5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold air intake

badpewterz

Reaction score
The MAP handles that plus input of fuel,etc, etc...it's just not a MAF. Aftermarket could let in some serious containments that could eventually lead to engine failure. Probably would take a long time...but can still happen easier than if you had a stock...ish filter in.
Yes there is a map sensor also but unless ram runs in speed density which they do not it also uses in this case "air charge " sensor to get technical. Now it doesn't happen often but I have seen where to much oil from a oiled air filter has contaminated the sensor and set a light. In this scenario it would not be covered but warranty would still be valid if that makes sense to you?
And again I never mentioned engine failure. That would take alot of time and neglect with the light in and running like crap and just ignoring it. Even then the computer would shut down before it got that far
I have alot of background in the performance industry and had my personal 2000 camaro with a 416ci ls3 that we ran in speed density for the track and ran off the maf for the street.
Now back to the map sensor if/when that gets to much oil in it. It should be on ram as we know the blow by issue already . That they would not be a le to blame a CAI

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Might be a silly question, but if you are using a CAI and begin having issues can’t you just remove it and reinstall stock air intake prior to taking to the dealer? I don’t believe it would leave any type of footprint.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might be a silly question, but if you are using a CAI and begin having issues can’t you just remove it and reinstall stock air intake prior to taking to the dealer? I don’t believe it would leave any type of footprint.
Nope. You could try...but guess what? Any change in air intake volume/temperature and pressure gets recorded in the computer. So it will be logged as a change of airflow/restriction within the MAP....this is per a technician when I had my Ram in the shop for a software update. Could he have been lying?..maybe. But again....why take the chance on the aftermarket crap.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ as i agree with you on recordings Of certain failures/with parameter readings to some level. Map will not see the change to that level, it’s still to small. Map is still behind the TB which is main part of making vacuum in intake manifold.

It took them(dealer) a approximately 2 months back and forth to hear a very noticeable knocking noise I heard and recorded multiple times a day. With clear communication of where & when it happened.
Granted, so many variables possible between the two. Still.....

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ as i agree with you on recordings Of certain failures/with parameter readings to some level. Map will not see the change to that level, it’s still to small. Map is still behind the TB which is main part of making vacuum in intake manifold.

It took them(dealer) a approximately 2 months back and forth to hear a very noticeable knocking noise I heard and recorded multiple times a day. With clear communication of where & when it happened.
Granted, so many variables possible between the two. Still.....
Ahh yes but here's the most important part....what gets disconnected when changing out a air intake setup?
Unplugging the electrical connectors on the air intake will absolutely be recorded. Dead giveaway right there to a tech. Of course you could always say it was unplugged to be cleaned or whatever but at the end of the day all of those little signs together add up one cause...a crappy aftermarket intake lol

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the ignition off, no there is no detection. Are we talking hemi or in general across the board? Either way that would be unfair to owner of vehicle. Ready & complying emissions monitors would be reset. And till they are self tested & passed that vehicle is technically not emissions legal. If renewal needed to be done.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
This guy isn't going to give up untill everyone in here swears to never put an aftermarket mod on their vehicles. Odd to be on a forum where mods are primarily talked about just to bash people.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This guy isn't going to give up untill everyone in here swears to never put an aftermarket mod on their vehicles. Odd to be on a forum where mods are primarily talked about just to bash people.
Most of the people on here will tell you that adding a oiled aftermarket intake on a brand new 50k truck is not a smart idea.... because we've been down this road before and it's a slippery slope. W/e. OP asked for advice and we have it. Don't cry to me when you have problems down the road.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes there is a map sensor also but unless ram runs in speed density which they do not it also uses in this case "air charge " sensor to get technical.
Your Ram is running on Speed Density tuning, it utilizes input from multiple sensors and data table, not just the MAP sensor which is located in the back of the intake manifold. It takes into account the crank position sensor, cam position sensor, upstream & downstream of the cat. converter oxy. sensors, ambient air sensor, pedal position sensor, and intake air temp sensor, then uses the data tables in the logic that has been programmed into it. Within that programming, it has all the knowns of the engine it is running. For example, cylinder bore/stroke length, cam lobe diameters and geometry, head port sizes, valve diameters so on, and so forth. It knows the air volume the engine is designed to and uses the tables in order to achieve the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio. It has a full logic processor and can make adjustments within a range of parameters.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Most of the people on here will tell you that adding a oiled aftermarket intake on a brand new 50k truck is not a smart idea.... because we've been down this road before and it's a slippery slope. W/e. OP asked for advice and we have it. Don't cry to me when you have problems down the road.
Well you sure just made it sound like anything aftermarket on a vehicle is crap and not worth it. And for what it's worth I use a dry air filter system not oiled.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well you sure just made it sound like anything aftermarket on a vehicle is crap and not worth it. And for what it's worth I use a dry air filter system not oiled.
What it sounded like and what I said are two different things. We're talking about INTAKES here. Maybe read the thread title again...?

badpewterz

Reaction score
Your Ram is running on Speed Density tuning, it utilizes input from multiple sensors and data table, not just the MAP sensor which is located in the back of the intake manifold. It takes into account the crank position sensor, cam position sensor, upstream & downstream of the cat. converter oxy. sensors, ambient air sensor, pedal position sensor, and intake air temp sensor, then uses the data tables in the logic that has been programmed into it. Within that programming, it has all the knowns of the engine it is running. For example, cylinder bore/stroke length, cam lobe diameters and geometry, head port sizes, valve diameters so on, and so forth. It knows the air volume the engine is designed to and uses the tables in order to achieve the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio. It has a full logic processor and can make adjustments within a range of parameters.
maybe your understanding of speed density is different then mine. speed density in my mind is when the computer is not measuring the true airflow speed and temp but a mathematics equation of the MAP readings and other sensors. speed density is more of an "open loop" tune where the air charge sensors are not in play and relies solely on the MAP sensor for the intake charge. the cam/crank/upstream o2s/pedals/ect and the VE tables are still being utilized. when running "closed loop" this would then include the air charge, temp, ect.
the downstream 02's do not affect the tune or the fuel trim as they just monitor the efficiency of the cats
sorry if the terminology confused anyone

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is correct, you run open loop mostly, then closed loop like if you set your cruise control. Open loop is where it is running on sensory input. Closed it's running on VE tables. The MAP is reading pressure that is within the intake manifold, the IAT (Internal Air Temp) is used to know how much oxygen is in the volume of air dictated by the diameter of the tube (known parameter) and calculated volume of O2 at X temp. Colder the air, the more dense the O2. We are on the same page I think.

MF2020

Reaction score
Yes, there really is not a distinct sound difference with this system and I cant really tell if it does much since I have had it on the vehicle almost from the day I took delivery. But... it sure looks cool when you open up the hood and there is certainly plenty of room for an extra battery should anyone need one. I think perhaps this unit would come alive more as part of a group of performance modifications.

Alptbird

Reaction score
I use a drop in and have changed out the throttle body with a Fastman throttle body. stock air box is as cold as you are going to get without insulating the piping, or spending stupid money on the stock Ram air. most intakes give you noise and heat soak. and barely any bang. But the fast man throttle body will be felt, and is very nice. So for my 400$ intake, or throttle body, my money was spent better on the throttle body. you wont regret it. AND it is a mopar original part!

Users who are viewing this thread