5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold air intake

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty much so. Pull carbon filter and drop in.
This.
If you're not going with the Mopar RamAir, then removing the carbon and putting on a drop in filter is the least risky option. Oiled filters are crap and you run the risk of warranty not covering something that goes wrong with your engine...and they WILL blame it on the aftermarket intake. To each their own but I highly recommend you read the MOPAR warranty info before you decide.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
For what it's worth I have installed the S&B CAI and it states on their site that if you install it correctly, and nothing faulty is shown on the installation of it and your engine has an issue the CAI cannot void any Warrenty. There is a such law for this apparently to protect us.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^ S&b stand behind their systems with their lawyers if need be. Besides lack of carbon filter in their intake. Which won’t pass CAFE regulations. It out flows and filters as good if not better then stock. Just have to see if that buck spent is worth the bang per individual.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^ S&b stand behind their systems with their lawyers if need be. Besides lack of carbon filter in their intake. Which won’t pass CAFE regulations. It out flows and filters as good if not better then stock. Just have to see if that buck spent is worth the bang per individual.
why bother changing out the intake at all then???

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it's worth I have installed the S&B CAI and it states on their site that if you install it correctly, and nothing faulty is shown on the installation of it and your engine has an issue the CAI cannot void any Warrenty. There is a such law for this apparently to protect us.
And you believe them? Lmao! Sorry dude...but the vehicle Manufacturers warranty is what you have to go by...not some aftermarket propaganda. Look it up on Mopars website...you'll find that I'm not just spitting words for nothing.

badpewterz

Reaction score
there is the magnuson?(however its spelled) act and yes the dealer has to prove the mod caused the fault. being i worked in a dealer the BIGGEST issue isnt the intake its self its the oil on the filter. the oil of a freshly oiled/over oiled filter can send oil residue through the intake tube and then sticks to the mass air flow sensor which does not like oil. this will then contaminate the readings and set a check engine light or drive ability issues which in turn ARE NOT COVERED. warranty is not voided but repair would not be covered as the fault was from the oil in the filter that is not factory.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
there is the magnuson?(however its spelled) act and yes the dealer has to prove the mod caused the fault. being i worked in a dealer the BIGGEST issue isnt the intake its self its the oil on the filter. the oil of a freshly oiled/over oiled filter can send oil residue through the intake tube and then sticks to the mass air flow sensor which does not like oil. this will then contaminate the readings and set a check engine light or drive ability issues which in turn ARE NOT COVERED. warranty is not voided but repair would not be covered as the fault was from the oil in the filter that is not factory.

I wonder what the ratio of filter oil entering the intake from a CAI is vs. the amount of oil that blows into the intake from the crank case vent on the stock air induction system is. Several CAI systems eliminate the crank case vent entering into the induction system.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
And you believe them? Lmao! Sorry dude...but the vehicle Manufacturers warranty is what you have to go by...not some aftermarket propaganda. Look it up on Mopars website...you'll find that I'm not just spitting words for nothing.
I don't believe you're just spitting out words as I know I am not also. As mentioned above it has to be absolutely 100% proven that the issue was caused by the CAI. And you're protected by a federal law. Try not to bash everyone wanting to put aftermarket products on their vehicles and educate yourself. Here I even did the work for you. https://apb-law.com/understanding-m...ission (FTC,of having their warranties voided.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't believe you're just spitting out words as I know I am not also. As mentioned above it has to be absolutely 100% proven that the issue was caused by the CAI. And you're protected by a federal law. Try not to bash everyone wanting to put aftermarket products on their vehicles and educate yourself. Here I even did the work for you. https://apb-law.com/understanding-magnuson-moss-act-relates-aftermarket-car-parts/#:~:text=The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, passed by Congress in 1975,the warranties on consumer products.&text=The Federal Trade Commission (FTC,of having their warranties voided.
Although that's true....how do you think they're going to prove it? They will write up a work order and inspection sheet stating "failure caused by "XYZ aftermarket part" and there will Nothing you can do about it. The vehicle won't be examined by a impartial garage or anything. It's not rocket science.
I think this is the link...
https://www.mopar.com/ramtrucks/en-us/my-vehicle/warranty.html?openGarage=true

