5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold air intakes yes or no

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
CAI and exhaust on a stock truck is a waste of money, IMO. I was able to prove this point a few years back with my Tundra. The previous owner of my 2008 Tundra put Borla exhaust and a CAI on the truck before I bought it. I didn't care for the drone, so I put an ad on Craigslist to swap my exhaust straight across for a stock Tundra exhaust and airbox. I had a bunch of inquiries right away. I picked the guy that had the newest truck. After we swapped out both and I drove away, I had the biggest 💩 eating grin on my face. Not only was the noise from the intake and exhaust gone but my truck had a bunch more torque off the bottom. It may have lost a little punch in the higher revs, but who really spends much time there?

I wish I could have swapped one at a time to see what each one contributed the most to my gain in low end power, but it was probably the exhaust.

popcenator

Reaction score
That's not really proving. That's just your mind telling you that the truck doesn't sound like it's working that hard (because of the lack of noise) and it's moving just as quick. Unless you can prove the truck is slower with numbers, the difference is negligible. That is unless the exhaust was really messed up.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Idahoktm

Reaction score
That's not really proving. That's just your mind telling you that the truck doesn't sound like it's working that hard (because of the lack of noise) and it's moving just as quick. Unless you can prove the truck is slower with numbers, the difference is negligible. That is unless the exhaust was really messed up.

Nope, that's not it. Believe what you want...I really couldn't care less.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Hahaha soooo your butt dyno on a different truck proves the case closed? OP is also concerned with mpg, not just performance.
I didn't say it was case closed. I explained my experience with a Tundra. It's as simple as that. You act as if I said something negative about your momma. I didn't add any info about MPG's because I didn't notice any difference.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't say it was case closed. I explained my experience with a Tundra. It's as simple as that. You act as if I said something negative about your momma. I didn't add any info about MPG's because I didn't notice any difference.
the post i quoted you were literally shooting down someone else. thanks for sharing your experience, as i stated above i don't think the CAI will provide much if anything other than some nice noises... until you get a tune. i just hate when people say oh this felt way faster, with no data to back it up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
CAI and exhaust on a stock truck is a waste of money, IMO. I was able to prove this point a few years back with my Tundra. The previous owner of my 2008 Tundra put Borla exhaust and a CAI on the truck before I bought it. I didn't care for the drone, so I put an ad on Craigslist to swap my exhaust straight across for a stock Tundra exhaust and airbox. I had a bunch of inquiries right away. I picked the guy that had the newest truck. After we swapped out both and I drove away, I had the biggest 💩 eating grin on my face. Not only was the noise from the intake and exhaust gone but my truck had a bunch more torque off the bottom. It may have lost a little punch in the higher revs, but who really spends much time there?

I wish I could have swapped one at a time to see what each one contributed the most to my gain in low end power, but it was probably the exhaust.
The perceived increase in torque at bottom end was probably a combination of placebo effect of you hoping there was a difference, and the truck computer re-adjusting to the changes. I'd be willing the bet the guy you swapped with has the exact same grin on his face for the same reasons

Idahoktm

Reaction score
the post i quoted you were literally shooting down someone else. thanks for sharing your experience, as i stated above i don't think the CAI will provide much if anything other than some nice noises... until you get a tune. i just hate when people say oh this felt way faster, with no data to back it up.
He told me I couldn't differentiate between sound and seat of the pants power. How should I respond to that?

I never said my truck was faster. I said it had more low end power. I also thought it lost a little power up in the higher rpm's. I like a powerband that is more biased in low end torque and that's what I thought the stock exhaust/airbox gave me.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
The perceived increase in torque at bottom end was probably a combination of placebo effect of you hoping there was a difference, and the truck computer re-adjusting to the changes. I'd be willing the bet the guy you swapped with has the exact same grin on his face for the same reasons

I actually thought I was going to lose power in the swap, but I didn't care. I wanted a quiet truck and I got it. I was actually surprised that I got more low end power. He was very happy. He got $1500 worth of aftermarket mods for free and he loved the loud exhaust note. He never mentioned a word about the power difference, but he said his MPG's went to crap because he loved hearing the exhaust.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I actually thought I was going to lose power in the swap, but I didn't care. I wanted a quiet truck and I got it. I was actually surprised that I got more low end power. He was very happy. He got $1500 worth of aftermarket mods for free and he loved the loud exhaust note. He never mentioned a word about the power difference, but he said his MPG's went to crap because he loved hearing the exhaust.
I'd be willing to bet once the PCM adjusted to the stock exhaust you probably lost whatever perceived low end torque you might have felt.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet once the PCM adjusted to the stock exhaust you probably lost whatever perceived low end torque you might have felt.
Okay. Since you're willing to bet, the burden of proof is on you. Prove me wrong. :ROFLMAO:

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Chrisfix did an exhaust as well as intake manifold with dyno runs before and after each. Very interesting. Can also search for Donut Media. They did an cold air intake as well as exhaust video with good explainations but no dyno.

popcenator

Reaction score
Nope, that's not it. Believe what you want...I really couldn't care less.

Lol easy there bruh. You literally said you proved it, and provided no evidence other than you feeling something. There's really no way to tell unless you do back to back times at the same operating temperature. My Vararam "feels" a little slower but runs identical times to the stock setup 0-60. Both the Vararam and Borla run faster than stock combined. That's proving it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Okay. Since you're willing to bet, the burden of proof is on you. Prove me wrong. :ROFLMAO:
Not really. Its your truck. If I bet against what you say, and you can't support your claims, then I win, or it's a wash.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Lol easy there bruh. You literally said you proved it, and provided no evidence other than you feeling something. There's really no way to tell unless you do back to back times at the same operating temperature. My Vararam "feels" a little slower but runs identical times to the stock setup 0-60. Both the Vararam and Borla run faster than stock combined. That's proving it.

Yeah, I re-read my post. Good point. If I cared about it being faster, I probably would have compared times. All I was concerned about was getting rid of the noise and as a bonus it felt more torquey.

Being faster isn't always desirable for everyone. Some prefer better drivability. That's the point I was getting at but did a poor job explaining.

popcenator

Reaction score
Yeah, I re-read my post. Good point. If I cared about it being faster, I probably would have compared times. All I was concerned about was getting rid of the noise and as a bonus it felt more torquey.

Being faster isn't always desirable for everyone. Some prefer better drivability. That's the point I was getting at but did a poor job explaining.
I can appreciate that. At times I miss the quiet ride myself.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had a loud fast corvette back in the day with two bazookas in the hatch. Now I like the quiet

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok but what kind of difference did you see in performance. The sway bar really made that much of a difference? And the CAI most people on this chat think it’s a waste of money.
Now this sway bar might not be for everyone and if you are just driving your truck up and down the expressway and not towing; don't bother.

But if you tow or just drive on windy mountain back roads like I do this sway bar is a must.

The truck tracks better around curves and corners.

The body roll is almost completely gone!!

The back end of the truck is now firmly planted and you can feel the road much better and recover quicker from potholes in the road.
(But you will feel them more in the suspension and frame of the truck)

I'm running the Hellwig in the middle hole.

As for the Ram Airflow which is a little different design than just a typical CAI, "Cold Air Intake Systems increase airflow, power, and torque. The bolt-on design allows cooler outside air in through a cone filter and funnels it directly into the intake manifold. Made of dry media, filters are high-flow, low-restriction, and washable/reusable."

This bolt-on system is designed to allow cooler outside air in through a directional cone filter and funnel it directly into the intake manifold. This kit provides noticeable horsepower and torque gains under varying atmospheric conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread