5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold air intakes yes or no

Drewster

Reaction score
That's not really proving. That's just your mind telling you that the truck doesn't sound like it's working that hard (because of the lack of noise) and it's moving just as quick. Unless you can prove the truck is slower with numbers, the difference is negligible. That is unless the exhaust was really messed up.
Totally agreed that butt dynos don't disprove butt dynos.

That being said, after watching dozens if not hundreds of cars get on and off a dyno, I can say there are *very* few cars that benefit from an intake and exhaust nowadays (beyond ditching weight from the exhaust) because modern ECU's target engine load - even my 18 year old BMW. On top of that, modern engines are pretty well maximized compared to 90's Mustangs.

I used to work at a company that made aftermarket tuners, etc. and I've seen the way cars from about 8 brands make power (or lack thereof). The only way to make more power is to find a component that's in bad shape (clogged air filter, etc.) or make a meaningful improvement (like cams or headers) and TUNE THE ECU. Generally intakes and cat-backs are going to give you about plus (or minus) 5hp on a Naturally Aspirated engine without any sort of tune.. but keep in mind my personal car made 5hp between the first and third dyno pull. I think the most recent vehicle I ever saw that had an intake system that *needed* improvement based on the pressure differential was from ~2008.

Load based tuning means that the ECU is approximating torque based on airflow, RPM, and some scaling. This way, the automakers can target a torque that's within the specs and reliability requirements for the transmission, driveline, etc. If your particular engine is capable of making 450 lb-ft of torque on a cold morning at low altitude.. it doesn't matter if the ECU is targeting 410. Modern vehicles are designed to perform *consistently* regardless of atmospheric conditions. No intake restriction? Open exhaust flow? Cool.. Engine is still going to crank out 410 though.

In the event you're able to change the airflow model enough for it to matter (again, usually this means cams and headers for an NA car) you really need a tune for the engine to run right, which FCA made particularly difficult with an encrypted ECU - which is why you have to trade it in to tune it. If you're coupling the exhaust with GOOD (i.e. Kooks, etc.) headers and a cam, then yeah you stand to make ~10-15% more power... but if you're just bolting on a cat-back and an intake, I'd expect 5 hp and be reasonably surprised if you managed 10.

Last edited:

popcenator

Reaction score
Totally agreed that butt dynos don't disprove butt dynos.

That being said, after watching dozens if not hundreds of cars get on and off a dyno, I can say there are *very* few cars that benefit from an intake and exhaust nowadays (beyond ditching weight from the exhaust) because modern ECU's target engine load - even my 18 year old BMW. On top of that, modern engines are pretty well maximized compared to 90's Mustangs.

I used to work at a company that made aftermarket tuners, etc. and I've seen the way cars from about 8 brands make power (or lack thereof). The only way to make more power is to find a component that's in bad shape (clogged air filter, etc.) or make a meaningful improvement (like cams or headers) and TUNE THE ECU. Generally intakes and cat-backs are going to give you about 5hp on a Naturally Aspirated engine without any sort of tune.. but keep in mind my personal car made 5hp between the first and third dyno pull. I think the most recent vehicle I ever saw that had an intake system that *needed* improvement based on the pressure differential was from ~2008.

Load based tuning means that the ECU is approximating torque based on airflow, RPM, and some scaling. This way, the automakers can target a torque that's within the specs and reliability requirements for the transmission, driveline, etc. If your particular engine is capable of making 450 lb-ft of torque on a cold morning at low altitude.. it doesn't matter if the ECU is targeting 410. Modern vehicles are designed to perform *consistently* regardless of atmospheric conditions. No intake restriction? Open exhaust flow? Cool.. Engine is still going to crank out 410 though.

In the event you're able to change the airflow model enough for it to matter (again, usually this means cams and headers for an NA car) you really need a tune for the engine to run right, which FCA made particularly difficult with an encrypted ECU - which is why you have to trade it in to tune it. If you're coupling the exhaust with GOOD (i.e. Kooks, etc.) headers and a cam, then yeah you stand to make ~10-15% more power... but if you're just bolting on a cat-back and an intake, I'd expect 5 hp and be reasonably surprised if you managed 10.
I agree completely. Mine is only faster with those installed because I'm tuned. I did enjoy the sound the Vararam gave me when I first installed it though, before all of the other mods.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Ramzilla01

Reaction score
Now this sway bar might not be for everyone and if you are just driving your truck up and down the expressway and not towing; don't bother.

But if you tow or just drive on windy mountain back roads like I do this sway bar is a must.

The truck tracks better around curves and corners.

The body roll is almost completely gone!!

The back end of the truck is now firmly planted and you can feel the road much better and recover quicker from potholes in the road.
(But you will feel them more in the suspension and frame of the truck)

I'm running the Hellwig in the middle hole.

As for the Ram Airflow which is a little different design than just a typical CAI, "Cold Air Intake Systems increase airflow, power, and torque. The bolt-on design allows cooler outside air in through a cone filter and funnels it directly into the intake manifold. Made of dry media, filters are high-flow, low-restriction, and washable/reusable."

This bolt-on system is designed to allow cooler outside air in through a directional cone filter and funnel it directly into the intake manifold. This kit provides noticeable horsepower and torque gains under varying atmospheric conditions.
I already Ordered the sway bar, I do a lot of towing and off road driving, i like what you have to say about the ram airflow, I guess that’s next

Lifesave007

Reaction score
Can anyone specify which hellwig? I took one off my 2017 before I traded it.

Lifesave007

Reaction score
Awesome, okay 1 down and a few to go. So now to decide on the intake and maybe a muffler swap
Any and all potential upgrade ideas are always welcome
Thanks
David in SWFL.

Users who are viewing this thread