kit can be used to build the male side of the harness. And the crimper works for both pins.

^ This is a crosspost from 2 different posts in the self driving 1500 limited thread
It is a custom built harness but luckily it only has 4 wires and it is easy to build

Last edited:

Adrian052

Reaction score
Could you post a list of parts with part #’s?
Your links didn’t bring me anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread