5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clunk no-more

Choate

Reaction score
Mines got the low speed rattle / clunk / light popping noise when coming to a stop or upon initial acceleration. Those suspension max links did not fix it. Really annoying. I can slightly turn my steering wheel when in drive but stopped and hear it sometimes too but with the wheel straight when coming to a stop it’s there too so I don’t think it’s in the steering but I don’t know. Going to have a shop take a look soon bc it’s driving me crazy. Mods in signature. I’m about to the point of just driving it and dealing with it bc I can’t figure it out and the shop that did the install with the end links said everything was properly torqued. Truck has 45k miles. Almost sounds like something is binding a little

E.Hands

Reaction score
Mines got the low speed rattle / clunk / light popping noise when coming to a stop or upon initial acceleration. Those suspension max links did not fix it. Really annoying. I can slightly turn my steering wheel when in drive but stopped and hear it sometimes too but with the wheel straight when coming to a stop it’s there too so I don’t think it’s in the steering but I don’t know. Going to have a shop take a look soon bc it’s driving me crazy. Mods in signature. I’m about to the point of just driving it and dealing with it bc I can’t figure it out and the shop that did the install with the end links said everything was properly torqued. Truck has 45k miles. Almost sounds like something is binding a little
If it was all on road then 45K is nothing.
You must locate the source. Don't just throw new parts at it randomly. Determine which corner its coming from. Then get under there when you have time to just look. If this has been going on for a while then it will leave signs. You might not be able to see the signs without some disassembly.
Can you make it happen by jumping up and down in the bed?

Last edited:

Choate

Reaction score
I don’t think jumping up and down in the bed would do it. Slightly turning the steering wheel can but it’s faint. My dad says he can’t hear it and I had him do it and I can’t hear anything under the truck. It’s definitely right under my feet on the drivers side. I read in other thread the brake caliper clips can make the noise. It might be that. The end links were something I did just because it’s a known weak part and it did seem to clean up noises over small bumps. Other than at very low speed and coming to a stop then just upon initial take off it’s dead quiet and even going over like a speed bump doesn’t make anything happen so it’s pretty weird

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If anyone on here has ordered suspension maxx links hoping it would work and it didn’t this might shed some light on that situation

I contacted suspension maxx and talked to a guy named John who was familiar with 5th gen RAMS and informed me they updated the links and sent me a new set

Left is old / right is new

They no longer use the design with the angled washer.

Installation this go around was smoother and the part that sits against the sway bar settled more naturally. taking the guess work out of rotating the angled washer into its correct orientation helped as well!

So far this has helped

IMG_7619.jpeg

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If anyone on here has ordered suspension maxx links hoping it would work and it didn’t this might shed some light on that situation

I contacted suspension maxx and talked to a guy named John who was familiar with 5th gen RAMS and informed me they updated the links and sent me a new set

Installation this go around was smoother and the part that sits against the sway bar settled more naturally. taking the guess work out of rotating the angled washer into its correct orientation helped as well!

So far this has helped

View attachment 180525
Thanks for the heads up man! I’m going to order a set soon. Glad you pointed this out so I can make sure to order them direct, instead of Amazon, to assure they are the latest model.

neeya

Reaction score
Having a very similar problem, clunking and also slight squeaking noise from front end, both, driver and passenger side wheel well area. Pretty loud but only noticeable at low speeds over small cracks or joints or pavers on normal roads. 39k Miles. Noise started the after having a shop put on 2" front spacer kit (Tuff country 32105, a POS...?) and 33s. Took back to the shop after a few weeks to check the install and they "couldn't identify the cause".

-Checking myself everything suspension related appears tight and torqued, no movement or noise from any joints or connections...
-Cannot replicate noise from bouncing the front end
-Removed stabilizer bar/links and noise remained. May look into longer Maxx links, any options for detachable links on market? Ain't broke, don't fix.
-Some wiggle and noise from both CV axles on the inner connection. Seems typical? Not as bad as that video above, no issues at speed, in 4wd, or other typical symptoms. (see Video in link IMG_5558.MOV )
-Coil spring silencer displaced after install, and cannot re-seat with installed. (see photo below)

Would be great to get some opinions on this.
1. Coil spring silencers? maybe have the shop fix it.
2. CV axles?
3. Maybe just need even more torque on the spacer kit since its moment is off. Rec is 30ft-lb (longer bolted connection needs more torque?) Maybe spacer is sliding in the hat since it doesn't bolt on?
4. Combination?