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Example: new intake causes engine failure
..engine repair cost not covered under warranty.
Means that warranty in this case would be voided.
Also...no MAF in the new Rams.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it's one thing to have the magnuson moss act protecting us from the manufacturer's false accusations that a CAI caused engine failure.... but it's another thing for someone to pay the legal fee's needed to actually fight the manufacturer on something like this. Magnuson moss act or not, i'm not willing to fight FCA over warranty claims even if i know it didn't cause an issue to my truck. i'd rather just avoid the cai itself before relying on the magnuson moss act to save me in a bad situation with the dealer/FCA. One thing i learned from my WRX days is that you should seriously only ever do mod's like this with the mindset that you're not going to be covered under warranty if something fails. It's really something when people mess with their expensive vehicles and then cry when something breaks and they don't have the money to pay for it, blaming the manufacturer. If they cover it, great, but if not, everyone should be aware of what they're doing

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Although that's true....how do you think they're going to prove it? They will write up a work order and inspection sheet stating "failure caused by "XYZ aftermarket part" and there will Nothing you can do about it. The vehicle won't be examined by a impartial garage or anything. It's not rocket science.
I think this is the link...
https://www.mopar.com/ramtrucks/en-us/my-vehicle/warranty.html?openGarage=true
You may be correct in that aspect of people who more than likely are unaware that a law as this even exists. And those lawyers I'd imagine have to be pretty good at their job in the first place because they are more in place to protect aftermarket product companies more than anything. And I'm sure Mopar knows they exist just as every other car manufacturer does. If they never did work there would be no need for them. Agree to disagree. Some cases you can be protected and some cases you may not.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You may be correct in that aspect of people who more than likely are unaware that a law as this even exists. And those lawyers I'd imagine have to be pretty good at their job in the first place because they are more in place to protect aftermarket product companies more than anything. And I'm sure Mopar knows they exist just as every other car manufacturer does. If they never did work there would be no need for them. Agree to disagree. Some cases you can be protected and some cases you may not.
Only way a lawyer would be involved is if you filed a lawsuit. And they would have defense lawyers. Regardless of the ACT in place. It's just too much gambling and nonsense to risk on a $40-50k vehicle. Not worth the hassle.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As said above 5.7 hemi doesn’t use maf. Truly I have not seen a contaminated maf cause a Internal engine failure with a somewhat minded operator. It would be such a severe drivability issue you wouldn’t or couldn’t drive it. Or it wouldn’t start or it would limp mode and use other sensors to get you where you need to go just restricted parameters.
And if the operator did despite the obvious, they deserve warranty denial claim.

badpewterz

Reaction score
As said above 5.7 hemi doesn’t use maf. Truly I have not seen a contaminated maf cause a Internal engine failure with a somewhat minded operator. It would be such a severe drivability issue you wouldn’t or couldn’t drive it. Or it wouldn’t start or it would limp mode and use other sensors to get you where you need to go just restricted parameters.
And if the operator did despite the obvious, they deserve warranty denial claim.
I never said engine failure just a light. Or running like crap. And there is a sensor in the intake tube that measures temp and airflow.

badpewterz

Reaction score
I wonder what the ratio of filter oil entering the intake from a CAI is vs. the amount of oil that blows into the intake from the crank case vent on the stock air induction system is. Several CAI systems eliminate the crank case vent entering into the induction system.
I'm not denying that aspect lol but the blowby enters back in after the sensor so it doesn't contaminate it as easily.

Kob0583

Reaction score
I’ve used many oil filters on multiple vehicles never had a issue or thrown a code or had any warranty problems. Can’t speak for all but it’s been a none issue for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never said engine failure just a light. Or running like crap. And there is a sensor in the intake tube that measures temp and airflow.
The MAP handles that plus input of fuel,etc, etc...it's just not a MAF. Aftermarket could let in some serious containments that could eventually lead to engine failure. Probably would take a long time...but can still happen easier than if you had a stock...ish filter in.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve used many oil filters on multiple vehicles never had a issue or thrown a code or had any warranty problems. Can’t speak for all but it’s been a none issue for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oil filters are very different from air filters.... we're talking about air filters here.

Users who are viewing this thread