5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clunk no-more

MagMan1379

Reaction score
So my 1500 has been plagued with the dreaded front end clunking/squeeking for a couple years now. Finally got to the point that when I stepped onto my sidesteps it would clunk and squeak…. Time to investigate. This forum pretty much narrowed it down to the front swaybar bushings and/or end links. So I ordered both, and replaced both.

Energy Suspension 5.5160R 36mm Front bushings
SuspensionMaxx Links

What I didn’t expect to see was thee amount of corrosion/rust/pitting under the stock bushings. Like BAD(see pics).

Did the install on both the bushings and links in little under two hrs in my driveway, (thank you creeper) and was SHOCKED at how quiet my truck was, or how loud it originally was pre-replacement. So let me say to all, if it squeaks or clunks over bumps, replace one or both of these components. Side Note- the boots on the end links were cracked, hence replacement. Truck has only 86k miles, would not have expected this level of damage to the swaybar.

Attachments

• IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1618.jpeg
    IMG_1618.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1621.jpeg
    IMG_1621.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 245

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Good to know. My truck has 80000km (50m) and I have been hearing the clunk, and of course the dealer "couldn't replicate or find it) before my warranty expired.
Sounds like this is the way to go. I appreciate your post, was it an easy at home repair? And do you need an alignment after?

MagMan1379

Reaction score
Good to know. My truck has 80000km (50m) and I have been hearing the clunk, and of course the dealer "couldn't replicate or find it) before my warranty expired.
Sounds like this is the way to go. I appreciate your post, was it an easy at home repair? And do you need an alignment after?
Easy, no. But if you’re mechanically inclined to endeavor the task, it’s do-able. A hoist is preferred, but jacking the front end up high enough to safely use stands was sufficient for me. Note: the OEM bushings have to be CUT off. I used a utility knife, and patience. No alignment issues that I could forsee, no pull or wheel alignment issues noted.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Can't find those suspension Maxx end links anywho online in Canada who sells them.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are these the correct ones? Mine are about due.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231029_204950_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231029_204950_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 38

Ready Go

Reaction score
I can confirm these do fit the DT 1500. I have a 2024 1500 Laramie G/T CC 4x4 and just swapped the stock bushings for the Energy Suspension bushings..the black ones. They fit perfectly and did make the truck flatter in corners. I do also have a rear 25mm Progress Technologies solid sway bar with poly-urethane bushings, set on the tight setting. Much better in corners and less tipsy in general now. This week I'm doing a "reverse level" with Pro Suspension 2" rear drop springs and Airlift bags to improve the handling even more. I did a test run with a 50 lb plate next to the tailgate and it transformed the level feeling of the truck!
(I believe the front clamps get torqued to 45ft/lbs..rears are 38ft/lbs)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231029-212744_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231029-212744_Samsung Internet.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, those are the ones I installed with 0 issues. More silicone maybe?
I'm at 65K. They ride fine/no noise but look at the pic (I was installing the fumoto today). Think I'm ready for new ones? 20231029_140706.jpg

Ready Go

Reaction score
I'm at 65K. They ride fine/no noise but look at the pic (I was installing the fumoto today). Think I'm ready for new ones? View attachment 170178
Those are definitely the OEM bushings..and they good/clean, as does the rest of your Ram, but in another 5 minutes you could swap the Energy Suspension bushings in with ease. (15mm socket, 45ft/lbs)

**That's the Fumoto F106SX, I assume? Did you add the white nylon 90°elbow in place of the short brass nipple?**

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those are definitely the OEM bushings..and they good/clean, as does the rest of your Ram, but in another 5 minutes you could swap the Energy Suspension bushings in with ease. (15mm socket, 45ft/lbs)

**That's the Fumoto F106SX, I assume? Did you add the white nylon 90°elbow in place of the short brass nipple?**
Yes they're definitely OEM. I'll probably swap them out. Doing the rear diff fluid change next week too so that only takes a few mins. Might as well do something else since I'll be under there.

That is correct on the Fumoto. I love this thing. I also got the hose just for sheets and giggles.

Thanks!

Attaboy

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced these more than once? I put a set on in October replacing the factory set at 52K, but they went out within about 3,500-4,000 miles. I used the supplied grease.

I waited to replace the second set until I installed 6112s this week and will order another. Could worn struts make these wear out prematurely? I’m already running the Suspensionmax end links.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a fourth set of factory sway bar bushings going on in the next few days, last set was installed over the summer along with a whole new sway bar under warranty. Dealer is 3+ hours each way so I just ordered a set to put on myself once it warms up.

Attaboy

Reaction score
Yeah, my plan is to keep at least two sets on hand. I’m just curious what’s causing them to wear out so often. Is it a design flaw, another component(s), or something else.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW, if you want to replace the sway bar and its mounting hardware, the guys on Truck Show Podcast are fans of the Hellwig products, and Sean Holman knows a TON about trucks. I have never used Hellwig products, because I don't need to mod my truck. But FWIW, if you want what is supposedly some of the best sway-bar related stuff out there, Hellwig is reportedly the best. And made in the US.
Our Products - Hellwig Products (input year/make/model)

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My theory is the rubber the oem bushings are made of is extremely hard and very thin. It doesn’t take much wear to start hearing the clunk due to the hardness of the rubber.

I have a set of the energy polyurethane bushings aswell, just haven’t installed them as the warranty has replaced my bushings for free several times now.

Seeing that the oem bushings are installed dry there is nothing to slow corrosion once they wear down and dirt/sand/salt gets inside the contact area and wear at the metal.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced these more than once? I put a set on in October replacing the factory set at 52K, but they went out within about 3,500-4,000 miles. I used the supplied grease.

I waited to replace the second set until I installed 6112s this week and will order another. Could worn struts make these wear out prematurely? I’m already running the Suspensionmax end links.
I replaced my oem (lasted 80000km)front sway bar bushings back in November with the energy performance ones I found on this site. Sounds like the clunk is coming back. So I think I'll be doing them again. About 7000 km before the clunk returned

Attaboy

Reaction score
FWIW, if you want to replace the sway bar and its mounting hardware, the guys on Truck Show Podcast are fans of the Hellwig products, and Sean Holman knows a TON about trucks. I have never used Hellwig products, because I don't need to mod my truck. But FWIW, if you want what is supposedly some of the best sway-bar related stuff out there, Hellwig is reportedly the best. And made in the US.
Our Products - Hellwig Products (input year/make/model)
I’d love to put a Hellwig 7877 on the front; already have the 7709 on the rear. When I contacted Hellwig, they said the 7787 won’t fit 2019’s and they do not make one that does. Does anyone know why? I think Ram increased the hole size where the end links bolt on to update the end links which are a known point of failure.

The only other option I’m aware of is a set of Belltec sway bars but I’ve only seen those sold in pairs.

Users who are viewing this thread