5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning vented seats

ktl5005

Reaction score
Hey guys. Look at picture below. What’s the best way to clean the vented seats? Looks like some dirt in the holes and I’m sure some
Might be dried leather conditioner.

Attachments

• 5B6334B3-778F-4DA1-83D7-24A96644A83B.jpeg
    5B6334B3-778F-4DA1-83D7-24A96644A83B.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 221

Sv250

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. Tried shop vac, air compressor, tooth brush snd a tooth pic. Tooth pic works but will take 10 years to finish.

Sv250

Reaction score
Mine was from maquires leather condioner gel. Dont use that crap!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I only use a spray cleaner/protectant on a t shirt, just a quick wipeover. Another 1st world issue... Who’d have thought that cleaning leather seats would cause these issues? There’s a couple detailers on this forum, maybe they will post about it.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When using conditioner on these seats, put some on your rag first, then fold over the wet part of the rag and rub to distribute the conditioner so that the rag is wet but doesn't have any blobs of conditioner in any place. That way when you wipe you'll get even coverage but won't jam any holes with too much.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have access to a vehicle steamer it may loosen it up so it's easier to get out. I also learned a trick from the auto fetish guy on youtube to use a dental gum stimulator tool. It has a rubber tip and it is a lot more safe than a toothpick.

Smon

Reaction score
Sometimes you can smack the seat next to the vacuum nozzle. The impact dislodges the stuck junk.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can of "Tuff Stuff" let it foam and settle and shop vac with brush attachment.

djjr50

Reaction score
Would a leather brush and some water work? Dampen the brush and go to work...

jkm312

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it’s going to take some time to clean lol
You might give some thought to using a small finish nail, could hold up better than a toothpick and not break off. Blunt the sharp end. Once you do get it opened up, I've been using 303 3 in 1 Leather Care on my seats and I'm very satisfied with the product. Learned of the product here in the forums.

Perhaps a small twist drill, spin it with your fingers and let the dried leather cream follow the flutes of the drill up and out.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
People who are using leather conditioner on new seats need to STOP. Leather is sealed with a clear coat. You aren't doing anything but smearing oily crap all over the seat. When the seats are well worn, do a color transfer test. If dye from the leather transfers to a white damp cloth, the coating is gone and conditioning can make a difference.

As far as cleaning the holes goes, I like to use clear shipping tape. Stick, press, and peel off a piece over the dirty areas. Should pull out whatever is in there. If not, try a vacuum or toothbrush (last resort because it will probably just push the dirt down into the cushion).

ktl5005

Reaction score
Tried the packaging tape. That was a futile attempt. Next attempt is Adam's leather and interior cleaner with their interior bristle brush. After that I have the Tuff Stuff can coming in and will attempt that. If that doesn't work I am whipping out the toothbrush and interior cleaner method. I Don't think it's dirt per say, but dried leather conditioner. None the less, looking at it is bothering me. LOL

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
People who are using leather conditioner on new seats need to STOP. Leather is sealed with a clear coat. You aren't doing anything but smearing oily crap all over the seat. When the seats are well worn, do a color transfer test. If dye from the leather transfers to a white damp cloth, the coating is gone and conditioning can make a difference.

Is this why Ram recommends a damp cloth to clean?

Ding Ding! We have a winner! If you want more protection add another layer like Carpro leather....at least it dries clear.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have access to a vehicle steamer it may loosen it up so it's easier to get out. I also learned a trick from the auto fetish guy on youtube to use a dental gum stimulator tool. It has a rubber tip and it is a lot more safe than a toothpick.
That’s the tool I have always used. It works like a charm but it’s labor intensive.

Reactions: Jtr

Users who are viewing this thread