5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

Upandaway420

Reaction score
Could you post a list of parts with part #’s?
Your links didn’t bring me anywhere.
Well fudge, I'm not sure why they are working like that... don't worry I didn't do 90% of the programing! Haha. Manufacturers part numbers: CAMERA SIDE: 3-2098269-1 (female housing) 2035170-1 (crimp terminal, 4 required) Also lets see if I can successfully link a web page https://github.com/commaai/openpilot/wiki/FCA That should get you to all of the information you will need including wiring diagrams.

tdb0021

Reaction score
We have openpilot running quite well on a 2021 and 2019. Most of the legwork has already been done, so now it’s just a tuning an tweaking game.

pascalguertin

Reaction score
Hello I have purchased the comma 2, i have made the harness and have everything connected however it says vehicle not supported. is there some software tricks i need to do other than load the standarrd openpilot?

tdb0021

Reaction score
Hello I have purchased the comma 2, i have made the harness and have everything connected however it says vehicle not supported. is there some software tricks i need to do other than load the standarrd openpilot?

yes. You need to install a different version. Have you joined the discord?

JayBuchanan

Reaction score
Any updates on this project and how things are working?

Jay Buchanan
21 RAM 1500 Limited
Harmon Kardon Stereo
JL Audio VX600/1i
JL Audio StealthBox - 12TW3

Madmaxt

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this will work on 2020 3500 6.7 dually diesel? I have adaptive cruise and safety package, with lane sense and adaptive steering. System works quite well.....pretty amazing stock but would love advanced features on openpilot!

I really love what yall are doing with your trucks! What a cool movement to be apart of! One day the youngsters will look back and say "Man the cowboys back then had to build their own harness and develop software for FSD!"

Thanks Guys!

tdb0021

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this will work on 2020 3500 6.7 dually diesel? I have adaptive cruise and safety package, with lane sense and adaptive steering. System works quite well.....pretty amazing stock but would love advanced features on openpilot!

I really love what yall are doing with your trucks! What a cool movement to be apart of! One day the youngsters will look back and say "Man the cowboys back then had to build their own harness and develop software for FSD!"

Thanks Guys!

Not a lot of trials on 2500/3500s yet. In theory it can work. I don't think anyone has had the opportunity to test/develop it yet. I do know that it's different than the 1500. So while the 1500 is virtually plug and play at this point, the HD Rams would take some leg work first.

tdb0021

Reaction score
Any updates on this project and how things are working?

Jay Buchanan
21 RAM 1500 Limited
Harmon Kardon Stereo
JL Audio VX600/1i
JL Audio StealthBox - 12TW3

Not much changed over the last 2-3 months. There's about 8-10 Rams i'm aware of that's running Open Pilot on a daily basis, including me.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been keeping an eye in all this, Just a short for y'all that are interested;

2019+ Ram 1500 with ACC and LaneSense​

Owners of Ram 1500's interested in making Openpilot work with their trucks would need a Comma two (c2) and Dev Harness, outfitted with connectors as found in this document: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AhlEjIwibjKfiZojQ_EU934HfcvMHA?e=mOVWBh. Discord user Tunder has a working fork for Ram 1500's. It is in active development, and does NOT conform to comma's safety standards. It has working lateral control as of March 28, 2021. Ram 1500 owners are encouraged to contribute to the development and upstreaming of the Ram port to comma's openpilot repo as a community supported vehicle. The software can be found here: https://github.com/Tundergit/waifupilot.git, branch 082-testing. Use of this fork is entirely at your own risk, and nobody but you is responsible for anything that happens as a result of the use of any documents or software linked on this page.

Ram 2500 and 3500's equipped with Active LaneSense may also be eligible candidates, late models have an electric assist motor that may be actuable.

Ram models with the radar behind the mirror may be openpilot longitudinal support eligble, and is something that will be investigated in the future.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a photo of the finished harness
Can you get some close up pix of the connectors? The one to the car looks
like you used pins in a connector designed for recepticles. I have the Parts
in my Mouser Cart and i want to make sure I did not miss anything.

Thanks

Malodave

StringNH

Reaction score
Can you get some close up pix of the connectors? The one to the car looks
like you used pins in a connector designed for recepticles. I have the Parts
in my Mouser Cart and i want to make sure I did not miss anything.

Thanks

Malodave
Hey Malodave. looks like we are neighbors. I'm up here in Manchester, NH. Maybe we can tag team this if needed. I am also trying to make the harness. I have purchased the comma 2 and I believe all the correct connectors. I have a diagram to make the connectors but the diagram doesn't match the picture. The harness I got from comma has an orange loopback wire in pins 3 and 5, like in the picture. The diagram has grey loop between pin 23 and 25. not sure what is correct or if it even matters.
wire harness.jpg

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am looking for a new place to live right now. My landlord sold the Building out
from under me after nearly 25 Years. I work as an Electronic Tech in Hollis NH. So
I have most if not all the gear to make these. I have the parts in my Mouser Cart
for 10 Units, except the wires.

MaloDave

StringNH

Reaction score
I am looking for a new place to live right now. My landlord sold the Building out
from under me after nearly 25 Years. I work as an Electronic Tech in Hollis NH. So
I have most if not all the gear to make these. I have the parts in my Mouser Cart
for 10 Units, except the wires.

MaloDave
If you buy the comma 2 and developer harness you don't need much else. I got one connector and pins from mouser and then the Crimp tool kit from Amazon. Didn't have time to finish today. I have extra connectors if you need them. I'm at the lake now. If I get home early enough on Sunday I'm going to finish it then. If it works I'll send pictures and you can come check it out, if you want. I got extra connectors, if I don't need them, you can use them.

StringNH

Reaction score
Nice, I like it. I'm in the process of setting mine up. I need to fingerprint the truck tonight. Then try to find a working fork. The Tunderpilot fork I have tried has a problem with a NEOS update.

What fork do you have installed?

Adrian052

Reaction score
I should have been more clear. I found this on YouTube. I haven’t installed as of yet but will be in the next month or so

tdb0021

Reaction score
Trust!

what was the message that popped up on the dash just before the intersection? Something about adaptive cruise control being disabled?
It was the "ACC Adaptive Cruise Control Cancelled", the message that pops up when the driver cancels cruise.

StringNH

Reaction score
Well, I finally got the Comma two working in my truck this morning. It took many hours of tinkering and research over the last 2 weeks to get everything sorted out. The hardware and wiring was easy enough for me but I needed quite a bit of help from the Comma.ai Discord members to figure out how to install and configure Openpilot for my truck. It's not hard to do but I had no knowledge in that area, plus there were a few extra hurdles to overcome, it had not yet been set up for the ecodiesel, so they made a few custom changes to the code. Now the ecodiesel is good to go. They were very generous and helpful. I Drove almost 400 miles today with the comma two doing most of the work on the interstate. In its current iteration, what you get is basically a hands free cruise control. I am very pleased with how it is working so far.

Users who are viewing this thread