5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Air from Window Defroster with AC set to Face only

poma31

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This is my first post ever on any forum of any kind, and I am not one to complain about much of anything. I am, however, a bit frustrated with an issue of experience with the AC system on my brand new 2019 Laramie Longhorn which I purchased last Friday. Unknown as to why, but with normal face AC setting on there is slight amounts of cool air coming from the front windshield defroster and side window defroster vents. In the normal muggy and humid conditions of Florida, this causes a significant amount of moisture to build up on the lower portion of the windshield and leads to near-complete fogging of the passenger side window (I presume my driver side does not fog as much because of the little amount of body heat given off) and this annoying to say the least. I am being told by the service department that this is normal, yet I just traded in my 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie and I never had that issue with that vehicle, nor does my father who currently owns a 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn. Even the rental vehicle I am presently driving while my truck is being looked at doesn't do the same. Since I am aware of a current HVAC recall on some of the 2019 rams wit the 12" touch screens I decided to check but turned up nothing. Oddly enough, one of my brothers has the 2019 rebel and it does exactly the same thing as mine, except with the feet setting turned on, there is a tremendous amount of air blowing from the DEFROST Vents-how could that be considered normal operation? I am looking for a little insight and ammo to present to the service department as this cannot be proper function. It's simple, if defrost setting isn't on, then no air should be coming out of the defrost vents-right? This will be my 10th vehicle and the first ever with this issue.

I appreciate your time and insight!

Repsol69

Reaction score
Same thing here...i don't have the 12" screen though but i do get some air coming out that fogs the windshield in the middle .. I've tried the AC on auto and still get it.. i have to turn up the temp to 70 before it starts to stop fogging... My 17' Ram sport never had this problem..

TWRam

Reaction score
Mine fogs the lower windshield up as well. Same humid Florida mornings as you. 08/18 build if it makes any difference. I think I'll live with it before I let a dealer take my entire dash apart and out to try to fix it.

coffeyman76

Reaction score
Same thing here. Pretty annoying. Never get's much over 4 to 6 inches and is clustered near the center mainly. I don't have the side window issues but it's probably climate related vs. vehicle. Wonder if any of this may be related to the lack of cold air or vent power others have complained about. Is it all "leaking" to the defrost area?

Beachcruiser

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This is my first post ever on any forum of any kind, and I am not one to complain about much of anything. I am, however, a bit frustrated with an issue of experience with the AC system on my brand new 2019 Laramie Longhorn which I purchased last Friday. Unknown as to why, but with normal face AC setting on there is slight amounts of cool air coming from the front windshield defroster and side window defroster vents. In the normal muggy and humid conditions of Florida, this causes a significant amount of moisture to build up on the lower portion of the windshield and leads to near-complete fogging of the passenger side window (I presume my driver side does not fog as much because of the little amount of body heat given off) and this annoying to say the least. I am being told by the service department that this is normal, yet I just traded in my 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie and I never had that issue with that vehicle, nor does my father who currently owns a 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn. Even the rental vehicle I am presently driving while my truck is being looked at doesn't do the same. Since I am aware of a current HVAC recall on some of the 2019 rams wit the 12" touch screens I decided to check but turned up nothing. Oddly enough, one of my brothers has the 2019 rebel and it does exactly the same thing as mine, except with the feet setting turned on, there is a tremendous amount of air blowing from the DEFROST Vents-how could that be considered normal operation? I am looking for a little insight and ammo to present to the service department as this cannot be proper function. It's simple, if defrost setting isn't on, then no air should be coming out of the defrost vents-right? This will be my 10th vehicle and the first ever with this issue.

I appreciate your time and insight!
My 2019 1500 does the same thing ........Living here in Florida I fog up on front windshield with defroster blowing A/C just enough to fog it up. Setting full on the front vents. Has to be a blend door not sealing. Its not right but have not taken it to the dealer after reading all the post here about only fix is close off heater hose for A/C. But this is a door not sealing right. Built 8/18

Grayman5752

Reaction score
FYI, it would be the mode door not sealing, not a blend door. Blend doors are for temp, mode doors are for vent position (face/floor/defrost). Could be taken care of with an actuator calibration test done with the wiTech scan tool.

