5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold air intakes yes or no

Ramzilla01

Reaction score
I lifted my 21 Rebel pit 35’s on it and a flowmaster exhaust, I saw my MPG go from full tank @ 400+ to 300+ after the lift. Would a CAI improve fuel efficiency, gimme a few more HP’s and improve throttle response? Is it worth the money?

popcenator

Reaction score
Not likely. The stock intake does a well enough job. I have a Vararam now and am debating on selling it. I just put the stock tube back on and feel that it drives a bit better with the stock setup. It could just be my truck though.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste my time or money on a CAI.

CAI (Cold Air Intakes) make a lot of noise but do not give you the performance.

That is the reason I did not buy one for this truck.

I did not see any improvements on my other trucks or vehicles except for a slight throttle response improvement at a dead start.

If you are looking for performance look at the Mopar Ram Airflow.

Mopar makes no claim on the HP gain. They just tell you it is for "off road use only".

However, Vararam does make a claim and the design and efficiency is basically the same.

Vararam.png

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You wont see any difference if youre not heavily modded. id get an aem drop in filter, unless you want the look and sound of a cai

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Would the mopar air flow help with mpg if you drive it like a 100 yr old grandma? I believe that MDS saves fuel not by not using 4 cylinders but by saving on pumping losses. If you are puttering around at 1200 rpm would the mopar help?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would the mopar air flow help with mpg if you drive it like a 100 yr old grandma? I believe that MDS saves fuel not by not using 4 cylinders but by saving on pumping losses. If you are puttering around at 1200 rpm would the mopar help?
Absolutely not...

You need higher RPM's and speeds in access of 45-50 MPH before you begin to feel the benefits of the Ram Airflow.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Mustang GT, 400 torque, 435 hp. It is a GEN2 Coyote motor. In 2018 Ford introduced the GEN3 Coyote motor. Changes from the GEN2 are:

1) Larger bores to allow for larger valves.
2) Larger intake valves.
3) Larger exhaust valves.
4) Revised higher lift intake camshafts.
5) Revised higher lift exhaust camshafts.
6) Stiffer valve springs to allow for a higher maximum rpm of 7500rpm.
7) All new, stronger cylinder-head casting, including further revised ports from Gen 2 resulting in flow characteristics approaching the CNC’d ports in the GT350 5.2L.
8) Higher compression 12:1 pistons with deeper cutouts to clear the new larger valves. GEN2 was 11:1
9) A new revised, higher flowing intake manifold with the same CMCV feature as introduced on Gen 2.
10) Dual fuel system – Direct Injection and Port Fuel systems which allow for a higher compression ratio. GEN2 was port fuel injection only.

Okay, that's a pretty impressive list of performance mods, hey? All together they resulted in 20 more ft lbs of torque and 25 more hp making the GEN3 motor 420 torque, 460 hp. So really, what do think that a CAI and catback exhaust are going to do?

Ramzilla01

Reaction score
I have both and do not regret the purchase of either. Would do it again.. 🚀 🔱
Ok but what kind of difference did you see in performance. The sway bar really made that much of a difference? And the CAI most people on this chat think it’s a waste of money.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Mustang GT, 400 torque, 435 hp. It is a GEN2 Coyote motor. In 2018 Ford introduced the GEN3 Coyote motor. Changes from the GEN2 are:

1) Larger bores to allow for larger valves.
2) Larger intake valves.
3) Larger exhaust valves.
4) Revised higher lift intake camshafts.
5) Revised higher lift exhaust camshafts.
6) Stiffer valve springs to allow for a higher maximum rpm of 7500rpm.
7) All new, stronger cylinder-head casting, including further revised ports from Gen 2 resulting in flow characteristics approaching the CNC’d ports in the GT350 5.2L.
8) Higher compression 12:1 pistons with deeper cutouts to clear the new larger valves. GEN2 was 11:1
9) A new revised, higher flowing intake manifold with the same CMCV feature as introduced on Gen 2.
10) Dual fuel system – Direct Injection and Port Fuel systems which allow for a higher compression ratio. GEN2 was port fuel injection only.

Okay, that's a pretty impressive list of performance mods, hey? All together they resulted in 20 more ft lbs of torque and 25 more hp making the GEN3 motor 420 torque, 460 hp. So really, what do think that a CAI and catback exhaust are going to do?
i get what you're saying but that's not a fair comparison. they squeezed performance out of the Gen2 motor and that means it's even harder to squeeze anymore performance out of it.... hence the 10 changes to get the 20/25 gain. the high power you have the harder it is to start adding more power (generally).

the Hemi is pretty handicapped from the factory for emission and such...with that said, without a tune i think the CAI will just make some cool noises.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Buy CAI for looks(Vararam or RamAir). Any added performance is just a bonus at that point. Which, I did pick up 3/10s 0-60 with my Vararam in back to back comparisons.

As for the Hellwig, definitely get it. So glad I did. The first drive after installing it, I didn't really feel much, but further driving and I really noticed it.

Users who are viewing this thread