Screenshot 2024-04-05 093851.png

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having a very similar problem, clunking and also slight squeaking noise from front end, both, driver and passenger side wheel well area. Pretty loud but only noticeable at low speeds over small cracks or joints or pavers on normal roads. 39k Miles. Noise started the after having a shop put on 2" front spacer kit (Tuff country 32105, a POS...?) and 33s. Took back to the shop after a few weeks to check the install and they "couldn't identify the cause".

-Checking myself everything suspension related appears tight and torqued, no movement or noise from any joints or connections...
-Cannot replicate noise from bouncing the front end
-Removed stabilizer bar/links and noise remained. May look into longer Maxx links, any options for detachable links on market? Ain't broke, don't fix.
-Some wiggle and noise from both CV axles on the inner connection. Seems typical? Not as bad as that video above, no issues at speed, in 4wd, or other typical symptoms. (see Video in link IMG_5558.MOV )
-Coil spring silencer displaced after install, and cannot re-seat with installed. (see photo below)

Would be great to get some opinions on this.
1. Coil spring silencers? maybe have the shop fix it.
2. CV axles?
3. Maybe just need even more torque on the spacer kit since its moment is off. Rec is 30ft-lb (longer bolted connection needs more torque?) Maybe spacer is sliding in the hat since it doesn't bolt on?
4. Combination?

View attachment 180536

I’m starting to think mine is similar to this…..

Attaboy

Reaction score

Mine has been doing that since I hit 54,000 miles and I’ve tried Energy Suspension and Moog sway bar bushings. I just installed an OEM set (single piece/no slot) and will report on those after a while.

The popping/rattle would always come back after a week or two even with double checking torque specs on the bar brackets/end links.

Hopefully these work and last the same as factory. Seems like Ram did some re-engineering since the part number from Mopar has a G at the end.

E.Hands

Reaction score
that’s nice to know………….. 😴
It just seems to me that many here have gone straight to the sway bar bushings as the source of the noise, only to have the clunk return or persist.
If the old bushings don't get quiet with a shot of aerosol lubricant or show signs of significant wear on disassembly, then a swap to urethane bushings may only cause more NVH.
IMHO of course.

Last edited:

Jedi9

Reaction score

So far this has helped

View attachment 180525
Did they keep the length the same? Would you say it's stock length or longer? I talked to them a few months ago on lengths and was told they keep the length stock and just change the angle depending on the lift. With my 3" lift in front to get my sway bar horizontal I would actually have to shorten the links. With these trucks it appears the correct geometry is not horizontal on the front sway. I do have my rear sway links extended 2" and it is very close to being horizontal.

Choate

Reaction score
It’s been raining here and the truck is perfectly quiet. Just an update. Itll be back once it dries out

Jedi9

Reaction score
Is water lubing the bushings? Yall been putting any silicone grease on the bushings? My Belltech came with a small pack for the bushings

Choate

Reaction score
Mines going in for an oil change at a good local shop Friday and they said they’d take a look and listen for it. I doubt anything will come out of it but I’ll let you guys know. I seriously do think it’s the brake clips. It only happens at like 5mph or less when braking normally and then taking off normally. The lighter driving you do the more you hear it. Super hard driving (nothing crazy) but that does nothing. It’s totally quiet then

Choate

Reaction score
Well they figured it out. My amp power steps were touching the actuator when in the up position. Actually wore a little groove in the plastic housing of it. They adjusted the step bracket and the noise is totally gone now. They described it as a “light clicking or popping sound at low speeds” and that’s exactly what I was hearing. Glad it’s gone now and was a simple fix. They didn’t even charge me anything beyond the oil change

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this weird clunk from the right rear corner every time I go up a grade to the right. I don't hear it when i go up and left, just up and to the right.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this weird clunk from the right rear corner every time I go up a grade to the right. I don't hear it when i go up and left, just up and to the right.
I know you said right but do you have the rear bed step. could it be coming from there.
I know mine has some play in it and some times when I go over bumps I hear a clunk from the back. So far that is the only thing I have noticed

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Finally installed the suspension maxx links today. No more clunk and the squeak went away. The lower joints on the stock ones were both really loose, but couldn’t tell how bad they were until they were off.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did they keep the length the same? Would you say it's stock length or longer? I talked to them a few months ago on lengths and was told they keep the length stock and just change the angle depending on the lift. With my 3" lift in front to get my sway bar horizontal I would actually have to shorten the links. With these trucks it appears the correct geometry is not horizontal on the front sway. I do have my rear sway links extended 2" and it is very close to being horizontal.
The links are a tad bit longer but not a a lot maybe 1/2 an inch if a 1” and that’s pushing it. The angles to change depending on the lift size.

Users who are viewing this thread