5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Air from Window Defroster with AC set to Face only

chrisboy68

Reaction score
d8a6079fa9efac4e655823c630a38dd4.jpg
same here. Took a pic this am. Glad to see I’m not the only one. Dealer said they could not reproduce. Will be adding my vin to the list. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Add mine to the list. I live in Houston, TX area. On humid mornings,which is just about every morning, my windshield fogs up on the outside and definitely makes it hard to see, especially early in the morning. A safety issue for sure. There is always air leaking from the defrost vent and blowing on the windshield, even when defrost is not selected. With today’s technology and design software tools, issues like this should not happen. This is definitely a mode-door problem and FCA needs to find a resolution!

Florida Truck

Reaction score
Wow, mine is minor compared to that, just came back from dealer. Same answer they can't reproduce the condition

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
d8a6079fa9efac4e655823c630a38dd4.jpg
same here. Took a pic this am. Glad to see I’m not the only one. Dealer said they could not reproduce. Will be adding my vin to the list. Thanks

Mine is also minor compared to that. I would be leaving at dealer until fixed if mine looked like that. Easy tom say from my vantage point!! Sorry you are having this issue. I live in Orlando with most humid weather imaginable.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Just to be clear - moisture is on the out side correct ? I have this and had to run the wipers on a clear NC day for 20 minutes yesterday

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those pics are crazy. My truck would have a very short ownership if it did anything like that. Hope they resolve this for you guys. Maybe
this stuff would work. Never tried it, but those pics look like a major safety issue if sun were to shine directly in.
1568852921851.png

Albert193500

Reaction score
Just to be clear - moisture is on the out side correct ? I have this and had to run the wipers on a clear NC day for 20 minutes yesterday
Yes, but not normal dew. This complaint is for the air blowing out of the defrost vent and creating a visibility problem. What I posted in my video is after the morning dew has cleared using the defrost the way it was designed. After that I turned the ac back on to get the cabin comfortable for me. The issue is not being able to stop the flow of air out of the defrost vent

Albert193500

Reaction score
Those pics are crazy. My truck would have a very short ownership if it did anything like that. Hope they resolve this for you guys. Maybe
this stuff would work. Never tried it, but those pics look like a major safety issue if sun were to shine directly in.
View attachment 36059
This would work but the "fog" is not on the inside. It is on the outside.
See my video. And read my comment above.

Watch "2019 Ram 3500 HD air from defrost in all modes" on YouTube

Gsmith223

Reaction score
mine is doing it now as well after the third attempt to fix the AC

Florida Truck

Reaction score
The only way it will get fixed is to drive it to the dealer WHILE IT IS FOGGING the window so they can’t say “we can’t duplicate the issue “

Douglas31

Reaction score
This is what mine does when it starts cooling down in the evening. Of course nobody cared and I eventually reached buyback for other reasons. E8B7EA5F-F8AD-40FE-8BA8-34EC38A68719.jpeg

poma31

Reaction score
The only way it will get fixed is to drive it to the dealer WHILE IT IS FOGGING the window so they can’t say “we can’t duplicate the issue “

Did that and it still didn’t help me. Their next trick in the deck of cards is to say it runs as expected.

poma31

Reaction score
This is what mine does when it starts cooling down in the evening. Of course nobody cared and I eventually reached buyback for other reasons. View attachment 36126

Doug, I’d love to hear how you reached a buy back. That’s really all I want now with this truck. Send me some info and pointers! Was buyback value full price, how many miles, etc?

Douglas31

Reaction score
Doug, I’d love to hear how you reached a buy back. That’s really all I want now with this truck. Send me some info and pointers! Was buyback value full price, how many miles, etc?

I essentially reached it I assume from when it was in the shop for 10 and a half weeks straight. Over the past year it had two water leaks, steering rack replacement, rambox replacement, rear glass replacement, all body mount/isolaters replaced, dash replacement, and still has a severe vibration at highway speeds. Arbitratration was a pathetic scam and there was no progress until I sent a certified letter to FCA requesting lemon law replacement. Even though I am excited to hopefully close this chapter of problems once my replacement comes in, I have zero faith in Ram caring any about their customers. I even sent emails to Mike Manley and Reid Bigland and never heard anything back. During the time it was in service they promised to cover the car payments for that time which they have now backed out of as well. The lemon law from the state I purchased from wasn’t even honored and they just threaten through the buyback third party that if you don’t accept their offer your case will be closed. If it wasn’t for my military schedule and not being sure I would be here long enough to follow through on everything I would have continued the battle with an attorney but ultimately it was overdue to close this chapter in my life and accept their forced offer.

Douglas31

Reaction score
I essentially reached it I assume from when it was in the shop for 10 and a half weeks straight. Over the past year it had two water leaks, steering rack replacement, rambox replacement, rear glass replacement, all body mount/isolaters replaced, dash replacement, and still has a severe vibration at highway speeds. Arbitratration was a pathetic scam and there was no progress until I sent a certified letter to FCA requesting lemon law replacement. Even though I am excited to hopefully close this chapter of problems once my replacement comes in, I have zero faith in Ram caring any about their customers. I even sent emails to Mike Manley and Reid Bigland and never heard anything back. During the time it was in service they promised to cover the car payments for that time which they have now backed out of as well. The lemon law from the state I purchased from wasn’t even honored and they just threaten through the buyback third party that if you don’t accept their offer your case will be closed. If it wasn’t for my military schedule and not being sure I would be here long enough to follow through on everything I would have continued the battle with an attorney but ultimately it was overdue to close this chapter in my life and accept their forced offer.
Probably better served for a new thread but I’ve been trying not to be a continuous negative poster on this site and the question was asked. Lol

Albert193500

Reaction score
That's hard to do when the hours of them being open sucks. But as @poma31 has done, it dosen't matter, they know what is happening and just do not have a fix. So with no fix they prefer to BS the owners and force them to waste their time driving around making them reproduce the problem. I can easily reproduce the issue without waiting for it to fog up. Basically, when in vent mode there should be no air coming out of the defrost, that's all. If they stop the air from coming out it will solve the fogging issue. Simple cause and effect, cause: conditioned air coming from the defrost... effect: windshield fogging resulting in poor visibility and increased chance of accidents and injuries.

The ac not cooling below 52 degrees is a simple blend door issue, the issue is finding a technician that gives a crap and that won't damage it.

poma31

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my ram 1500 at the dealership with fogged out windows from defective ac system. All service tech said is “well it’s very humid out, turn up the temps on ac settings”. Mind you it was nearly 85 degrees that morning...what a joke.

IMG_6137.JPG IMG_6136.JPG

poma31

Reaction score
Also filed my complaint with NHTSA, took less than 5 minutes. Everyone else should do the same to help us get this resolved. Or just keep riding around with fog or the heat on...

ldoh

Reaction score
The ac not cooling below 52 degrees is a simple blend door issue, the issue is finding a technician that gives a crap and that won't damage it.

I'd hate to see this take an accident to get movement but I'm sure law firm wolves will eventually smell the foul odor FCA is putting off.

For at least the new body 1500 Ram, there are at least 2 empirical facts showing a possible a/c blending design issue: fog on windshield resulting from diverted a/c system cooled air and poor cabin a/c performance fixed by limiting engine hot water movement to the cabin heater core.

The cooled air diverted to the windshield isn't only proving to be hazardous but serves no purpose especially in a vehicle in need of improved a/c performance. Air conditioned air is wastefully and thoughtlessly used to cool a windshield which is continually bombarded by outside air which could be either hot or freezing. Either extremes have their own visibility risks although the latter wouldn't be as likely if the heater functions properly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread