5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

StringNH

Reaction score
Can you get some close up pix of the connectors? The one to the car looks
like you used pins in a connector designed for recepticles. I have the Parts
in my Mouser Cart and i want to make sure I did not miss anything.

Thanks

Malodave
I finally got my Comma two running today. Here is a couple of pictures of the harness that I made. 20210808_192618.jpg 20210808_192740.jpg 20210808_192758.jpg 20210808_192851.jpg 20210808_192814.jpg

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I finally got the Comma two working in my truck this morning. It took many hours of tinkering and research over the last 2 weeks to get everything sorted out. The hardware and wiring was easy enough for me but I needed quite a bit of help from the Comma.ai Discord members to figure out how to install and configure Openpilot for my truck. It's not hard to do but I had no knowledge in that area, plus there were a few extra hurdles to overcome, it had not yet been set up for the ecodiesel, so they made a few custom changes to the code. Now the ecodiesel is good to go. They were very generous and helpful. I Drove almost 400 miles today with the comma two doing most of the work on the interstate. In its current iteration, what you get is basically a hands free cruise control. I am very pleased with how it is working so far.
Been watching it on the Discord. Good job. Waiting to see a few more things worked out, then will probably pull the trigger.

Adrian052

Reaction score
My Comma came in the mail yesterday, and now i am just waiting on my Mouser order to put it all together.

vegasandre

Reaction score
Hmm. I would love my ACC to be able to stay in the center lane . Not sure why lane assist just bounces off the lanes..and doesn't center the truck.
since I am not savy enough to do something like this on my own.. not even would I risk it.
I am wondering if Ram eventually will have a retrofit for current owners with ACC/lane assist? it would seem like everything is there to make this work easily?
If I were to go this route I would have to hire someone to build and install it.

davekeller79

Reaction score
Any updates on how this is all going? I am about to collect a 2019 limited and am considering this.

StringNH

Reaction score
Are you able to post the links of what you had to download on the Comma? Or better yet a step by step guide.

Thanks
Best place to learn more about this is on the comma discord. It's a messaging app containing everything about the comma and the openpilot software. I knew absolutely nothing about this stuff last month when I bought my truck. I finally got it working properly on Monday. I have now logged about 1100 miles with it, next week should see about another 1500 miles. I'm loving it so far. If you check out the discord, you will see the whole conversation and process I went through to get it running. You will also find everything else about the comma system.

If and when comma.ai officially supports the Ram, it will be a very simple process. That's what we are all hoping for on the discord. The more Rams successfully running the comma, the quicker official support should come. As of now,
I'm not aware of complete step by step instructions anywhere yet but there is a .pdf that was created by a discord member that steps through the correct software fork install. He provided a tremendous amount of help to me and others. They are great people and very helpful.

Adrian052

Reaction score
Best place to learn more about this is on the comma discord. It's a messaging app containing everything about the comma and the openpilot software. I knew absolutely nothing about this stuff last month when I bought my truck. I finally got it working properly on Monday. I have now logged about 1100 miles with it, next week should see about another 1500 miles. I'm loving it so far. If you check out the discord, you will see the whole conversation and process I went through to get it running. You will also find everything else about the comma system.

If and when comma.ai officially supports the Ram, it will be a very simple process. That's what we are all hoping for on the discord. The more Rams successfully running the comma, the quicker official support should come. As of now,
I'm not aware of complete step by step instructions anywhere yet but there is a .pdf that was created by a discord member that steps through the correct software fork install. He provided a tremendous amount of help to me and others. They are great people and very helpful.
Man, the discord is pretty confusing. I don't know how people keep up with it. I have the Comma all wired up and installed, and now just need to figure out how to dowload the fork through SSH?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finally got my Comma two running today. Here is a couple of pictures of the harness that I made. View attachment 103106 View attachment 103107 View attachment 103108 View attachment 103109 View attachment 103110

OK, I see what you have for the Molex header, There are pins sticking out of a Receptical Housing.

I have the individual part numbers if anyone needs them.

Molex Receptical housing 22-55-2103

Molex Contact Pins Wrong pins

Two questions.

How long are the Wires and Gauge size? Info not on the PDF Document.

Does it matter what side the the small connectors are going to the large Connector?

I have the Parts except for these two.

Malodave

Last edited:

StringNH

Reaction score
OK, I see what you have for the Molex header, There are pins sticking out of a Receptical Housing.

I have the individual part numbers if anyone needs them.

Molex Receptical housing 22-55-2103

Molex Contact Pins 501-828-0101

Two questions.

How long are the Wires and Gauge size? Info not on the PDF Document.

Does it matter what side the the small connectors are going to the large Connector?

I have the Parts except for these two.

Malodave
The wires are 26AWG, they are about 6 inch long.

I don't understand the second question " Does it matter what side the the small connectors are going to the large Connector? "

The large white connector is keyed so you must follow the pinout in the diagram. The small molex connector, is not keyed so when you plug it into the vehicle harness, you need to match it up to the existing wiring.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The wires are 26AWG, they are about 6 inch long.

I don't understand the second question " Does it matter what side the the small connectors are going to the large Connector? "

The large white connector is keyed so you must follow the pinout in the diagram. The small molex connector, is not keyed so when you plug it into the vehicle harness, you need to match it up to the existing wiring.

For the wires , does it matter which side of the Large white connector each of the other connectors go.,
or do they just need to connect to the canbus?

Malodave

Sorry, I have been Moving my stuff out of my Apartment the
past 4 days. So I am now officially Homeless. I guess it is time to
make my cardboard "Homeless" Sign and stand out on the street
corner like other people.

StringNH

Reaction score
For the wires , does it matter which side of the Large white connector each of the other connectors go.,
or do they just need to connect to the canbus?

Malodave

Sorry, I have been Moving my stuff out of my Apartment the
past 4 days. So I am now officially Homeless. I guess it is time to
make my cardboard "Homeless" Sign and stand out on the street
corner like other people.
I don't know for sure if it matters but I would assume it does. One side has terminator loop, the other does not. It is keyed to plug into the Comma header. I made mine to match the pin numbers on the diagram. All I can say for sure is that mine works. Copy my harness in the pictures I posted and you should be good to go.

Let me know what street corner you will be holding your sign on. I drive by and toss you a shiny nickel 🤑

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me know what street corner you will be holding your sign on. I drive by and toss you a shiny nickel 🤑

I was thinking of making the sign that says:

"Homeless for PAYING Rent"

I am not asking for any Money. Then sit outside my old Apartment.
Right now i will be using a blow up mattress and Staying at my work.
Boss OK'd it already. Need to get a Membership at a Gym so I have
someplace to Shower and stuff. Putting together Magnetic Business
Signs for my Trucks so I get no Hassle from the Warehouse Owners.

Malodave

Last edited:

floyo

Reaction score
If you buy the comma 2 and developer harness you don't need much else. I got one connector and pins from mouser and then the Crimp tool kit from Amazon. Didn't have time to finish today. I have extra connectors if you need them. I'm at the lake now. If I get home early enough on Sunday I'm going to finish it then. If it works I'll send pictures and you can come check it out, if you want. I got extra connectors, if I don't need them, you can use them.
Hi StringNH,

Could you confirm that if I have the Developer Harness from the Comma2, I don't need to build the harness by myself, correct? The next step will be simply adding the RAM branch of the Openpilot to the Comma2? thank you!

StringNH

Reaction score
Hi StringNH,

Could you confirm that if I have the Developer Harness from the Comma2, I don't need to build the harness by myself, correct? The next step will be simply adding the RAM branch of the Openpilot to the Comma2? thank you!
The developer harness only has the connector going to the comma device. This connector has wires coming out of it but are empty on the other end. You will need to add the 2 connectors that attach to the truck harness.

floyo

Reaction score
The developer harness only has the connector going to the comma device. This connector has wires coming out of it but are empty on the other end. You will need to add the 2 connectors that attach to the truck harness.
Thank you StringNH for clearing it all up for me. I have just put the orders on Mouser and Amazon for the parts and tools, I will keep you posted on the project.
Cheers!

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
String, do you have a part # for the male pins from Mouser, and the crimp tool from Amazon? Have the dev harness on the way and just need to get the rest of what I need. Thnx

Last edited:

StringNH

Reaction score
String, do you have a part # for the male pins from Mouser, and the crimp tool from Amazon? Have the dev harness on the way and just need to get the rest of what I need. Thnx
This is what I ordered from mouser. I got extra, just in case I F'ed it up.

connector
Mouser #:571-3-2098269-1
Mfr. #:3-2098269-1
Desc.:Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors 10P Plug ASSY (2x5), Gener

pins
Mouser #:571-2035170-1
Mfr. #:2035170-1
Desc.:Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors Contact, female, 0.64, 20-22, C

This is the kit from Amazon. I think this kit has the correct pins for the mouser connector but never really compared so I got the ones that I knew would work from Mouser.

QLOUNI 2.54mm Pitch JST SM Pins & SN-28B Crimping Tools Dupont 620Pcs 1 2 3 4 5 6 Pin Housing Connector Male Female Crimp Pins Adaptor Assortment Kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DZB8NDW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_2P7Z038QEYFTVNHA9WFN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I ordered from mouser. I got extra, just in case I F'ed it up.

connector
Mouser #:571-3-2098269-1
Mfr. #:3-2098269-1
Desc.:Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors 10P Plug ASSY (2x5), Gener

pins
Mouser #:571-2035170-1
Mfr. #:2035170-1
Desc.:Automotive Connectors Automotive Connectors Contact, female, 0.64, 20-22, C

This is the kit from Amazon. I think this kit has the correct pins for the mouser connector but never really compared so I got the ones that I knew would work from Mouser.

QLOUNI 2.54mm Pitch JST SM Pins & SN-28B Crimping Tools Dupont 620Pcs 1 2 3 4 5 6 Pin Housing Connector Male Female Crimp Pins Adaptor Assortment Kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DZB8NDW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_2P7Z038QEYFTVNHA9WFN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you sir.
My harness just shipped today, so Will build the harness and go from there.
What about the other connecter? Did you use one from the Amazon kit?
Looks like I will be getting the C3, but waiting to see how it shakes out. You guys are doing a fantastic job of getting it running. Can always use My C2 and reset to factory and do a RAM install with it if I get antsy.

Users who are viewing this thread