I’m in Charleston, SC, and haven’t seemed to notice much of an issue with mine. Maybe a slight amount but nothing to really take note of. I’ll check available TSBs and flashes when I get to work tomorrow

KSOTI

Reaction score
You're definitely not alone! my big horn does exactly the same thing. seems common for those of us who actually have cold AC. there is a little bit of blow by squeaking out the defroster vents. According to the owner's manual when the AC is set to the front vents all other vents including the defroster should be shut off entirely. in the rest of the mixed settings some air comes out the defrost and sides by Design. My guess is a poorly manufactured seal on the door that seals off defrost side. Letting the dealership yo-yos take my dash apart terrifies me though.

coffeyman76

Reaction score
FYI, it would be the mode door not sealing, not a blend door. Blend doors are for temp, mode doors are for vent position (face/floor/defrost). Could be taken care of with an actuator calibration test done with the wiTech scan tool.

I’m in Charleston, SC, and haven’t seemed to notice much of an issue with mine. Maybe a slight amount but nothing to really take note of. I’ll check available TSBs and flashes when I get to work tomorrow

Thank you. Would be curious if there is a TSB. Mine is going in for the bed to cab seal and door adjustment (wind noise) so I'd like to include that if indeed it is an issue. I'll see if they can't address it as honestly it seems to be happening more, I didn't ever notice it when I got the truck (July). Perhaps related to climate but may be something sticking or out of adjustment as you indicated.

poma31

Reaction score

Have you had a chance to check TSB’s and flashed yet? My local service department said they didn’t have any available and thus this is normal functioning.

poma31

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys, certainly evident I am not the only one experiencing this issue and I plan to raise hell down here at my local Arrigo Dodge dealership! We are a small family company and have 10 ram trucks and none of the others have this same problem, so I hope they find a way to figure out the issue and get it resolved. They offered to call Chrysler and see if they have any input either so hopefully that has a positive outcome. Can’t imagine it’s anything that complicated. All I know is I’ll use whatever weight I have to throw around and get some action. I’ll keep you guys posted with updates.

TNSmokee

Reaction score
"Pushed the can down the road" with this idea. Made a pattern of the vent and cut black vinyl to fit over the vent. No more fog, at least this morning there wasn't any. First time since owning the truck.
Vent Fix-1.jpg
Vent Fix-2.jpg

v_eight

Reaction score
My Big Horn does the same thing. I'm in South Carolina. It is annoying.

Last edited:

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add another Florida resident with the same thing. 8/18 build. I'll live with it. I have torn RAM dashboards apart to replace doors in the past; I don't want anyone tearing into my new truck dash for something so minor.

Repsol69

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys, certainly evident I am not the only one experiencing this issue and I plan to raise hell down here at my local Arrigo Dodge dealership! We are a small family company and have 10 ram trucks and none of the others have this same problem, so I hope they find a way to figure out the issue and get it resolved. They offered to call Chrysler and see if they have any input either so hopefully that has a positive outcome. Can’t imagine it’s anything that complicated. All I know is I’ll use whatever weight I have to throw around and get some action. I’ll keep you guys posted with updates.

Great let us know I’ve bought 2 trucks from Arrigo but this new one i bought Wallace in Stuart but I’ll be using Arrigo for all the service work if any needs to be done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNSmokee

Reaction score
I'm hoping it will be as simple as a programming update. I have lost count of how many vehicles I have owned and then how many others I have driven through my job. I don't understand why air is even coming from that vent without it being selected. I haven't paid that much attention with where the majority are either. I'm in a suburb of Memphis TN and it was 98 yesterday with a heat index of 110. Maybe it's a humidity thing. Oh well, this fixed it and it is easily removed and rolled up when I won't need it.

TNSmokee

Reaction score
Well I guess I was a little premature in saying it was fixed. I didn't have any yesterday but had this this morning. Way less than before but yet still there.
Frost.jpg
It took longer to form too. This is crazy and very aggravating.

KSOTI

Reaction score
In my case its just a very tiny bit of ice cold air leaking out ofthe defrost vent. Once my cabin has cooled and is comfortable i have started to move the temperature up and leave the fan alone. This seems to help. In other words i choose my settings for more air flow at a slightly warmer temperature rather than very little airflow at max cold. (I do not have the fancy dancy duel air model. I was hoping to avoid tech problems LOL) The leak is still there but doesn't fog the windshield as bad. This is just a bandaid/survival fix. Its a shame we have to even have to come up with work around solutions. Im not too keen on the idea of my particular dealership tearing into my dash.

Users who are viewing this thread