5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clanking After Lift

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m posting this thread to see if anybody can help me. I’ve recently lifted my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with a BDS 2” Coilover Kit (1664F) and on the rear I added a pair of Icon 1.5” lift springs (212150).

After the lift I started hearing a metal on metal clanking at the rear, sounds louder on the passenger side, and I’ve inspected the sway bar end links, the rear control arms, the track bar, and all of them were tightened down. I also had the installer verify the suspension to make sure everything was still tight and they found that it was all torqued down. They went ahead and verified if anything was loose under the truck other than what I’ve mentioned and they didn’t find anything.

On Monday I’m taking it to the dealer for something else and will mention this to them.

Does anybody have any idea what it could be?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I wonder if it’s the actual coils in the springs clapping together over bumps. Icon uses a progressive rate correct? If so, your truck might be heavy enough to be completely compressing the first rate coils.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
I wonder if it’s the actual coils in the springs clapping together over bumps. Icon uses a progressive rate correct? If so, your truck might be heavy enough to be completely compressing the first rate coils.
I’ve thought about this but I’m having my doubts on since they were made for this truck and yes they are dual rate. If it is that then I’ll have to bite the bullet and swap them for the factory ones again and lower the front so that it stays level. I’m just praying it isn’t that since that would be $325 down the drain.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya! Well hopefully it’s not that. If it is though you could definitely sell them on the forum and make most of your money back! You could always add a spacer in place of the coils, or go with a different brand coil, or get the factory off road pack/rebel coils that are an inch taller as well.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya! Well hopefully it’s not that. If it is though you could definitely sell them on the forum and make most of your money back! You could always add a spacer in place of the coils, or go with a different brand coil, or get the factory off road pack/rebel coils that are an inch taller as well.
It’s tough selling those type of things down here in Puerto Rico but I’m gonna give it a try once I replace them with the factory off road springs that the truck already had.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
Heard back from “Ram1500rsm”, he had the same issue with his Icon springs and he informed me that since they are progressive its a common occurrence, he told me that he solved it by purchasing some Eibach coil sleeves that isolate the coils that rub so that they don’t hit metal on metal.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Heard back from “Ram1500rsm”, he had the same issue with his Icon springs and he informed me that since they are progressive its a common occurrence, he told me that he solved it by purchasing some Eibach coil sleeves that isolate the coils that rub so that they don’t hit metal on metal.
Wrapping the coils where that occurs is pretty common, so that’s not a crazy solution. Every set I’ve ever bought for car included them, but I’m not sure why the manufacturer of yours didn’t include them.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
Wrapping the coils where that occurs is pretty common, so that’s not a crazy solution. Every set I’ve ever bought for car included them, but I’m not sure why the manufacturer of yours didn’t include them.

Never will understand why they don’t include it if it happens all the time but if I can fix it on the side I won’t be complaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Nice. Glad it’s an easy fix! This was one of the reasons I didn’t add the Clayton off road springs as well because I heard the coils clap together a lot with that one because it’s triple rate so the top springs are legit together all the time.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
Nice. Glad it’s an easy fix! This was one of the reasons I didn’t add the Clayton off road springs as well because I heard the coils clap together a lot with that one because it’s triple rate so the top springs are legit together all the time.

Well if you ever want to add them to your truck “ram1500rsm” told me that he solved the issue on the Icons and his Claytons with this sleeve. CS5002L

Sugar

Reaction score
Same issue here with my icons. Even a slight load in the bed takes it away.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
Same issue here with my icons. Even a slight load in the bed takes it away.

Yeah it’s annoying but I’m hoping that with the sleeves it will solve it and I’m praying that, that is the issue.

Sugar

Reaction score
Yeah it’s annoying but I’m hoping that with the sleeves it will solve it and I’m praying that, that is the issue.

Post back and let me know. If it works I’ll get some also. If not I’ll buy 2 sand bags and keep ‘em in my bed 😂

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
Post back and let me know. If it works I’ll get some also. If not I’ll buy 2 sand bags and keep ‘em in my bed

That will definitely fix it. I don’t have a spare tire at the moment due to the fact that I went up in tire size so I might buy a spare that is exactly what I have on my truck at the moment so that I don’t have to rush to the tire shop to get a patch.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
That will definitely fix it. I don’t have a spare tire at the moment due to the fact that I went up in tire size so I might buy a spare that is exactly what I have on my truck at the moment so that I don’t have to rush to the tire shop to get a patch.

Ram1500rsm did tell me that he solved the issue with those sleeves did solve it for him.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I just installed the BDS 3” rear coils on my truck and it’s clanking too. I’m hoping it’s just the coils like it is with the Icons. I’ll probably buy those same coil isolators

dannymcd

Reaction score
If you put rear spacers in, it's probably them when hitting pumps, aluminum one's do it less because they don't have as much mass(weight) and carry less inertia. If it's coming from the front it's probably the sway bar links or tie rods, they can loosen a little as the settle into place while driving, or it could be the ball joint being over torqued and binding, you'll usually hear that while turning... If it is the rears, I'm in the same boat and the solution is rubber inserts between the OEM springs mount and spacer and the spacer and the spring. I haven't done it yet but I might when I switch from the airlift 1000HD(not that good) the Airlift 5000 kit.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
I just installed the BDS 3” rear coils on my truck and it’s clanking too. I’m hoping it’s just the coils like it is with the Icons. I’ll probably buy those same coil isolators

It’s annoying they don’t provide you with the isolators if they know it happens, which they must cause it’s pretty loud.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score

And good to know the BDS one’s do it too, for whenever I get the 6” lift I’ll know.

Users who are viewing this thread